Thread: Star Valley

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Star Valley

Any riding in that area?
    Because, one is never enough.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Good question. We drove through today, sure is beautiful. The area around Salt Pass looked like great biking terrain.

mtbr member
    Wanna give this a bump. Me, my Wife & 5yo will be headed to Afton to see my mom from 7-4 thru 7-7. Planned on bringing bikes to ride around the area. Both of us are solid riders. I know about Jackson & all the great DH trails there, just trying not to leave the boy too long with grandparents : ). So, anything worth looking into?

Cheers,
    Stu

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by inkpad View Post
    Wanna give this a bump. Me, my Wife & 5yo will be headed to Afton to see my mom from 7-4 thru 7-7. Planned on bringing bikes to ride around the area. Both of us are solid riders. I know about Jackson & all the great DH trails there, just trying not to leave the boy too long with grandparents : ). So, anything worth looking into?

Cheers,
    Stu
    Yes, unfortunately I forge the names of the two trails I rode when I was working there 10 years ago (holy cow, that long ago already).

Both trails were south of town and within a half hour drive. The closest was on the east side of the main road and initially climbed southward along a small creek before switchbacking up above tree line. The other was farther out of town and west of the main road, then down a dirt road for some distance. That trail was named after some kind of creek (dry, crow, silver, etc).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-T View Post
    Yes, unfortunately I forge the names of the two trails I rode when I was working there 10 years ago (holy cow, that long ago already).

Both trails were south of town and within a half hour drive. The closest was on the east side of the main road and initially climbed southward along a small creek before switchbacking up above tree line. The other was farther out of town and west of the main road, then down a dirt road for some distance. That trail was named after some kind of creek (dry, crow, silver, etc).
    I know of two areas that may have some trail, Swift Creek, which is a service road along the creek, which ends at a natural Periodic Spring. We were going to explore that. Also, I remember quite a few years back me & a buddy rode out to Cottonwood Lake & headed up a hunting trail / singletrack, 3-4 miles back came upon a moose family, freaked out & rode back, them was some big animals!

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    IMO, the issue is that all of the easier to access trails throughout that area (Star/Swan) are mostly four-wheeler or horse dominated, and tend not to offer the most aesthetic trail experiences. I would imagine after a good rain, some of them could be quite fun...
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    IMO, the issue is that all of the easier to access trails throughout that area (Star/Swan) are mostly four-wheeler or horse dominated, and tend not to offer the most aesthetic trail experiences. I would imagine after a good rain, some of them could be quite fun...
    Yeah, figured that, as my parents have both horses & quads : ). Just gonna leave the Nomad at home & bring the Stumpy HT & explore.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Go to Alpine, northern-most town in Star Valley, and drive up the Greys River road. Follow the road for about 14 miles to Murphy Lake. Park at the lake, get on your bike and keep going past it. You'll see miles and miles of some stunning country and bike deep and high into the mountains.
    Or, on the south end of the valley, drive a mile and half up Dry Creek road about 5 miles south of Afton, turn east off highway 89, and ride Wikiup. Climb for about 2 miles and then enjoy ridge riding all the way to Cottonwood canyon overlooking the valley. Great ride.