mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Singletrack near Red Lodge?

Searching for beta on trails in the Red Lodge area. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    I've ridden the Silver Creek trails and Ingles which are nearby. Fun, but hardly destination type stuff. However, this is a big ride that has been on my wish list if you can arrange a shuttle. Beartooth Plateau down to Rock Creek Resort which is south of Red Lodge. Line Creek Plateau: Powell MTB and Reviews
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks for the beta rockman! I'm headed to Line Creek tomorrow with. Please let me know if you'd like to join!

mtbr member
    I'd love to but I'm at least 500 miles away in Ogden UT and heading back to Arizona. Have fun and report back.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

mtbr member
    The last time I rode Line Creek Plateau (more than 10 years ago), we met up with a pair of riders. They had ridden up Corral Creek. They made it sound like it was a good trail.

Corral Creek is less than 3 miles south of Rock Creek Resort, so might make a good loop. Hopefully a shop in Red Lodge, or maybe a Pass bike shuttle co. has some beta on this.

Also, if you don't mind climbing...there is a good trail up on to Silver Run Plateau from MT 212/Rock Creek. Once up there, skirt the wilderness and drop into Ingles or Silver Run Creek.

rth009
    May 2010
    Did you make it, bumpeater? Line Creek Plateau is usually unrideable due to snow and mud until late july or even august, although I haven't been up Beartooth Pass yet this year to check on it. It is a fantastic backcountry ride, however. Beartooth Recreation Loop (also up on top of the Pass) is also wild and excellent, but make sure and bring bear spray.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    The trip was a shuttle, which was the first shuttle trip I've ever been on. I like climbing, but when in rome... So my impression was that the ride was okay. Glad I did it. Pretty country, but not exactly up to the hype imo. THanks for the recommendations on the rec loop. I rode Line Cr. the next day. Up and back, which was very fun. Steep, rocky, and fun. Wish it was longer. Finished with exploring Silver Run. Fun as well! I want to find the trail from Rock Creek that takes me to Line Cr. That sounds like a good one. Any other recommendations for the Billing-Red Lodge area would be greatly appreciated. I've been out to indian cliffs, and zimmerman. Fun, but looking for more climbs! Thanks guys and girls. THis is such a great resource.

rth009
    May 2010
    Im confused? You rode Line Creek as a shuttle one day and then rode up to Line Creek and back the next day? When you rode up Line Creek did you start by the tennis courts at Rock Creek Resort? If not, you probably rode up Corral Creek. It is a few miles south of Rock Creek Resort on the East Side Road. What were the conditions like on Line Creek, snow and mud in spots or clear?

When I rode Line Creek last, I started in Red Lodge, rode up the highway all the way to the top, across the line creek plateau, and down the Mount Maurice trail to behind the Rock Creek Resort by the tennis courts and then back into RL on the highway. Big, awesome day. Over 46 miles if I remember. I wish I had a gps to track overall elevation gain.

The riding on the plateau is not exactly ripping singletrack, or even singletrack for that matter, but I think its just rad to be riding a bike on an alpine plateau. But, the 3000'+ descent down the Maurice Creek trail was way rad, I thought.

Another good Red Lodge Ride is to combine Ingles Creek (and even Basin Lakes Trail, which is steep and rocky) in with the Silver Run trails.

There's not a lot of riding in Red Lodge because of the massive amounts of Wilderness, but they are working on it.

If you want a big climb, head up and ride the Ice Cave loop from the lake in the Big Snowies. Or head over to Bozangeles.

You would

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm sorry I meant Ingles. I rode up Ingles and then turned around at the junction with Silver Run. Ingles was fun. You're right about riding across a plateau. I came here from Big Sky, so I'm familiar with Bozeman, but I am certainly interested in the Ice Cave loop. Is that near Lewistown? I think I've heard of it, but long ago. Any more beta would be much appreciated. I had the Montana book of trails, but have no idea what happened to it. I'm trying to pay attention to a lecture while dreaming of riding bikes. Thanks for the tips

rth009
    May 2010
    There is also the Face of the Mountain trail off Meeteetse Trail Road SE of Red Lodge. I have not ridden it, but its a new trail and another way to get up the the Line Creek Plateau, but from the N or NE side rather than the W/NW approach from Maurice Mtn and Corral Creek trails:

From Highway 212 on the south edge of Red Lodge,
    turn left onto Meeteetse Trail Road; drive 3.3 miles
    on this dirt, (seldom maintained) county road to
    the signed trailhead on your right. The trail crosses
    private, open sage land for 1 mi., then BLM land
    to lazy switchbacks of the old Black & White Road
    (the original road to Beartooth Pass). Atop the ridge,
    (after a 1700 gain) with great views of Red Lodge to
    the north, you are overlooking North Fork Grove Cr.
    Canyon. Hike another 1 mi. down & up through
    lodge pole pine forest and you are on another ridge
    overlooking South Fork Grove Cr. Canyon. Both
    these canyons have wonderful views of limestone
    spires. The trail continues south to the Wyoming
    border (Robertson Draw and Line Cabin); eight total
    miles possible.

And then there is the Willow Creek Trail:

Willow Cr. (a.k.a. Palisades Campground) Trail
    From Highway 212, turn right/west near the south
    end of Red Lodge on West Fork Road toward Red
    Lodge Mountain Resort; go one mile on pavement,
    turn right onto Palisades Campground Road, then
    another 1 miles on gravel to the Campground. The
    trailhead is at the far west end of the campground.
    This is a pleasant, forested, streamside, steady uphill
    trail about two miles and 800 elevation to the Red
    Lodge Mtn. parking lot. Nice mountain biking.

I heard at one time that you could continue from the end of Willow Creek and connect into some singletrack on Red Lodge Mountain, but that was a few years ago and I dont know what condition the trail is in or how to find it. The IMBA trail crew is supposed to be in Red Lodge this month instructing volunteers and working on trails, and I thought I read something about them working on RLM???

The Ice Cave trail in the Big Snowies is sort of close to Lewistown, but from Billings the best way is to go to Harlowtown, through Judith Gap and then wrap around the NW side of the Big Snowies to the Crystal Lake area. Once you get on the crest of the Big Snowies you can continue East on the crest past the left turn trail that takes you back down to Crystal Lake. Ive only been a mile or 2 east beyond the trail back down to Crystal Lake. The trail was faint in spots and not necessarily great riding, but its a good adventure with great views. I think you can follow this trail all the way east to the end of the Big Snowies. Alternatively, you could climb this trail from the East End of the Big Snowies up on to the Crest, not sure what its called, though. I hiked it years ago and cannot remember what it would be like climbing up it on a bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Awesome, hopefully I can get out this weekend and check something out. Thank you so much rth009!