bike junkie
    Dec 2007

Skyline NRT, #13 ( Near Libby )

Has anyone ridden it?
    I keep seeing it on the forest map and it's been calling my name for a couple years now, and maybe this weekend is the time to go check it out. I found this page about it...

http://tutsan.forest.net/trails/FMPr...d=33438&-find=

I called the forest office and they confirmed that it has been cleared out this year.

Any additional info like total elevation gain, preferred direction, water stops, side trips, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Spend time behind bars

mtbr member
    Try it and let us know.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    It has epic written all over it. What an outstanding resource for the riders in Libby.
    I don't know what trail we're on, but at least it's getting dark

Don't worry, be happy!
    I was looking at that a few weeks ago on the map. The other nugget in that area is Trail #44, on the ID/MT border east of the Moyie River and just S of the Canadian border. That one I know for a fact is clear and ready to go. I WAS going to check it out this weekend but we were just given 5th row tickets for Dave Matthews at the Gorge...oh well.

mtbr member
    If you are looking for some epic riding come over to Kalispell and Ill show you some trails.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I found the whole thing on Google Earth. Traced it on my Kootenai map. Looks pretty big, maybe a huge ride. Take a friend and a couple lunches. Post a report and pictures back here. There seems to be zilch on the web about this trail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I grew up in Libby, long story short, I thought that trail would ride well, but it sucked. The tread is very poor in most places as it does not see much use at all. Rode it once and never again. Maybe it would be better on a modern bike, I rode it in the early 90's on a hardtail. Cool country, though.

mtbr member
    Are there any good trails around Libby that can be shuttled or any long DH runs/loops with short ups?

bike junkie
    Dec 2007

Good job!

This trail has two numbers, the Northern part is trail 706, and the Southern part, south of O'Brien Mtn. is trail 13.

I got out there and rode part of the trail last Sunday...It was a wet, cold, rainy, crappy day and I got a late start because I waited out a rainstorm in the morning.

In a nutshell, the part I rode is pretty cool and I will certainly be heading out there on a nicer day with a crack of dawn start, to try and ride the whole thing.... it will be a big ride for sure.

I started at the Northern trailhead on East side Yaak road, there is a brown sign there that says "trail 706, skyline ridge" ( around 2500' el.), I immediately started seeing this years trail clearing efforts, lot's of recently cut windfall.....nice. The first few miles are bench cut trail about 12-18" wide, climbing up towards Saddle mtn. It's nice dirt ( surprisingly not muddy, even after the rains) with just enough roots and rocks to keep your attention, and some switchbacks and climbing turns. All pretty rideable but a couple of the switchbacks were too steep for me to ride. After a couple miles the tread gets a bit off camber and narrower, and the sides are grown in a bit. Once up on the ridge (5000' or so) it becomes classic MT micro track, with a trailtread less than 12" and grown in from the sides with beargrass, the kind of stuff where you just follow the snakey line through the beargrass and can't really see the trailtread at all. I love that kind of trail. Somewhere out by Conn mtn. I got into a burn area and any sign of trail clearing stopped, for the next mile and a half or so I jumped about 60-70 downed trees ( barkless grey snags). I got past the burn and out by Arbo mtn. started seeing signs of trail clearing again, but there were also downed trees. It's pretty exposed- to- the- wind ridgeline stuff, so not surprised if a lot of trees came down this year, after the trail crew got done. ( Do they purposely avoid the burn areas ? ) I had killed a lot of time waiting out a couple more rainstorms on the trail, but eventually got out to about Feeder mtn. ( 6000' or so ), it was getting late so ate some more food and turned around and headed back. This was probably about the 9-10 mile mark. Once up the initial climb, the ridge out to Feeder was rolling, no major ups or downs.

The pics are in succession, the first one is in the first 1/2 mile and the last one is the log jam near Feeder mtn where I turned around. Every pic has the trail in it, in some you have to look hard for it, so that gives you an idea of the size and nature of the tread.

This trail is begging to be ridden by those who enjoy that type of snakey, beargrass microtrack.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by willygoat; 09-11-2009 at 11:56 PM.
    Spend time behind bars

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Beautiful singletrack. There must have been some good views from the ridge.

Thanks for the report so far. Yes, it needs to be ridden. By mtn. bikers packing chain saws. What potential!

mtbr member
    thanks for the beta willy......i'll have to put this on the list for sure. My only adventures in the Yak have been on a road bike. So many trails ......so little time.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Maybe something to do while the guys are boating the Yaak.... ;-)

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

yaak nrt #9 vinal creek?

anybody know anything about the other nrt in the area-#9 vinal creek/purcell summit- on the east side of Yaak?

http://tutsan.forest.net/trails/FMPr...d=33444&-find=

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    FYI, It's really DIY on trail maintenance on the Kootenai. The FS can't keep up with the down fall and cover all the trails (eeww, I can't believe I just defended the Forest Service!). Many trails are on a 3 year clearing cycle.

mtbr member
    We clear trails all the time here in Kalispell. We took off almost 100 trees over the last 2 years.
    Last edited by kntr; 09-12-2009 at 08:19 AM.

bike junkie
    Dec 2007
    Greg- On any decent day there would be great views, that day, not so much. There were moments when the clouds blew past and the sky cleared, but for the most part visiblity was nil.

nwmtb-- My pleasure...btw, are you any relation to a shop that used to be in the Olympia WA area in the 1980's called NW Mtn. Bike? Awesome little shop, a dude named Eric Eaton owned it.

threepin--Looks super promising, several trails all marked NRT on my map tie into #9, including 17,91, and 62. There's a lot of miles of singletrack, a waterfall and summits over 7000'...Yeah! It's hard to tell with 200 ft. contour lines, but nothing looks heinously steep.

qgidley-- It's the same in N. ID..... if it weren't for us, hikers, and backcountry horsemen, we would have very little to ride.

FYI-- the "Three Rivers Ranger District" map by the Forest Service has contour lines, my bigger KNF map does not.
    Spend time behind bars