mtbr member
    May 2011

Stormin Stormy Peak

For about the last year a few of us had been talking about riding from Haystack Mtn west of Salmon down to the Pine Creek Bridge on the Salmon River near Shoup, Idaho. We finally got around to doing one of the trails. At the crack of 9 am we loaded up in the van and drove about 24 miles in a half circle to get 9 miles west of Salmon where we started pedaling on an old logging road in a drizzling rain headed for Stormy Peak.

We road about 5 miles up the road during which time I was thinking how to lighten my bike and I saw this new lightweight sign along the road. Maybe I could do this to my bike

After a few miles the drizzle quit and we took a break.

After getting to the top of Haystack Mtn at 8,800 foot elevation you could see the ridge in the direction of Stormy Peak. The right point of the two points is Point Of Rocks (8,368') and the trail goes just below it.

We pedaled a section of old jeep road and double track.

Next we passed the finger of rock below the point of rocks.

We had some really nice faint singletrack past the point of rocks.

Eight miles from the logging road turnoff we came to Stormy Peak Lookout (7,945' elevation)

We looked down at our destination area of the Salmon River at 3,360 feet elevation.

Holy sizzling Shimano's and Sram's Batman, Hot Hayes thats a long way down there. Yes sir, 3,345 vertical feet in the next 4 miles to be exact, just to get you down to the road. Off we went avoiding any serious mishaps or mayhem on a highly technical descent. (I walked in more than a few places and other highly skilled riders rode it all). On arriving safely at the road we took a break and prepared for another 1,000 vertical feet of descending on a much more gentle rate. Off now to the Shoup store where cold drinks and hot dogs and pizza and our shuttle vehicles were awaiting us. Thanks to the folks on the trail crews who recently cleaned and repaired this trail. Great work! Now if I could only figure out how to place the photo's in the order next to the text identifing them!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stormin Stormy Peak-p1010001.jpg  

Stormin Stormy Peak-p1010002.jpg  

Stormin Stormy Peak-p1010005.jpg  

Stormin Stormy Peak-p1010006.jpg  

Stormin Stormy Peak-p1010007.jpg  

Stormin Stormy Peak-p1010008.jpg  

Stormin Stormy Peak-p1010009.jpg  

Stormin Stormy Peak-p1010011.jpg  

Stormin Stormy Peak-p1010013.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Whoa! That's a long descent! Sounds like you're prospecting has turned up a gem. Again.