Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Suggestions for camping in Sun Valley area

2K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Visicypher 
#1 ·
I'm looking for some advice on where to camp in the Sun Valley area.

We're trying to plan a Labor Day weekend camping/biking trip to the Sun Valley area. We haven't spent much time in that area, and are not familiar with the camping there. I know that Labor Day weekend will probably be busy, so I'm hoping to find a place that will take a reservation, since we won't make it up there until late Friday night at the soonest.

We've got a group of 6-10 people, and are open to any camping options (Forest Service to commercial camp sites w/showers).

Any ideas???

Thanks in advance!

#3 ·
utsnowgirl said:
I'm looking for some advice on where to camp in the Sun Valley area.

We're trying to plan a Labor Day weekend camping/biking trip to the Sun Valley area. We haven't spent much time in that area, and are not familiar with the camping there. I know that Labor Day weekend will probably be busy, so I'm hoping to find a place that will take a reservation, since we won't make it up there until late Friday night at the soonest.

We've got a group of 6-10 people, and are open to any camping options (Forest Service to commercial camp sites w/showers).

Any ideas???

Thanks in advance!
The reserved spots are likely all taken. But I've been up there this time of year, and found nice, relatively primitive spots available for free. Especially along Baker Creek, just north of the Easley Campground by the Easly Hot Springs. But there are probably lots of others if you're willing to explore a little, and don't need all the comforts of home.. Having the hot springs there for $3 shower visits ain't too shabby either...

CDB

#5 ·
My recommendation is deer creek rd just north of Hailey. If I remember correct there are 16 spots along the road as you drive up the road with the road getting progressively more rugged. Off of deer creek are countless good rides and you can easily drive or ride over to imperial and mahoney loop. These are not reserve sites so getting there early on friday will guarentee the best sites. My favorite site is at the end of the road..

#7 ·
There is lots of camping on the road behind the SNRA headquarters. Some are marked spots that are likely full. If you drive up trail creek (or turn right on Cabin creek) there are more spots. There are plenty without any facilities so they won't have reservations. The further you go up trail creek, the less likely you'll find people. There is a camp ground on top and more over the hill. These are far away but may have more openings.

#8 ·
hot springs...mmmmm

there are a lot of nice camps site out the warm springs drainage, as well as lots of buttah single track. warm springs starts in ketchum and goes west to one side of the resort then continues out into the 'board ranch' there are a couple of site off the paved road(close to town) then once the pavement ends there are alot of sites, six miles after the pavement ends there are some real nice idaho stylie hot-pots. anyway that's my 2cents. is ur crew from lcc. i spent seven winters there 10 years ago. there is a lot of old alta peeps up here now. let me know if you have any more ??
peace

#9 ·
Sun Valley Fire Update

utsnowgirl said:
We're trying to plan a Labor Day weekend camping/biking trip to the Sun Valley area.
Hey, utsnowgirl -

I'm assuming that you know that Sun Valley/Ketchum is burning.

Sun Valley has cancelled all events that were scheduled for this weekend, including the Big Hitch Parade, the Basecamp Music Festival, the criterium, etc.

Officials are asking people to stay away from the area so that the fire crews have access to roads and other resources.

Here are a few links for more info: https://www.blainecounty.org/
https://www.sunvalleyonline.com/images/member_images/articles/CastleRockBrief082607PM.6WB.jpg

The map shows the fire area as of this morning. Most of the good trails are within, or very near, the fire boundary. I've seen reports that firefighters expect the fire line to be at the HWY 75 later this week.

I don't know what the air quality will be like in the Sawtooth Valley, but Sun Valley will be UGLY!

I was planning on heading up there, but it looks like I'm switching to Plan B!

HH

#10 ·
Yeah, looks like we're on to Plan B, which is most likely Jackson Hole.

Any camping/riding suggestions there?

I've heard there's some new freeride stuff up on the pass, which looks fun, but we'll also have some intermediate riders with us too. Any suggestions for easier rides?

#11 ·
utsnowgirl said:

I've heard there's some new freeride stuff up on the pass, which looks fun, but we'll also have some intermediate riders with us too. Any suggestions for easier rides?
OK, glad you got the word. That would be a long drive for nuthin'! I'm not at all familiar with Jackson Hole area. Maybe Dave in Driggs can help you out. He's not too far from Jackson.

HH

#12 ·
utsnowgirl said:

since you'll be over there...another option would be to hit up the trails on the west side (idaho side). there's a map available. lots of great rides.

#13 ·
fire on the mountain

d'oh! won't be seeing the spearhead show then...hmmm....i guess we need a plan b too.

on a serious note, please thank your local firefighter (city and wildland) !!! our thoughts are with them, it ain't no walk in the park.

in a weird way, i'm missing being on the fires. it gets into your system.

here's a few pics from the red mountain fire (at a heli-drop, at the helibase, and in fire camp) outside stanley, about this time last year. and an obligatory bike shot (i rode this around fire camp, it belonged to one of the fuel truck driver's grandkids! )

and of course the k-max, the coolest heli ever! those rotors are all cut from the same timber (tree). the pilot is one of the new zealanders, super cool those kiwis! i'd like to hit some of their dirt. :yesnod:

Attachments

#14 ·
Uh, let me get this straight...

MTNgirl said:
d'oh! won't be seeing the spearhead show then...hmmm....i guess we need a plan b too.

on a serious note, please thank your local firefighter (city and wildland) !!! our thoughts are with them, it ain't no walk in the park.

in a weird way, i'm missing being on the fires. it gets into your system.

here's a few pics from the red mountain fire (at a heli-drop, at the helibase, and in fire camp) outside stanley, about this time last year. and an obligatory bike shot (i rode this around fire camp, it belonged to one of the fuel truck driver's grandkids! )

and of course the k-max, the coolest heli ever! those rotors are all cut from the same timber (tree). the pilot is one of the new zealanders, super cool those kiwis! i'd like to hit some of their dirt. :yesnod:
Yeah, no Spearhead or Clumsy Lovers. Dang! My kids are really bummed about missing those two shows and the car auction.

About that chopper... Are you telling me that the rotors are made of wood? If I believe what I'm seeing, those are side-by-side rotors, right? I'm guessing that they counter-rotate because I don't see a tail rotor, either.

If that's true, you fly (or flew) in a giant Cuisinart with rotors that have to mesh like an eggbeater with rotors made of wood that could get a bunch of crap tossed into them because of the prop wash. And not to be outdone you let a Kiwi pilot the thing. :eek:ut:

Did I get that right? Were you dropped on your head as a child? ;)

HH

#15 ·
to mr. smarty pants

whoa there cowboy! i'm no aviation expert, i just think they are neat helicopters. sheesh!

anyway, if you want to read about the k-max the specs are here:

http://www.superiorhelicopter.com/kmax_specs.php

as for being dropped on my head as a child, that is entirely possible! i know for sure that i jumped out of the hay loft in the barn with a towell around my neck (my cape, duh) when i was five. does that count? :D

frankie says relax. ;)

#17 ·
MTNgirl said:
whoa there cowboy! i'm no aviation expert, i just think they are neat helicopters. sheesh!
Sorry - I deal with a chopper pilot and Kiwis every day. The Kiwi is a search-and-rescue guy. Evidently he got a really cool ride to a mission in Stanley on a Blackhawk last week. I'd want that guy looking for me, but I sure wouldn't want to hop on a helicopter with him at the controls!

Way to go with the cape and haystack routine, by the way! :thumbsup:

Now back to your regulary-scheduled thread.

HH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.