Thread: Studded tires

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Studded tires

Is anyone running or planning on running studded tires on Boise foothills trails in the winter? This is my first winter riding and I'm trying to get the right gear.

the new Gilbert Grape
    Yes. I bought a set of studded tires at the end of last winter when they went on "close out" sale. I've none run them yet, but plan on it. Last year I crashed several times on trails due to ice, and don't plan on crashing this year. I bought cheap and heavy Nokian tires.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Yes. I bought a pair this year but haven't put them on yet. Since it's supposed to warm up a little bit over next week, I'll probably wait for the next cold snap.

gringo-fied facsimiles

studs?

I have been riding in the foothills almost all my life and have never felt the need for studs. its a good skills lesson to learn to ride in the snow and ice around here. my .02
    http://www.bradwaltonphoto.com
    "you slow whitted rectal beltch" -sp

mtbr member
    you don't need studs in the snow... but, if we ever get the thaw-freeze cycle that we did a couple of years ago when all trails became 3" of hard ice, studs are nice.... However, that has only happened once in like 15 years...

Contagious Xian
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    you don't need studs in the snow... but, if we ever get the thaw-freeze cycle that we did a couple of years ago when all trails became 3" of hard ice, studs are nice.... However, that has only happened once in like 15 years...
    It just looks so hardcore though Flip

I made that pair of Specialized tires from SJ's Hardrock into studded tires. Homebrew ghetto all the way.

gringo-fied facsimiles

no advantage

I rode sunday and feel that studs would have given you no advantage what so ever, there was no ice, and the snow moved from under the tire and even churned up sand, the studed tires would have just weighed you down with no bennefits. the schwalbe fat aberts 2.4 at 23psi had tons of grip up the trail and down.
    http://www.bradwaltonphoto.com
    "you slow whitted rectal beltch" -sp

bike me, then beer me

good for the road ice...

...but they are a weight penalty on the trails. I have to ride about a mile or so to the trails so it made me feel safe on the icey road parts today, but once I got on the trails, ugh, an extra couple lbs on the wheels made it a tougher go on the snow.

I plan on switching out the wheels until it gets knarly icey on the trails (if it ever does)

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks for the replies. I'd rather be safe than sorry so I ordered up some nokian 294's to mount on spare wheels so I have options. I was riding the foothills a couple w/e ago before that last cold snap and ran into several icy patches under the snow which I wouldn't have known were there if I hadn't noticed them when I rode up. Thanks again.

think pink
    A buddy of mine decided to throw studs on for our Sweet Connie ride the other day and had a miserable time. As he put it, "they consistently sucked at everything," they did poorly on the snow, dirt and rocks. As for the few ice patches, he went down hard crossing one of them.

bike me, then beer me

I noticed when...

...I put too much air in 'em, they are very difficult to manage. I run 38lbs on my Nokian 29ers and that seems to work pretty well on ice and ruts.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Which Nokians are you running?

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    38????

Good god man. I run 28 psi on my 29ers in the summer!!!. I run 20 in my 294s in the winter, At least, I used to when I rode.

...building wherever they'll let me...

illiterate or intoxicated
    Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher
    38????

Good god man. I run 28 psi on my 29ers in the summer!!!. I run 20 in my 294s in the winter, At least, I used to when I rode.

At least now you can blame the weather.
    "One often finds their destiny on the road taken to avoid it" - Master Ugway

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Stan's

Get rid of some weight by running Stan's. I did that last winter and was able to run the tires @ 30lbs on our dirt roads and snow mobile trails, and I'm 220 plus winter clothes, water bag etc. Worked great and didn't freeze (down to 10F).

BMX:Our Shining Future

Kenda Klondikes

love it love it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Studded tires-jr25.jpg  

jalepenio jimenez

ole yeller snow

cold as ice,
    hard as rock,
    black as night,
    and sweet as honey...

woof!
    I dig, chop, strangle, yank, stomp, annihilate, mutilate, eradicate, and FU goatheads