Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Southeast Wyoming Fat Bikers Winter Riding

Got my Moonlander for the winter. Seeing if anyone out there in the SE Wyoming or even Northern Colorado area is interested in doing group trial rides on the snow. I know of some locations but always looking to learn more. Still pretty early but thought I would see who might be interested.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I might be interested. My 9zero7 is short a few parts right now, but I should have time to track them down by the time snow starts to fly. I am from Laramie and am interested in getting some Fat Bikers together to pack some trails down.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smccrear View Post
    I might be interested. My 9zero7 is short a few parts right now, but I should have time to track them down by the time snow starts to fly. I am from Laramie and am interested in getting some Fat Bikers together to pack some trails down.
    Great to hear. My Moonlander should be at my LBS tomorrow so I am excited for the winter. Yes, I would like to do some rides on Happy Jack and the Snowies. The Pedal House is gonna try to do a weekly group ride as well, which we could incorporate here. I also know a handful of Fat Bikers in Cheyenne and Laramie who are interested. Keep us posted on the bike!

mtbr member
    Gonna snow this weekend. I am gonna do a maiden voyage on my Moonie and after that hopefully get some people together for some group fat rides. If you know anyone who is insterested, send them to this thread.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Im down, but Im a rebel and will tag along on my skis.

mtbr member
    ^ Blasphemy!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Was up at crow creek trail the other day. They got some new areas marked for snow trails. We just need more snow

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpynerd View Post
    Was up at crow creek trail the other day. They got some new areas marked for snow trails. We just need more snow
    Are these the normal XC ski trails they use every year or are they using new trail to accommodate snow bikes? Must not be the Forest Service doing this since we don't currently have a federal government lol

Fat Biker

Re: Southeast Wyoming Fat Bikers Winter Riding

Bah, you don't need snow to ride a fat bike. See you all on the trails.
    Don't be a Hater!
    SS Black Sheep Phat Speedster
    Borealis Yampa XX1

Rolling on 2 Fat Tires-Blog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    Are these the normal XC ski trails they use every year or are they using new trail to accommodate snow bikes? Must not be the Forest Service doing this since we don't currently have a federal government lol
    I rode Crow Creek the other night but didn't notice any new markers. It was dusk, though, and I wasn't looking for markers. If it were anyone, it probably would have been the ski club*: They're working hard to get more multi-use winter trails approved by the FS.

Errbody should be looking for info in the next couple of months about snowshoe grooming the back-country trails at Happy Jack. I'll post more info when we get more organized. In the meantime, here's a picture of my grooming buddies with me on Headquarters last year.
    Southeast Wyoming Fat Bikers Winter Riding-imag0110.jpg

*No need to go off on a tangent, just relaying what I know.
    "An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” -Ernest Hemingway

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The new arrow markers were near the rock climbing area. I would assume it was the ski club.

mtbr member
    Currently all winter trails are open to all non-motorized traffic correct? If I am correct, Dewey at the Pedal House has a map of trails they prefer fat bikers to stay on/off of. I know there has been some contention already up at Tie City between users.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Yes all are open I would assume to non-motorized. I have only had a few run ins with fatbikers on my skis. Most are nice and yield to skiers, but I had a few instances where they ran me off the trail.

Not sure about the pedal house map.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=stumpynerd;10724306]Yes all are open I would assume to non-motorized. I have only had a few run ins with fatbikers on my skis. Most are nice and yield to skiers, but I had a few instances where they ran me off the trail.

Not sure about the pedal house map.[/QU

I will ask Dewey about it again, and it was ME who ran you off the trail!...not really though.

mtbr member
    Dammit guys, didn't you see my footnote?

Yes, the land up there is open to any non-motorized vehicles. The ski club uses membership money to groom the ski trails. Some of the skiers get a little possessive of the trails because of this, even if - as we know - cyclists aren't ruining the trails. Because of this, they want fatbikers, runners, and snowshoers to stay off the groomers. I think it will just take time and good stewardship to get a better reputation with some of them. I haven't had any run-ins with skiers while on my bike, but I've talked to a few people (aplhazz being one of them) who have.

My modus operandi is if I'm up there and it looks like I'm damaging the trails (spring snow conditions, mostly) I just turn around. In those conditions the riding isn't as fun anyway. Besides, the ungroomed trails (Pole Creek, Aspen, Middle Aspen, HQ, Crow Creek, Haunted Forest) are WAY more fun to ride. I'm also willing to calmly defend my use of the trails to anyone who questions it.

The ski club is working on their new permit and are hoping to get the OK to reroute some of the ski trails and to be able to mark more multi-use trails to connect the trails I mentioned above without using the groomers. Part of it is due to alleged conflicting use (not sure I agree with that) and part is due to more traffic, with which I can sort of agree.

That being said, I'm a member of the ski club and skate ski up there, too, so I know it's frustrating to pay for that service and have someone damage it. The best part about Laramie is all the different outdoor activities on offer. I like to ski, bike, snowshoe, and sled up there in the winter like I like to run, bike, and climb up there in the summer. stumpynerd, it sucks if cyclists "ran [you] off the trail." I hope you gave them an earful.
    "An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” -Ernest Hemingway

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evan, yo! View Post
    Dammit guys, didn't you see my footnote?

Yes, the land up there is open to any non-motorized vehicles. The ski club uses membership money to groom the ski trails. Some of the skiers get a little possessive of the trails because of this, even if - as we know - cyclists aren't ruining the trails. Because of this, they want fatbikers, runners, and snowshoers to stay off the groomers. I think it will just take time and good stewardship to get a better reputation with some of them. I haven't had any run-ins with skiers while on my bike, but I've talked to a few people (aplhazz being one of them) who have.

My modus operandi is if I'm up there and it looks like I'm damaging the trails (spring snow conditions, mostly) I just turn around. In those conditions the riding isn't as fun anyway. Besides, the ungroomed trails (Pole Creek, Aspen, Middle Aspen, HQ, Crow Creek, Haunted Forest) are WAY more fun to ride. I'm also willing to calmly defend my use of the trails to anyone who questions it.

The ski club is working on their new permit and are hoping to get the OK to reroute some of the ski trails and to be able to mark more multi-use trails to connect the trails I mentioned above without using the groomers. Part of it is due to alleged conflicting use (not sure I agree with that) and part is due to more traffic, with which I can sort of agree.

That being said, I'm a member of the ski club and skate ski up there, too, so I know it's frustrating to pay for that service and have someone damage it. The best part about Laramie is all the different outdoor activities on offer. I like to ski, bike, snowshoe, and sled up there in the winter like I like to run, bike, and climb up there in the summer. stumpynerd, it sucks if cyclists "ran [you] off the trail." I hope you gave them an earful.
    I hear ya. I just try to be respectful and not step on any toes. I've been hanging out at Tie City for 10 years and never have had any issue other than perhaps a comment under a breath. I try to avoid the area at peak times and being as I live in Cheyenne, other destinations will be higher on my list this winter.
    I do want to get some fat rides in, so if anyone knows anyone or wants to get in, I guess just send them here. Dewey from the Pedal House was talking about organizing a group ride too.

Laramie, Wyoming
    I have had a few issues up there but it doesn't bother me, I've ridden bikes up there longer than most have skied up there. I tried to ride in the Snowies all year last year but at the end of the season I started going up to Happy Jack. 95% of the people were really nice and very curious. I usually spent a lot of time stopping and chatting with those who wanted to.

I had some who got in my face about riding on the trails. I have a video of one such encounter on my GoPro. Three of us were riding and had already made three complete loops. He told us that we were damaging the trails. I tried to point out that even though we had been around three times already, our tracks weren't even visible. He then told me that I was just "one more thing to hit" out there. My response was, he didn't have to worry about hitting me because I was passing him and he couldn't keep up with me to hit me. He was yelling the entire time and very animated.

I've spent some time talking and riding with Randy (the guy in charge of the grooming) this past summer but we'll have to see how things go this winter.

By the way, it was snowy up there yesterday and I wish I would have had someone riding with me out to Brown's Landing. I mostly rode Headquarters trail out and back but my tracks were nearly gone on my return trip due to new snow and the wind.

mtbr member
    I actually took the Moonie out for it's maiden snow voyage today. I saw some other fat bike tires that were apparently John H.'s. I was able to ride in them for a while. I got about a ten mile ride in. Saw only a few other people. A few skiiers, a few hikers and a few trail runners. All were very friendly.
    Snow was slushy and not the best conditions for fat riding but the Moonlander kept on floating through most of it.
    It looks like temps will be rising again but if anyone ends up going out on the weekends post here.
    I am still dialing in my PSI, clothing, and gear since I am still a newb to this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Southeast Wyoming Fat Bikers Winter Riding-gopr0164.jpg  

mtbr member
    Hey guys,
    Here is a condensed video from yesterday to show how conditions were. I imagine all the snow is melting pretty fast right now but I had a great time. I gotta find some shoes a little more water resistant I think. First Snow Ride With The Moonlander - YouTube

Fat Biker

Targhee Fat bike race

Targhee Fat Bike Race
    December 14th
    Don't be a Hater!
    Borealis Yampa XX1

Laramie, Wyoming
    They will also have a race on January 18. Same course.

3rd Annual Grand Targhee Fat Bike Race

I'm excited to go back but this is what someone had to say about the race last year:

I'm not sure how they got the Start/Finish to be at the same spot because almost the entire course was uphill. I've got the times figured out. 1 minute of downhill, 13 minutes of climbing, 4 minutes of downhill, 17 minutes of climbing, 4 minutes of crazy downhill, 12 minutes of climbing, 3 minutes of crazy downhill to finish line. Do that THREE times.
    This is a picture shortly after the start last year. The three lap course is 25 miles with 3500 feet of elevation gain.

mtbr member
    Can anyone report on the current conditions up at Tie City? Planning to ride a couple hours tommorrow. If anyone is up there feel free to join.

mtbr member

Re: Southeast Wyoming Fat Bikers Winter Riding

Silent Trails is tomorrow morning, so I'd avoid riding between 9 and 10:30 or so. I heard from the organizer that there were seven inches this morning and it melted down to two sloppy inches this evening. If you want to ride snow, make sure you get up there early when it's still firm.

mtbr member
    Was definitely very slushy to be riding at Tie City on Saturday. I made it a short ride after I saw the conditions. I managed to see more cross bikes and regular mountain bikes than anything else, which surprised me.

Fat Biker
    Yeah, I know it's gonna be butt ass cold, but anyone have riding plans for World Fat Bike day Saturday?

Sent from my mobile
    Don't be a Hater!
    Borealis Yampa XX1

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast