mtbr member
    May 2012

souther Idaho Early November

Hi all,

Can you tell me if trails are rideable early November in Southern Idaho? Also, we are intermediate AM riders from Fernie, BC. What are the trails like there? Can we stay in one area and access a week's worth of trails?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Im hoping this thread gets some replies, i am interested too.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    It could might be sunny and dry.
    It could might be snowy and impassable.
    Looking out the window from here in Teton Valley/Jh, , (massive gobby snowflakes), and looking at the forecast for S. Idaho, I would plan on heading further south.
    unless, of course, it dries up.
    In which case, you will be able to ride a little bit.
    Or not, if the trails stay wet.
    Or maybe, if you go out early, and the trails are frozen.

Does that help? ;-)

mtbr member
    May 2012
    haha, thanks so much

Can you tell me where I should be looking at least? Can you refer me to a website that has a good list of the trails? Do you have a description of what the trails are like in the area?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Anywhere in SW Idaho would be fine. SOuthern Idaho all the way until you hit the Tetons in SE Idaho should be good to go. This is a good time of year to ride, and I don't think we will get much snow besides in SE idaho way up in the mountains until later November.
    It's all downhill from here.
    (There's a **** of a lot of climbing left.)

26er
    I agree early November is going to be a little cold, but trails will be in good shape and generally snow free except at very high elevations. If you want to stay in one area for a week and ride then Stanley or Sun Valley might be a good option. There is great riding all over the state so a little traveling might be worth it to hit a bunch of variety.
    Live to ride!

Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    Coming from BC, the boise area doesn't have much to offer.. I would head elsewhere.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Stop this Derailleur Madness!!.... De-Rail-er

See what the God of bikes has to say about it..

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    It will all depend on the weather. I was riding local trails last season until mid January.

mtbr member
    Snow predicted all week in Sun Valley which means that unless it gets really warm, north trails will hold snow until real winter sets in. You can get an idea by looking at Sun Valley mountain cams which range from 5800 to 9000 feet and covers the range of trails in the area.

Boise is great for longer XC rides with elevation gains up to 3-5k feet, but the upper reaches will have the same snow problem. Look at Bogus Basin web cams covering 6000-7800 feet.

mtbr member
    We can ride here in Salmon well into November. Check the link on my Sig.

We were on dirt on trails in the foothills every month of this last year, not usual occurrence but it happened.

We can ride the high country until mid Octo to mid Nov. Looks to be earlier this year.

In Twins Falls, Indian Springs Trails looks to have late season promise too.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    thanks a lot Chukt, which trails on your link would be considered high country? Would we stay in Salmon? Are dogs allowed on the trails? How would you rate the trails? AM or XC? moderate or challenging?

mtbr member
    Discovery Hill singletrack starts about 2 miles from downtown. XC Moderate difficulty. Rolling sage hills. Dries out fast up there. I ride from home unless I have the dog. No rules about dogs, take them where you want.

Barracks Lane has a few loops. XC rolling sage hills, more challenging, but pretty tough route finding w/o a "guide" or a GPS. Takes a little longer to dry out. Nothing is signed there. We are working w/ the BLM to make that happen, but waiting for the gears to turn.

Wagonhammer is great XC riding in the lower elevation trails, AM in the upper. The XC is more challenging than Barracks. Probably snow on the northern aspects and in the trees.

Lower Williams/Perreau Trail might still be good now.

Our weather has been very unsettled lately, and looks to continue this way for awhile, 18F this morning. So the higher rides are seeing more snow, plus it is hunting season. You could probably ride up there in a couple inches of snow, but the door is closing fast.

The foothills are fine if you don't mind the temperatures.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks everyone for the information. Looking at the temps for the area, as pointed out it looks a little unsettled. While still more chance of biking then here in the snow, we have opted to drive further (ugh 2 days) and hit Moab/Fruita.

this thread has made me stoked to go riding next year in S. Idaho though, especially the Salmon area where it is only about 600kms away!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Pocatello's dirt is killer right now. If your headed to moab stop ion the way by or on the way back through. I assume you will be on I-15. Moabs great this time of year. If you stop in Pocatello let me know and I'll give you a tour.
    ATV = fat A$$

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Still riding all of the stuff below 8k here in the Teton Valleys, if you head this way, give a shout.