Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Singletrack tips

Lua says:

1. Keep your eyes up and look down the trail to where you want to go.
    2. Push your weight down into the berm.
    3. Accelerate out of the corner
    4. STAY ON THE TRAIL
    5. Roost Jake

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Donde estas? Looks nuevo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    Donde estas? Looks nuevo.
    Very new and very nearly finished (a few days away). Location- virtually your backyard. Expect an announcement when it's complete although there will still be some shaping and finishing work that will need to be completed by volunteers. R2R and David Gordon needs to take credit for this trail. It's progressive compared to the established trails..

mtbr member
    Great photo Gary! Thats one happy looking dog.
    Everytime that wheel turn round
    bound to cover just a little more ground!

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    Very new and very nearly finished (a few days away). Location- virtually your backyard. Expect an announcement when it's complete although there will still be some shaping and finishing work that will need to be completed by volunteers. R2R and David Gordon needs to take credit for this trail. It's progressive compared to the established trails..
    Watchman?

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Watchman?
    Watchman! hahahahahaahahahaahahah. Ain't no berms on Watchman. You need to get off the sofa more, Shirley.

mtbr member
    Watchman?
    EP, I was being literal when I meant, "your backyard". I heard it was going to be completed this week but there will be some finishing work for the jumps and berms so the location probably won't be publicized until it's officially opened. It's going to be short but very sweet piece of trail with a little bit for everyone.
    Speaking of Watchman, that trail is supposed to be finished this week as well....

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Speaking of Watchman, that trail is supposed to be finished this week as well....
    It's all ridable now. You just need to push up the last segment to the Trail 6 connector. The Kubota was pushing dirt on the alternate yesterday. It's worth riding mostly because it's new and clings to the hillside in a Klingon kind of way.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    EP, I was being literal when I meant, "your backyard".
    Aha. I get it now. I'm a little mentally slow.

Must be from all the ecstacy.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    D.Gordon should get credit. Aenema and I-Feel-Waygaa (aka elphilmino) should also get props.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    is it possible to get better directions to watchman, so that I can find it in the dark. Tried last night and failed.

If you are going up 5 mile is it prior to the creek crossing where the concrete watchman hut is, or after that creek crossing? Should it be easy to see where this trail connects to 5 mile with a decent head lamp?

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by orfa
    is it possible to get better directions to watchman, so that I can find it in the dark. Tried last night and failed.

If you are going up 5 mile is it prior to the creek crossing where the concrete watchman hut is, or after that creek crossing? Should it be easy to see where this trail connects to 5 mile with a decent head lamp?
    After the creek crossing with the hut and after the next creek crossing. When you get to the signpost that goes to the junction with Orchard Gulch and 7 or 2 go left (it's not marked yet but there is a trail). Grind another half mile or so, look for a new trail peeling up and left. Yo.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Definitely David Gordon

It was his idea, his initiative, his vision, etc. Only help he got was turning his vision into a rideable reality. He mostly had it but wanted help with the flow side of things. I can't wait to ride laps on this trail, I think it will open a lot of eyes and start a trend toward some serious goodness. I am excited.

Love the pic Gary, Lua needs to teach some clinics.

blet drive
    that trail looks sweet
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Is it a trail or a trail segment? It has to be at least a mile long to be a trail.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Thanks

Hey Dave Gordon and R2 crew,

THANKS for the flow! Building trails over the last couple of seasons I have really come to appreciate Dave's layout of corners and setting a grade that you can climb all day. Someone on the R2 crew does amazing rock work. Now it looks like we even have some corners to rail.

Aenema and I-Feel-Waygaa, thanks for being the guinea pigs and input.

Itís amazing what can happen when patience, acceptance and appreciation collide.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Yes,

I'd like to offer my personal thanks to D.G. It has been honor to work with. He puts up with a lot sh!t, and still keeps on going. I know I couldn't put up with the grief he has gotten. Hell, I could barely keep up with the grief I get. David, I know you'll read this. Know that you do good work. I have had a magazine editor say we are spoiled, and you, sir, should smiled whole heartedly about that. I will miss working with you.

Al
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    DG and crew are at the center of why Boise has such a good trail system. It seems that every year at the end of the season there are new goodies out there finish the season on and look forward to riding next season. I'm already doing laps on Watchman before it gets snowed in. And I'm already looking forward to what on the plate for next year

mtbr member
    The trail is officially open although the signage that has been ordered may take a while. The trail is an extension of the Rock Island trail and can be accessed at the top and at the end of Rock Island. The trail definitely flows better from East to West. If you do ride it, please make sure that you don't blow out the berms. Also, you will see volunteers working on shaping some of the berms/jumps on the West side so watch your speed...
    Here is SJ on one of the rocks on the trail.

26er
    Great trail and kudos to R2R. It is always nice to see more trails being added in Boise. I think David certainly does get a lot of feedback and it is nice to see this feedback turned into dirt. Maybe we are just picky here in town, but we seem to expect a lot from our land managers even though we have so much.

I look forward to more projects like this.... really adds nice variety. Plus I am planning on moving over towards tablerock in the next couple of years so this will be nice to have in the backyard.

Chris
    Live to ride!

Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

I believe the signage will state this

But until it is in place, be aware that this trail is a 'downhill has priority' trail. How cool is that? But if you go and ride it, please be aware that the fact that there are jumps in it means that stopping or slowing may be next to impossible and that Downhill traffic will need you to be out of their way. Enjoy!

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by aenema
    But until it is in place, be aware that this trail is a 'downhill has priority' trail. How cool is that? But if you go and ride it, please be aware that the fact that there are jumps in it means that stopping or slowing may be next to impossible and that Downhill traffic will need you to be out of their way. Enjoy!
    Is there going to be "Downhill has priority" signage? There should be - for the sake of all users. You can make rules on the Web but they don't mean squat on the dirt.

I'm just sayin...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

according to discussions we had, yes

The talk we had is that whenever you have a trail with jumps, uphill traffic is very dangerous. The idea of this trail is to make it fun both ways so the compromise is to have it be a downhill has priority trail. My understanding is that the signage will say exactly this.

the new Gilbert Grape
    I rode Watchman today. It rideable all the way through, but still needs a lot of finishing work (if they plan on having water drain off the trail). It's really cool that it's built; I'm happy. However, riding past all of the rock that was exposed next to the trail, I only wish that they'd left some of them in. There could have been several sections that were semi-technical (like Bob's or Hulls) but it was made perfectly smooth. I'd still rather have a new smooth trail, than no trail at all.

The new loop make a really nice longer ride from town.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast