Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sprokids

Rocks Rock

Sprokids

Paging Harley or someone with SPROKIDS. Ya think some of the female members of SWIMBA would have time and energy to do some thing like this in Boise? See below copied from the MORE web site in the Washington DC area.

The Bike Lane and MORE will be hosting 2 Women's Beginner Mountain Bike Skills Session

posted by, MORE (Registered User)

#1 Yesterday, 08:43 AM
    Session 1 ($30): April 12, 19, 26
    Session 2 ($30): May 10, 17, 24

Each session will have 3 clinics that will focus on building a strong skills foundation for the beginner mountain biker.

We will work on basic climbing, descending, cornering, and obstacle skills while riding the trails at Wakefield and Accotink Park. This is a great opportunity for any woman who has just begun mountain biking or who needs a little encouragement on the trail.

The first session will begin on April 12 at 6:30 pm at Wakefield Park for 3 consecutive Wednesdays.

The second Session will begin May 10 for 3 consecutive Wednesdays at the same time and location.

Every participant MUST be a current MORE member or become a member by the first clinic. You can join MORE here.

There will be a $30 registration fee for each session.

100% of the registration fees will be donated to Trips for Kids. If you do not have a mountain bike Trips for Kids can provide one for an additional $10 per session. Please register at The Bike Lane (www.thebikelane.com). If you have any questions please email info@thebikelane.com.
    When we teach all children from age 5 on to meditate just 1 hour per week on compassion war will end within 3 generations.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Dave,

Heather (Thiry) is already teaching a women's mtb class in addition to a co-ed beginner and the kid class. Does that answer you ???
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member

women's mtb clinics

are available (as mentioned by visicypher) thru parks and rec. also i know that michelle wiens does a clinic with barb kreisle at tamarack that is supposed to be pretty good.

anyone done any of these clinics?

i wish the sugoi dirt series was going to be in sun valley again this year. i know some ladies who went last year and shared a condo. fun stuff!
    Idaho dirt, river, sky

Rocks Rock

Thanx, ya'll

I'm hoping some one can teach my wife when and how to shift cause I just don't speak that laguage, I guess.
    When we teach all children from age 5 on to meditate just 1 hour per week on compassion war will end within 3 generations.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by MTNgirl
    are available (as mentioned by visicypher) thru parks and rec. also i know that michelle wiens does a clinic with barb kreisle at tamarack that is supposed to be pretty good.

anyone done any of these clinics?

i wish the sugoi dirt series was going to be in sun valley again this year. i know some ladies who went last year and shared a condo. fun stuff!

I go to Rossland for Devineride clinics... Yeah, I know, too far but it's a lot of the same coaches as Sugoi dirt series. Sugoi WILL will be in Ketchum this year, it's on the Calendar.
    http://www.dirtseries.com/sds_schedule.php
    It's totally awesome, worth every penny

mtbr member

thanks formica!

i missed that scrolling the locations the first time. i am going to plan on attending...happy birthday to meeeee....a little early.
    Idaho dirt, river, sky

Don't worry, be happy!
    I'd think about going to Ketchum but it's a 9 hour drive for me.

Barb and Michelle are great teachers and very cool ladies. I've never taken there class, but I have rode with Barb b4 and she is a great lady. MtnGirl, you should ride with her. You could learn a lot. The woman can ride.

Hi!!!
    Whatever happened to Lauren Dorsch? She ran Sprockids for a bit, but apparently she's gone now? Did she go to grad school or something?

She is still around. Got a new crush?

Hi!!!
    And on a somewhat related topic....

Brooke Blackwelder is teaching two different classes this spring at BSU...one is for racing and another one is for women's only MTB'ing. Not quite sure if the general public can enroll in those classes though.

Also...and someone please correct me if I'm wrong...but wasn't it BOMBB or another group that put together weekly women's instructional type of rides originating from CB?

mtbr member

Bombb

yeah, they have a huge online group (yahoo) and i've ridden with them a few times. other than the spring REI clinic and a ride following that, most of the rides are just ladies posting up when they are heading out, who wants to join, etc..

kinda like this board. i found the group to be mostly beginners (like i was not so long ago) and great for women new to the sport. mostly networking, which is cool. i could be wrong but i don't think they have regularly scheduled rides.
    Idaho dirt, river, sky

mtbr member
    aaww, c'mon formica!! you can camp with me. what's 9 hours?! such a lovely drive...
    Idaho dirt, river, sky

Hi!!!
    yeah, they have a huge online group (yahoo) and i've ridden with them a few times. other than the spring REI clinic and a ride following that, most of the rides are just ladies posting up when they are heading out, who wants to join, etc..

kinda like this board. i found the group to be mostly beginners (like i was not so long ago) and great for women new to the sport. mostly networking, which is cool. i could be wrong but i don't think they have regularly scheduled rides.
    The more I think about it, the more I think it was either Tamarack ladies or another women's group not affiliated with BOMBB. They use to advertise their rides in the Thursday REC section.

I think it was last year that flip helped out with some instructional stuff. But I don't know the exact affiliation. I think Barb Kriesle was also part of it?

Does anyone know if Tamarack is offering lessons again this summer like they have in the past? Kinda spendy, but I've spoken with some people that had a great time at it.

mtbr member

yup

schedule is on tamarack's site.
    Idaho dirt, river, sky

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    The more I think about it, the more I think it was either Tamarack ladies or another women's group not affiliated with BOMBB. They use to advertise their rides in the Thursday REC section.

I think it was last year that flip helped out with some instructional stuff. But I don't know the exact affiliation. I think Barb Kriesle was also part of it?

Does anyone know if Tamarack is offering lessons again this summer like they have in the past? Kinda spendy, but I've spoken with some people that had a great time at it.
    You're right. Last year, Barb, Michelle, and I taught the majority of the Performance High Beginner and Intermediate mountainbiking classes. Denise also helped with the technical rock classes. We are doing it again this year and Michelle is also offering a bike maintenance class. Her website is: www.performancehigh.com
    Performance High used to teach classes at Tamarack but this year, I think the Tamarack team will be teaching classes there so Michelle is considering other venues. The classes at Tamarack won't be Performance High classes.
    We just firmed up the schedule a few weeks ago so if you want dates of the classes, you can contact Michelle on her website. The bike maintenance classes will be offered on Tuesday evenings, once a month for 1 hour.

Hi!!!
    schedule is on tamarack's site.
    Forgive my dumbness, but where on the site is the schedule info?

mtbr member

Sprockids Spring Schedule

The Sprockds Supervising instuctor for 2006 is Heather Thiry who is taking over where Lorien Lightfield started and Loren Dorch further developed the program growing it over 200% in 3 years!! Loren is now with the Girl Scouts and Lorien is working as a Teacher and is very involved in cycling as a Tamarack Team member and fluffer for Darren Lightfield ;-) also a Freeriding Eco-Lounge lizard.

Here is the schedule and check out www.cycleidaho.com "events" for a list of other rides/clubs etc.

Happy Trails!
    Harley Parson
    Director
    Sprockid/CycleIdaho
    >>>>
    For those interested in developing
    their Mtn biking skills (Kids and Adults). SprocKids is a Mtn
    Biking youth development program that has been sponsored by Boise
    Parks and Rec and has been in existance for over 3 years. These
    classes are ideal for beginners. Also for those interested in Trail
    projects/events check out www.swimba.org

SprocKids, Spring Classes 2006 !

SprocKids Parent and Child Mountain Bike Boise (ages 6-8 & 9-12)
    Parents and kids will experience the beauty of the Foothills while
    learning mountain biking skills and building a strong relationship
    with each other. Class meets 9 a.m.-noon April 8, 15 & 22 for ages 6-
    8; 9 a.m.-noon May 6, 13 & 20 for ages 9-12. Cost: $81 Boise City
    residents, $125 non-resident.

SprocKids Mountain Bike Boise (ages 9-12)
    Kids will learn technical riding skills, bike maintenance, fitness
    and nutrition while enjoying the outdoors in this three-week
    Saturday class. Class meets from 10 4 p.m. April 8, 15 & 22. Cost:
    $41 Boise City residents, $63 non-residents.

