mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Shuttle/lift necessary for good riding in Sun Valley?

Im doing a trip out west this summer and Sun Valley is one of our possible destinations for the month we will be out there riding. We like all mountain riding and single track. Ive been told though that the climbing is so crazy to get to the trails, lifts or shuttles are necessary? Is that true? We'd rather not have to take lifts or shuttles because we like some good climbs too, but if its insane to get to the top we'd rather not get caught doing that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I've taken a few trips to Sun Valley - never used a shuttle or a lift
    thetraildirt.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    The best riding in SV is away from the lifts. There is some possible shuttling( Fischer comes to mind), but they rideable for most riders. A car is nessicary for the shear distance between town and trail heads. The farther north you go the more climbing, but still doable. Enjoy the ride, the whole thing.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

jalepenio jimenez
    contrary to some peoples thoughts on this, there is some good riding 45 minutes to an hour north of sun valley where shuttles are pretty accommodating.
    I dig, chop, strangle, yank, stomp, annihilate, mutilate, eradicate, and FU goatheads

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    We would rather stay away from having to pay for lifts and shuttles all together on our trip. Do you have to pay at all to use the trails even if your not using shuttles? For example when we rode at kingdom trails in vermont last summer we had to pay for a week pass for access to the trails.

jalepenio jimenez
    lifts are going to cost you, but like most have said, you don't need to ride the lifts. there are hundreds of miles of single track with no lifts or shuttles. shuttles are more for doing the long one-way rides. definetly bring a good set of pipes: most rides are between 6000 and 9000 feet.
    I dig, chop, strangle, yank, stomp, annihilate, mutilate, eradicate, and FU goatheads

26er
    Trails are free in sun valley if you access them under your own power.
    Live to ride!

Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

mtbr member
    Just north of town is East fork of Baker Creek - Maybe 7 - 10 mile on Hwy 75. Park at the Rest stop pit toilet on the right then ride the 2 miles or so up the dirt road to the East Fork of Baker Creek on the left. This 8 mile climb will take you to:
    -Easly Hot Springs Single track down.
    -Up a few more miles to Oregon Gulch - Great Down Hill Single Track and Back to town Via Chocolate Gulch and Fox Creek trails. At least 20 miles...
    -A bit more up the same road to Fox Peak/Adams Gulch Trail for fantastic ride on single track back to town - more like 30 miles.

Have Fun!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I am thinking of heading down this way. I have done ant basin in the past solo with a 4 wheeler shuttle. I don't know if I want to drag my 4 wheeler down there to shuttle 4th of july road. Are there other big rides that are just as good and don't need a shuttle?
    or just throw the atv in the truck and do ants solo again?

thanks
    tim

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Tim, I just got back from Stanley area. Lots of down trees. Rode Elk Mtn Loop, only a very few down trees.

Rode Fischer Creek Loop, 32 down trees but could get over or under them. Lots of riders though.

Rode couple miles up towards Marten Lake on Trap Creek trail and quit riding after the 22 nd down tree and hiked up to snow line and counted 52 down trees in about 3 miles.

Rode three miles up Fivemile Creek Trail (Yankee Fork) towards Custer Lookout and finally quit riding and went hiking because of all the down trees.

Havent been on Ants Basin trail but may be a lot of down trees if it goes through any lodgepole patches. Good Luck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    thanks for the info, lots of blowdown here also.

mtbr member
    Call the Stanley FS Ranger station to see when they plan to cut out the blow down.

Trails in SV are maintained locally so blow down gets cut out right away. Try:
    Deer Creek for great loops.

Loops from K-Town:Go down the bike path-
    Greenhorn to LodgePole to Red Warrior and back to town is 30 miles.

Trail Creek Cabin to Corral Creek to Pioneer Cabin to Johnstone back to town by Dirt Road and bike path or climb up Bear and then down Parker to Elkhorn. Big ride with great views at the top.
    Last edited by Howley; 06-10-2013 at 07:03 PM.

jalepenio jimenez
    those stanley rangers must have sticks up their whatnots.

sidehiller, what were you planning to do up five mile?

I think I remember five mile being part of the course for the X-adventure race in 2003.

I've ridden out ramey creek where there is/was a store and cold beer at the end of the trail. motorheads used to maintain ramey creek.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    In perusing the topo maps I was interested in doing a shuttle ride some time up Fivemile and down Ramey creeks. We didn't have a shuttle or time to do the whole loop on bicycles so just decided to ride up Fivemile Creek as far as we could get, snow and down trees permitting, then go back down the trail. We got just about up to the big meadow, cutting the smaller downfall on the way up with my dull handsaw. We ran into some bigger downfall and difficult to get the mtn bikes around so ditched them and hiked up to the lookout. We went up to the Fivemile-Ramey Creek pass then hiked up the North ridge to Custer Lookout at 9,753 elev.. Great views from the lookout in all directions on a clear day. We hiked out via the Northeast ridge to the trail then back down to the bikes and rode back down to the Fivemile Creek trailhead. There is still quite a bit of snow on the north face of the mtn the lookout sits on.

That must have been quite an adventure ride back in 2003.

jalepenio jimenez
    never been to the Custer lookout myself, but your hike over the top sounds like a good addition to the ride in.

if you're ever in the area again, Muley creek off the Salmon is a decent atv/jeep trail to 8900 where you can then traverse the head of Peach creek to Gardner or Burnt creek and back out to the river at Torreys. did this w/ a shuttle.

Lower Harden creek is another good access off of the river. can't remember that ride too well, but think we ended up coming out Coal creek into Basin creek and back to the car. rode this as a loop w/ a couple highway miles to start the ride.

keep on exploring. we all enjoy your exploits and write-ups, and your pictures.