TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

SS Worlds in Boise?. Not.

According to http://wildrockies.com/:

We learned yesterday that our bid to bring the World Championship Singlespeed Cross-Country event to Boise fell just short and after making the final cut, we weren't selected , but we were a finalist and managed to get the spotlight focused on the Boise area for a while in the singlespeed world, Not sure who got it, but we were led to believe that it is in Europe somewhere.
    Those in the know know it's Stockholm BTW. The gokart track at Boondocks and the local tattoo artists probably weren't good enough to make the cut.

Also according to George's 2006 MTB races listing there is a "Boise Banzai Singlespeed Championship" in October.

Does NE1 know the skinny on this?
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Hoops - Big and Small

I've got Skinny Tires

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    According to http://wildrockies.com/:
    Those in the know know it's Stockholm BTW. The gokart track at Boondocks and the local tattoo artists probably weren't good enough to make the cut.
    Also according to George's 2006 MTB races listing there is a "Boise Banzai Singlespeed Championship" in October.
    Does NE1 know the skinny on this?
    Thought the Banzia was Deer Point to Lucky 13.... throw another race on the wall and see if it sticks. I like mine aldente thank you.

Heard on the street - SingleSpeed Championship rules change this year One Gear + One Wheel. Thats all you get.
    Attached Images Attached Images

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_Burn
    Thought the Banzia was Deer Point to Lucky 13.... throw another race on the wall and see if it sticks. I like mine aldente thank you.

Heard on the street - SingleSpeed Championship rules change this year One Gear + One Wheel. Thats all you get.
    Sh!t man. You can't wear a dress riding that thing. What a rip.

mtbr member

Wtf

What is that guy holding with his right hand in the background (the dude riding the 32'er unicycle)? Is he holding a "shifter"?

Hoops - Big and Small

Hand Position

Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    What is that guy holding with his right hand in the background (the dude riding the 32'er unicycle)? Is he holding a "shifter"?
    Not sure what they are holding...maybe the brake

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_Burn

I may be slow but I'm not very fast. It took me a while to understand the implications of that picture. I'd love to see someone riding that bad boy FAST down Hulls on a weekday evening in May. It'd give new meaning to the term "dude".
    Last edited by TwistedCrank; 01-10-2006 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Feck if I can't spell Hulss

Unicycles are for clowns
    Feb 2005
    All kinds of rumors swirling...The "Duke Speed Foundation" I believe has something to do with the guy in Boise who won the large Powerball jackpot last year. He injected cash into the prize purse late last year for the series and was rumored to be on board this year for more involvement, which probably explains the increase and broader spectrum of races. The other rumor I heard was the series was going to return to NORBA sanctioning. Again these are just rumors I have heard.

Contagious Xian

Good job! I'd be more impressed...

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    I may be slow but I'm not very fast. It took me a while to understand the implications of that picture. I'd love to see someone riding that bad boy FAST down Hulls on a weekday evening in May. It'd give new meaning to the term "dude".
    ..if he rode up Hulls on that thing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kuna
    All kinds of rumors swirling...The "Duke Speed Foundation" I believe has something to do with the guy in Boise who won the large Powerball jackpot last year. He injected cash into the prize purse late last year for the series and was rumored to be on board this year for more involvement, which probably explains the increase and broader spectrum of races. The other rumor I heard was the series was going to return to NORBA sanctioning. Again these are just rumors I have heard.
    After years of preaching no license, Ron Dillon goes and makes his series license mandatory.

What's on your plate?
    Jan 2004
    I just want to see more Ron Dillon races where (1) the BLM razes 2 miles of the course the week before the race or (2) there are recreational motorcycle riders on the narrow singletrack sections of the race course, riding in large packs against the flow of the race traffic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    It seems that Ron gets ripped here whenever his name or series gets mentioned. In my dealings, both he and his wife have gone out of their way to be helpful and encouraging. Especially, in light of the declining numbers of racers in this region it is great for both the racing and mtb community as a whole that he continues to persevere offering additional race options (e.g. downhill events) and race dates. Damn, when the opportunity opened up he actually put in the effort to land the SSWC! Here in Boise! So he's NORBA-sanctioned this year. At least he's changing things up, adding, and tweaking events trying to increase his numbers. Not knowing the full effects of the NORBA affiliation yet, it will probably impact only the expert riders of which there were very few last year and most of them were card-carrying NORBAs anyway. With the NORBA Nationals moved up to July this year, it actually gives local riders a greater opportunity to qualify for them. Nobody's perfect. Overall, I think his work benefits the Idaho mountain bike community and I think he deserves some props for that.

Unicycles are for clowns
    Feb 2005
    um, as I said earlier it was a rumor I hear about Norba.
    Promoting an event requires insurance and Norba provides that also, so it's not just about getting nifty points. The qualifier race for Nationals is put on by the Knobby Tire Series. Back to SS discussion, I think a SS race/event in Boise would be sweetl. I think there are alot of guys/gals in town that SS (bunch on this forum), and usually they are a laid back crew.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kuna
    um, as I said earlier it was a rumor I hear about Norba.
    Obviously you have reliable sources! From the Wild Rockies web site:

"Please note that all of our events except Lava and Bordertown will be NORBA sanctioned this year."

Unicycles are for clowns
    Feb 2005
    Brilliant!

King of the Barneys
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamW
    It seems that Ron gets ripped here whenever his name or series gets mentioned. In my dealings, both he and his wife have gone out of their way to be helpful and encouraging. Especially, in light of the declining numbers of racers in this region it is great for both the racing and mtb community as a whole that he continues to persevere offering additional race options (e.g. downhill events) and race s. Damn, when the opportunity opened up he actually put in the effort to land the SSWC! Here in Boise! So he's NORBA-sanctioned this year. At least he's changing things up, adding, and tweaking events trying to increase his numbers. Not knowing the full effects of the NORBA affiliation yet, it will probably impact only the expert riders of which there were very few last year and most of them were card-carrying NORBAs anyway. With the NORBA Nationals moved up to July this year, it actually gives local riders a greater opportunity to qualify for them. Nobody's perfect. Overall, I think his work benefits the Idaho mountain bike community and I think he deserves some props for that.
    I agree, both on the substance of what you say, and based on the fact that Ron and Rhonda have been personal friends for a lot of years. They really care about their efforts to bring fun, interesting races to inland NW.

At the same time, I've seen a little of what EP refers to, and I'm not sure how you could fix or prevent those occasional interferences. I notice he brought back the Bordertown Challenge. That's a good one.

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamW
    It seems that Ron gets ripped here whenever his name or series gets mentioned. In my dealings, both he and his wife have gone out of their way to be helpful and encouraging. Especially, in light of the declining numbers of racers in this region it is great for both the racing and mtb community as a whole that he continues to persevere offering additional race options (e.g. downhill events) and race dates. Damn, when the opportunity opened up he actually put in the effort to land the SSWC! Here in Boise! So he's NORBA-sanctioned this year. At least he's changing things up, adding, and tweaking events trying to increase his numbers. Not knowing the full effects of the NORBA affiliation yet, it will probably impact only the expert riders of which there were very few last year and most of them were card-carrying NORBAs anyway. With the NORBA Nationals moved up to July this year, it actually gives local riders a greater opportunity to qualify for them. Nobody's perfect. Overall, I think his work benefits the Idaho mountain bike community and I think he deserves some props for that.
    His wife rocks. She truly is a good thing for local racing.

What's on your plate?
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CBro
    At the same time, I've seen a little of what EP refers to, and I'm not sure how you could fix or prevent those occasional interferences.
    Neither was his fault, and they were able to re-route the Barking Spider course in time for the race. I like Ron's races, but I get a better vibe from Davey and Cynthia's races. (Plus, Cynthia is a bit easier on the eyes than Ron.) In any event, Ron gets huge props for even making a pitch to get the SS worlds here. Dunno if it will ever happen, but how cool would that be if it did?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    Neither was his fault, and they were able to re-route the Barking Spider course in time for the race. I like Ron's races, but I get a better vibe from Davey and Cynthia's races. (Plus, Cynthia is a bit easier on the eyes than Ron.) In any event, Ron gets huge props for even making a pitch to get the SS worlds here. Dunno if it will ever happen, but how cool would that be if it did?
    I could make a pitch to get the World Series at Memorial Stadium, but that doesn't mean it's anything but hot air. I think that's the beef many have with Ron. Lots of talk. Lot and lots.

What's on your plate?
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by westin
    I could make a pitch to get the World Series at Memorial Stadium, but that doesn't mean it's anything but hot air. I think that's the beef many have with Ron. Lots of talk. Lot and lots.
    Maybe not the cleanest analogy (Superbowl at Fronco Stadium would perhaps fit), but I see your points. Given the fact that I've never seen more than a few singlespeeders at any one race, I'm not sure a SS specific race could ever get off the ground in Idaho anyway. Hosting the "worlds" would be the only way to get enough SS'ers to town to make it worthwhile to have a SS specific race.

(FYI, IMT is carrying wool jerseys.)

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Maybe not the cleanest analogy (Superbowl at Fronco Stadium would perhaps fit), but I see your points. Given the fact that I've never seen more than a few singlespeeders at any one race, I'm not sure a SS specific race could ever get off the ground in Idaho anyway. Hosting the "worlds" would be the only way to get enough SS'ers to town to make it worthwhile to have a SS specific race.

How many singlespeeders do you think there are in Stockholm? If they wanted to put on a SS event in a SS-centric community they'd do it Eugene. Or Bejing. The criteria for holding the race was commitment and support, not how thriving the SS community is. The race slots fill up within hours of announcement that registration is open. Check out how well last years's event was put on in Cycling News

Heh check out the for this year's event here. Det här domännamnet är registrerat och parkerat hos Loopia Webbhotell AB.

You can get the KY at RiteAide along with some Carlo Rossi chardonnay.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

I think I saw a Surly black in there. No need. I've gone back to cotton.

What's on your plate?
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by westin
    I think I saw a Surly black in there. No need. I've gone back to cotton.
    Actually, I was referring to the Smartwool tops. Not exactly sure if they're cycling jerseys, but I'm sure they'd work as such. I like those black wool Surly long sleeve jerseys, but $100+ for a jersey? Shee-it.

Unicycles are for clowns
    Feb 2005

Changes

Was on the Wild Rockies website this morning. The SS race listed is now gone , and they have moved some dates, changed race names, and added new races, including one in Salmon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Kuna,

The updates at Wild Rockies do seem to come slowly. Be careful. The race dates on his home page are for 2006, but it doesnt appear that his MTB race page has been updated. The latter still lists last year's race dates. I believe the SS race was the World SS Championship that WR tried to land that fell through. Interestingly I have seen the "Boise Banzai Singlespeed MTB Championships" listed on other web sites with a reference to the Wild Rockies site, but have yet to see that one mentioned by name on WR. Give Ron a call and I'll bet you get the scoop. The Salmon race was in the works since last summer when Mr. Duke came on board. I believe it is Brad's hometown and it was his wish to have a race up there.