26er

Sullivan Lake Trail outside Clayton Idaho

Anyone been on the Sullivan Lake trail just outside of Clayton Idaho on the edge of the Whiteclouds? Trying to do a Sullivan Creek to Jimmy Smith to Spud/Marco Creek ride.

or go Sullivan Creek to Big Lake Creek to French Creek.

Thanks...
    Live to ride!

Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Did you go? I have not been on that trail, but I have been up Big Lake Creek from Jimmy Smith lake. Its pretty brutal. I have been twice and was stumped both times and discouraged by the time I hit the heinous boulder field hike a bike.
    Let me know where you end up. I have looked from the bottom at Sullivan but the old bath house area is private property and was unsure of where the trail starts. From the top I've seen the junction.
    Ryon
    ATV = fat A$$

26er
    We are going up at the end of September. Sounds like it will be some good exploring.
    Live to ride!

Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

mtbr member
    May 2011
    It will be good to hear what you find out when you get up there. About 9 years ago we hiked from Jimmy Smith Lake up Corral Creek trail on a not much more than cow trail to the divide between Corral Creek and Sullivan Creek. There was a range fence on the divide so presume they hauled the materials up there somehow or flew them up. Probably came up Sullivan Creek as the trail up Corral Creek was pretty steep, sidehilly and narrow. It would be a real push on a bike going up that way but probably ok for going down. There were some old cabin remains we passed in upper Corral Creek. Looking on air photos on topofusion, the trail up Sullivan Creek looks pretty faint so probably dosn't get much use. Sounds like you already know of the private land in the bottom of Sullivan Creek and Spud Creek. I don't know what the public access situation is there. There is BLM and National Forest Land above both those parcels so either the Challis BLM or Challis Forest Service offices should know what the trail/road access situation is there. The Salmon-Challis NF travel plan for Spud and Marco creeks shows trails 4205 and 4176 as open to motorcycles so those trails probably get a lot more use than Sullivan or Corral Creek trails which aren't shown as open to motorized at least on the National Forest part. Don't you just love trying to find accurate info on trails you haven't been on? Best of luck on your trip and let us know what you find. The view from the top of Corral Creek was great. It was early spring with some snow patches still on the ground when we were up there.

26er
    Just talked to FS and BLM and they were not sure about accessing the sullivan creek trail across private property. Trying to track down the landowner, but at this point I imagine the trail is going to be faint so we might try French Creek.
    Live to ride!

Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail