mtbr member

SoCal mtbr visiting w/GF non Mtbr vacation in Yelllowstone,Tetons!

My GF and I are planning on a trip to Yellowstone and Tetons on the return. We're not mtbiking or skiing but sightseeing and exploring a bit in a car.

Can anyone give advice for late January?

Thanks in Advance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Come back in June?
    Bring warm clothes?
    You do realize that most of the roads in Yellowstone are closed in winter?

No way I'd plan a driving trip here in January. I love it here, but I wouldn't visit in January if I wasn't skiing.

Don't worry, be happy!
    It's fricking COLD in that part of the world that time of the year. Hot Springs, XC skiing, snowmobiling, snow cat tour, alpine skiing, snowshoeing..... that would be it. Or stay inside by the fire reading/watching movie. Plus snow driving... are you prepared for black ice, whiteouts, sub zero temps and other fun stuff?

I used to live by Cody... winters are about as cold and nasty as you can get in the US. As in, sub zero temps for days.

Snowcat tours in Yellowstone ( you can't drive in there in winter) are supposed to be amazing. They leave from West Yellowstone. I have no idea of the cost.
    Last edited by formica; 11-11-2012 at 10:02 AM.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    my advice. bring chains, use a burly set of winter tires, and have a heavy car with 4wd.

be prepared to drive on lots of ice if we get a good snow year, be prepared for lots and lots of snow. you may be experience, but in case you aren't come prepared.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    If you do come, plan on renting Fat Bikes from Fitzgerald's in Victor! You won't regret it.

Cheesiest
    Definitely bring skis! My favorite times to go there are June and September...Less gawkers!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    not all the roads in yellowstone are closed in the winter. Just the vast majority.
    If you truly want to do a sight seeing road trip. Enter yellowstone thru the north entrance at gardiner and head to cooke city. If you can do that drive at sunup or sundown, you will be rewarded with some awesome bull elk sightings. If you don't care about the massive racks on the bulls, just do that drive any time of the day. That drive will put you thru the lamar valley. Lots of opportunity to see wolfs. Stay in cooke city for a night. You will have to return the same way you came in. Pretty neat town that sits at 7800 feet. I have seen it -27 and i have seen it +40. But mainly it should be cold. Have fun, that is neat part of the country. Oh it will be windy with lots of snow drifts. My wife and i hiked a wind blown ridge in the lamar one year in january. Pretty neat hike, but you better have the gear for it.

If it does get really really cold, like way below 0, be careful winding your window down. you don't want it to freeze down. I will be snowmobiling in the island park area over newyears. the roads can be a crap shoot.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    If they are coming from SoCal, that's a LONG way around....