Thread: SS in Boise?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

SS in Boise?

I currently ride my Salsa Spearfish in the foothills (29er FS). I am in need of a commuter since I just moved from Meridian to Boise and need something cheap to ride around town that's not my Spearfish.

I was thinking of getting a rigid SS so I could ride it in the hills too. Anyone here run SS? We don't have a lot of rolling hills, more just all up, all down so just want to see if many do it here. If you do, what gear ratio are you using?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    I bought a SE Stout (SS rigid) for commuting in Boise for @ $350. It's trail-worthy, but rattles my brains out in the rough stuff. 32-20 works for me in the foothills.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I ride my SS pretty extensively in the footies. It's a 29er SS rigid cheapo internet special. I think you'll have a tough time finding an SS that works for commuting and foothill trails unless you want to swap out the rear cog for each type of ride. I run 32:18 which works on all the lower camelsback/reserve trails and most of the other local trails, but that gear ratio SUCKS on the road or flat sections of trail because you have to go like a meth'd out gerbil to make any kind of speed. A brisk but comfortable cadence with 32:18 get's you around 13mph.
    I'd want at least 32:11 for commuting roads around town, provided you're not going up Bogus...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Commuting was probably the wrong word. I just need something to cruise to downtown with when needed with family, etc.(coming from Hill Rd/Bogus Basin Rd area). I'm just going to give it a try and see how it feels. I have the 32 up front and will play with a few combos to see how well they work.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    That's exactly why I bought my SS. I wanted something easy and reliable that wouldn't attract the eyes of thieves. When it's not on the trails, I hook up the kiddy wagon to it and tow them around to parks and such. It's perfect for it. 32:18 works great for casual riding and I have no trouble pulling two kids in a bike trailer. When I get strong enough I plan on going down to a true 2:1 at 32:16

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by stackwalker View Post
    That's exactly why I bought my SS. I wanted something easy and reliable that wouldn't attract the eyes of thieves. When it's not on the trails, I hook up the kiddy wagon to it and tow them around to parks and such. It's perfect for it. 32:18 works great for casual riding and I have no trouble pulling two kids in a bike trailer. When I get strong enough I plan on going down to a true 2:1 at 32:16
    Looks like the rear cog I have is a 16T so hopefully I'm feeling strong. I'll probably order an 18 as well in case it's too much.

That's pretty much exactly what I want to use mine for. Something not too flashy for thieves and so I don't have to use my Salsa to pull a bike trailer. Plus I'd like to run some trails occasionally just for something different.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm sure you'll be fine with the 16t. The 18 has not really made me work overly hard on anything except Sidewinder and anything steeper than sidewinder. Fine for Kestrel, Red Cliffs, Hulls, Shane's, Bucktail. I've been tempted to try it on Corrals, but there are a couple spots where I'd be pushing. 32:16 will make you a bad ass for sure tho

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I do it, but I'm not good at it. 32:18 is perfect for rides like Rocky Canyon or any of the mellower trails. Some guys run 32:20 and ride some of the steeper trails, which I can do if I don't mind walking half the time. I haven't tried 32:16 yet. Give 32:20 a try and If you're a wuss like me it will be perfect!

hispanic mechanic
    When we were in Boise last July, I rode everything ( Camel's Back, Eagle Bike Park, Bogus, Eastside...) on 32x18 (29" wheels.) That's what I'm used to, and while the first week hurt, I felt pretty good the rest of the month.
    When we move out there at the beginning of October, I plan on using the same gear.

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I saw a few people going up hard guy on singlespeeds last weekend which I'd say is a pretty good test.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yeah.. to do HG on SS, just get a good running start before you hit the hill and let your momentum carry you up....