Laramie, Wyoming

Southeastern Wyoming Fatbikers?

I haven't seen many/any, but are there some fatbikers near Laramie that want to ride this winter?

How about on the "Global fatbike day" December 1st?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I'm moving to Laramie in 3 weeks, I'll have my moonlander ready to roll all winter. Wont know anything abut the area though.

mtbr member
    I know that the Pedal House will have fatbikes.

nre7766: Good riding on Happy Jack ski trails. I have not lived in Laramie for 12 years...the ski club folks got pretty grumpy when we rode the trails so we stealthed at night and when the snow was super firm. Maybe that has changed?

Also good riding west of Larryland on snowmobile trails out of Albany and Centrennial. Crazy w/ sleds on weekends but mellow during the week.

Ski trails near Wyo/Colo too.

Check for proper etiquette w/ the Pedal House.

Laramie, Wyoming
    For one, they aren't ski trails. They are biking trails that many use during the winter to ski on.
    Second, it's national forest land, not ski club land! It isn't land that the ski club owns or leases in any way.
    Third, the same is true of the Snowmobile trails.
    Fourth, I don't, and haven't ever understood the outdoor snob attitude in Wyoming. I've lived here most of my life and enjoy a lot of different activities. They can all work together and play together in the same area. The skiers don't understand fatties yet. I ride with some of the skiers in the summer and they aren't the friendliest bunch then either. Many I've known for thirty or forty years and they are still hard to talk to. To heck with them.

mtbr member
    Whoa....easy big fella.

Just offering some ideas for nre7766.

Many of the Happy Jack trails did indeed start out as ski trails. What you have today is the result of a proactive mtn bike and ski community and a receptive USFS w/ a little piracy mixed in.

There are any number of other items in your 4 points that we could expound upon. ****, we probably know each other if you have been in Laramie that long...but that is all off topic...and it is time to ride.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Well, trails don't start during winter under snow. I don't remember any of the trails really being there when the ski area was there. This will probably come to a head over the next year as more people purchase and ride snowbikes/fatbikes. I've had several of the skiers ask me if I was planning on riding my snow bike on the trails during the winter and I've promptly replied in the affirmative.

nre should know, in Wyoming, the hikers don't like bikers, hikers and bikers don't like Hunters, those on ATVs, or those in four Wheelers, skiers don't like the snowmobilers, and the biodiversity folks think we ought to just look at the mountains from the city through binoculars not realizing that if we just leave the forests alone they won't be there in the same way in a hundred years anyway.
    Last edited by alphazz; 11-18-2012 at 05:48 PM.

mtbr member
    You guys must be in a weird part of wyoming. Everyone I run across is nice and courteous to everyone. It is all of the greenies that are jerks.

Laramie, Wyoming
    jrogs, I wish what you say was true. I have recently been logging about 300 miles of road riding every week. I would say that those with green plates are as a whole more courteous than those from Wyoming. The biggest road jerks that I have noticed are Wyoming cattle trucks.

Fat Biker
    I'll join you guys on my half fat if the snow is packed well or not to deep. My Black Sheep fatbike won't be ready til March
    Don't be a Hater!
    SS Black Sheep Phat Speedster
    Borealis Yampa XX1

Rolling on 2 Fat Tires-Blog

Laramie, Wyoming
    How does the "half fat" work on snowmobile trails?

Fat Biker
    I'll let you know when it finally snows enough here. Has anyone here had Atmosphere make them any custom pogies? If so how are they working out?
    Don't be a Hater!
    Borealis Yampa XX1

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I had never heard of Pogies until you posted. I have a lot to learn about some cold weather biking & gear. One week till I move though so that should be plenty of time.

mtbr member
    Pogies are essential...especially in the Wyoming wind.

Try some different ones out if you can and make sure there is room to use your brakes and shift.

I have a custom pair made by a friend in Anchorage and can use them gloveless from -10 to +20F. Over 20 I just use gloves.

Laramie, Wyoming
    wyoracerx, I talked with Scott at Atmosphere about making me a pair and he wasn't excited about it.

No problem and no need to try a bunch. Get some Dogwoods and be happy. I would recommend the regular ones as the Plus ones are too warm for most days.

mtbr member
    Alphazz, have you heard about the Fat Bike Winter Summit at Island Park this January?

Great place to figure out some solutions to gain more acceptance in the Larryland area.

Laramie, Wyoming
    I would love to go but I have commitments that weekend.

Fat Biker
    Thanks for talking to Scott Alphazz. I was hoping he would make some custom since all my bars are Blacksheep Mountain Mustache's. Might have to raid the closeout department at STP for something that I can cobble together from some coat arms. or put on another bar for winter riding
    Don't be a Hater!
    Borealis Yampa XX1

Laramie, Wyoming
    I'm not saying he won't make them. One never knows what he is willing to do. I was showing some guys at the bike shop some work he did for me putting in some vents in a cycling jacket and they were shocked I got him to do such a fantastic job.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Brought some snow with me from Arizona not super fun to unload a truck in it but riding the fat bike today was fun. I thought the pogies I got from atmosphere last weekend worked out really well. My hands were the only part of me that wasn't freezing.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Hey, did you ride your fat bike on the greenbelt?

Do you start work right away?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Green belt? Not sure what that is but I went from my place under i80 to the bike path next to the old state prison south to the road then over to downtown. I don't start until Wednesday but one of my dogs is having complications from surgery so I have to take him to the vet daily.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Yep, that bike path is called, the greenbelt. You might have seen my tracks. I rode over the top of yours and came back through and you had come back through. You must be living in west Laramie. I barely missed you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I did notice a second set of tracks on the way home. Yea I'm in west Laramie right next to I 80 bout the only decent house I could find to rent in town. At least ill always know what the price of gas is at the petro station.

Laramie, Wyoming
    It was a cold day for riding yesterday nre. It has been unseasonably warm. You have missed that although it is supposed to warm again. Hopefully we can meet join forces and do some riding in the snow.