Spring Break SprocKids Mountain Bike Camp (ages 6-12)
    Explore single-track trails on the Boise Front in this week-long,
    half-day camp. Learn technical riding skills, bike maintenance,
    safety, respect and more. Camp meets March 27-31 from 9 a.m.-noon
    for kids 6-8 and from 1-4 p.m. for kids 9-12. Cost: $63 Boise City
    residents, $98.65 non-residents.

Adult Coed Mountain Bike Boise (ages 18+)

April 26, May 3, 10 Coed Beginner MTB Adult
    Wed / 5:30-7:30pm

Join instructor Heather Thiry, a member of Boise's Team Tamarack, on
    the single-track trails of the Boise Foothills. She'll provide
    instruction in technical riding, fitness and nutrition, training
    techniques and more. Participants will fine tune their descending
    skills, uphill climbing, balance, speed and confidence. Class meets
    from 5:30-7:30 p.m. April 26, May 3 & 10. Cost is $61 Boise City
    residents; $94 non-residents.

Women's Adult Mountain Bike Boise (ages 18+)
    May 17, 24, 31 Women's Beginner MTB Adult

There's no need to ride alone! Instructor Heather Thiry, a member of
    Boise's Team Tamarack, takes female riders on the single-track
    trails of the Boise Foothills. She'll provide instruction in
    technical riding, fitness and nutrition, training techniques and
    more. Participants will fine tune their descending skills, uphill
    climbing, balance, speed and confidence.

Instructors are first-aid certified elite mountain bikers.
    Bikes and Helmets are provided for participants who need them.

All classes meet at Fort Boise Community Center, 700 Robbins Road.

Youth scholarships are available.

Register by calling 384-4486 or in person at Fort Boise Community
    Center.

Contact Heather at:

sprockidsboise@hotmail.com

Hi!!!
    On a distant related note.....

Jenny Hennessey (oh Earthpig....) will be giving a women's MTB presentation at REI next month (it's on a Wednesday night) and then the next evening at 5:30pm she will be leading a group ride beginning at I believe Camel's Butt.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    There are lots of great developmental MTB programs esp for kids in Boise.

But what's lacking are girls-only riding programs. To overgeneralize: boys like to race and jump, girls like to ride and be together. I've got a 9YO daughter who can hammer with the best of them but is not interested in these programs because (in her mind) the boys take all fun out of it. A good example of how to provide something of value to the girls it the Girls on the Run programs - which not only teached good running but also emphasizes self esteem and values.

I suspect there would be more interest from the girls if there were girls-only groups.

Just a thought.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Hoops - Big and Small
    I can't believe your post! It so, well personal...hmmm did you miss Harley's reference to fluffing?

So does a bike fluffer carry a Topeak JoeBlow?

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_Burn
    I can't believe your post! It so, well personal...
    The meds seem to be working.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Howley
    Women's Adult Mountain Bike Boise (ages 18+)
    May 17, 24, 31 Women's Beginner MTB Adult

There's no need to ride alone! Instructor Heather Thiry, a member of
    Boise's Team Tamarack, takes female riders on the single-track
    trails of the Boise Foothills. She'll provide instruction in
    technical riding, fitness and nutrition, training techniques and
    more. Participants will fine tune their descending skills, uphill
    climbing, balance, speed and confidence.
    Sounds like something my personal fluffer (no, not cinnoman monkey's mom) would enjoy. I'll have to pass along this info to her - she needs to get out on her bike!

Hi!!!

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    Sounds like something my personal fluffer (no, not cinnoman monkey's mom) would enjoy. I'll have to pass along this info to her - she needs to get out on her bike!
    I've talked to some ladies that have taken Lauren's women's only class and they loved it.

However...wouldn't you be able to teach her everything she would need to know about MTB'ing?

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    Actually there is a more better way to get your fluffers out on the bikes. Take em out on one of your typical rides, insist that they keep up, tell em that's the way it is and the way it's always going to be, tell em to suck it up, tell em that the faster they go the more stable they are and get really pissy when they start to whine. Not.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast