Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Snare traps behind Camelsback

This is an excerpt from an email a friend sent me. We also heard this morning from the Ridges to Rivers folks that this in fact, happened. No news yet on the condition of the fox. Hopefully- it's not this cutie... I took it's photo this past summer.

I wanted to send this out for anyone who owns a dog,
    or knows other people with dogs, that walks in the
    foothills behind Camel's Back Park. A few days ago my
    friends and I were walking our dogs on the gravel road
    that parallels 8th St. and Chickadee ridge. The dogs
    saw a fox and ran after it. The fox ran down into the
    gully below the ridge and where there is a marsh/pond.
    We were able to call all the dogs back except one. My
    friend hopped the fence and started down to get his
    dog, who was standing a few feet away from the fox. He
    got the dog away, but noticed the fox had its foot
    tangled in some wire and was caught.

To shorten this up, phone calls were made and a woman
    met my friends to help rescue the fox. The fox was
    rescued from a snare trap that cut its foot to the
    bone. It will live, but they are still waiting to see
    whether its foot will need to be amputated from the
    damage.

Local agencies, like BLM, Parks and Rec, and Fish and
    Game have been called. They don't have records of
    traps, or permits for traps, being placed there and
    the trap had no identifying tag. Please be careful
    when you are walking your dog in the foothills and be
    aware. Someone is setting traps and it could easily
    have been the dog and not the fox that got caught.
    Either way is tragic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

dirt enthusiast

crazy!

that's awful! i walk george every morning and luckily i haven't run across anything like this and i hope that i never have to! also as a friendly reminder to everyone that runs/hikes/rides in the foothills with dogs, the coyotes are really out there at full strength. this morning there was a bunch of them talking over between red sands and hulls and then another group howling over between crestline and military reserve. i've also heard of someone seeing a group of 6 back at the bridge where hulls meets up with crestline. we all know that they're out there, just keep in mind that they're a little closer than we think. a dog and coyote battle is not one that anyone wants to go through. enjoy the trails!!

Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    This is an excerpt from an email a friend sent me. We also heard this morning from the Ridges to Rivers folks that this in fact, happened. No news yet on the condition of the fox. Hopefully- it's not this cutie... I took it's photo this past summer.

I wanted to send this out for anyone who owns a dog,
    or knows other people with dogs, that walks in the
    foothills behind Camel's Back Park. A few days ago my
    friends and I were walking our dogs on the gravel road
    that parallels 8th St. and Chickadee ridge. The dogs
    saw a fox and ran after it. The fox ran down into the
    gully below the ridge and where there is a marsh/pond.
    We were able to call all the dogs back except one. My
    friend hopped the fence and started down to get his
    dog, who was standing a few feet away from the fox. He
    got the dog away, but noticed the fox had its foot
    tangled in some wire and was caught.

To shorten this up, phone calls were made and a woman
    met my friends to help rescue the fox. The fox was
    rescued from a snare trap that cut its foot to the
    bone. It will live, but they are still waiting to see
    whether its foot will need to be amputated from the
    damage.

Local agencies, like BLM, Parks and Rec, and Fish and
    Game have been called. They don't have records of
    traps, or permits for traps, being placed there and
    the trap had no identifying tag. Please be careful
    when you are walking your dog in the foothills and be
    aware. Someone is setting traps and it could easily
    have been the dog and not the fox that got caught.
    Either way is tragic.

mtbr member
    They do this stuff legally in the hills above Salt Lake (Bountiful specifically- where I grew up) and I've heard about it outside McCall. I think its crazy- even if it is legal in some areas- imagine the damage they'll do to a kid or a dog. Pretty irresponsible to put the trap so close to a park or trail.

Look out!

Upset Wildlife?

Just the other day my wife was walking south towards the lower Hulls Gulch parking lot. She heard a noise and thought it was our dog catching up to her. She looked over and a fox went trotting by within 2 feet heading in the same direction with no apparent fear of her. Traps in such a heavily used area is absolutely nuts.
    Last edited by mtnbkrid; 01-26-2006 at 02:08 PM.
    Ride the bike.

mtbr member

More wildlife

I forwarded the snare trap alert to a friend and she reported that her running buddy has recently spotted a cougar on Red Sands in the early morning...

dirt enthusiast
    ok. ok. now this is where i'm a little freaked out! i'm on this trail every morning with george! how early morning are we talking?! when did they see the kittie?! are they absolutely positively sure that it was a cat?! not sure what else it could be with that shape and color.....maybe i'll start bringing some cat nip with me!

Hi!!!
    Probably one of us redneck 2C'ers setting those traps!!!!!

Or it could be a 6B'er!

mtbr member

I don't think so...

Probably one of us redneck 2C'ers setting those traps!!!!!
    Y'all would just use guns and claim it "was coming right for us"...

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Aw geez not the "wild predators are stalking me" theme again. I've had an encounter with a badger on Corrals summit that was much worse than any I've have with any of the coyotes, foxes, mountain lions or black bears I've seen in the foothills. It's the downhill dudes, cross country racers, hateful runners, self-righteous hikers and ignorant horseback riders that'll bogart your foothills experience most of all - we know that.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member

Really...

you are more likely to encounter harm driving your car (assuming you drive one) to work in the morning than you are to encounter a cougar out to do you harm.
    Idaho dirt, river, sky

dirt enthusiast
    i agree with that! i just don't want to be looked at as "food"!

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Wild predator....sounds like a date gone wrong...or right...which ever way you look at it.

FYI - there is a cougar in the Foothills. But there have also been cougar sitings on the Greenbelt. I hear your supposed to run AT a cougar and not from it. Running from it kicks in the predation instinct, while running at it kicks in the flight instinct.

There are are also bears too (Upper Dry Creek).

There is a fox den by Castle Rock. From the cat skulls the litter the outside of the den, it really likes "cat" food.

The animals I get sketched out the most by is the sheep herder's Great Pyrenees, and the guy in the pink lycra & hip waders with the velcro gloves.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member

A must read

Beast in the Garden

I have it for anyone that wants to read it. Eventhough it is a non-fiction book, it was very hard to put down (reads just like a Krakauer book). By the end of the book, you'll realize the events in Boulder mirror what is happening in Boise now... Heck, the picture on the cover even looks like Boise!
    Last edited by flipnidaho; 01-26-2006 at 02:23 PM.

dirt enthusiast
    there are all sorts of creatures hanging out in the foothills. like i said, its all a friendly reminder to just pay attention. i'm not sure if i could muster up the gumption to ran at a cat! the sheep herder's great pyrenees is quite the beast, isn't he?! my dog always want to play with him and he's just all business!

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    [QUOTE=Visicypher]snipsnipsnipQUOTE]
    What about the "sensative guys" who like to hug and kiss their puddy tats. Those guys freak me out in a not good way.

Hi!!!
    Beast in the Garden

I have it for anyone that wants to read it. Eventhough it is a non-fiction book, it was very hard to put down (reads just like a Krakauer book). By the end of the book, you'll realize the events in Boulder mirror what is happening in Boise now... Heck, the picture on the cover even looks like Boise!
    Ya' know...I think Twisted was telling me about this book when I went and picked up railroad ties from him this summer???
    Idaho Biking Yahoo! Group
    Support these shops: www.CustomMtnCycles.com & Reed's Cycle

mtbr member

Californication

I doubt Boise would ever have a herd of "pet" deer allowed to roam freely through town like in Boulder.
    Haven't you heard? You're no longer in Idaho, you're now in the OC baybeee!

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    By the end of the book, you'll realize the events in Boulder mirror what is happening in Boise now...
    Except the politics in Boulder are distinctly different than here and I believe the wildlife management practices are different as well. I doubt Boise would ever have a herd of "pet" deer allowed to roam freely through town like in Boulder. The traditional western values here would dictate that if a cougar were to start terrorizing our beloved (sic) foothills we would have to all take up torches and rakes and shovels and shotguns and form a mob that hunts the animal down to its inevitable demise with chants of "Kill the beast"

mtbr member

Mesa meowwww...

Someone sent me these pictures a couple of years ago. Apparently, this was taken off of someone's deck on the Mesa...

Barneys Unite!

Boy, that glass looks awfully thin.

Not sure I would have had the nads to take those pics. What if Kitty didn't like the flash?

mtbr member

Or...

What if kitty does not know about glass? That cat is so "habituated" it's scary! Cougars used to have an instinctive fear of humans and once they lose it-watch out! This cat has obviously lost all fear of people.

SingleTrackSal

Cats the only thing that spoke me

I was fishing up on the South Fork once below Anderson Ranch, had waded down into a fairly wooded area, had the urge so got out on the bank to take a leak. I was standing in the opening of a grove of willows just looking 'round, takin' care of business when I happened to look down and notice the cat prints all over in the snow on the ground. Made the hair stand up on the back of my neck, reminded me of that scene from 'Apocolypse Now'....never get off the boat, never get off the boat!

Hiking in the White Clouds and saw wolf tracks in the snow....no problem, actually thought that was cool.

Cats freak me out, as do those pictures. Flip's right, that thing has lost its fear of people and that is when animals become dangerous...

Hoops - Big and Small

Hear kitty kitty kitty

Someone sent me these pictures a couple of years ago. Apparently, this was taken off of someone's deck on the Mesa...
    Thanks for posting these pics! I opened this one in pchop to take a look in the shadows. Just seeing the eyes is kinda creepy.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Two friends have "met" cougars in the Foothills. They told me that they aren't as far up as people would think. They were the ones that told me that you HAD to run AT the cat. I've actually heard that from a number of people. They also told me there are more than a few bears over by Stack Rock and Eastside.

If it makes you feel any better (or worse), a co-worker saw a cougar crossing the Greenbelt by the Parkcenter Bridge last year or so.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    Just thought I would pass this along. Sounds like channel 7 is looking for someone that has first hand knowledge about the snares in the foothills.

Quotes from Bill Krumm at KTVB
    "Thank you for the info…Is your friend willing to share the story with one of our reporters?…I had heard this was a concern but haven’t had anybody specific that witnessed the event to talk to….we really need that element to tell the best story….

Thanks,
    Bill Krumm
    Assignment Editor
    bkrumm@ktvb.com

"Thank you…we’re still interested….Ysabel Bilbao is the reporter working this story…she has located the animal rehab person who has the fox and is waiting for a call back from her….we would still like to find a witness to the trapping….I appreciate your help….

If so you should conctactYsabel’s at ybilbao@ktvb.com or 989-5148 (Jason, her photographer, will answer that cell phone but she’ll be with him…) Her desk phone is 321-5751
    Bill"

Any local personalities that want some face time or spotlight on them to help shed some light on this?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast