Thread: Shonkin

BMX:Our Shining Future

Shonkin

Northeast of the Highwood range. There are some very strange and desolate places. It's all dirt roads 'n double track. Crawlin' with rattlesnakes. Nobody in sight but the occaisional farm truck.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Trails look like Boise. I suppose a lot of high desert looks the same.

I used to get high before I'd eat dessert. As I was once reminded, you have to get tweaky before dinner.

Regarding that bike, is your wheel meat slick, or are you just happy to see us?

I'm just happy to see us

Lost Lake, first cuz to Lost Trail in my imagination. If you can find this I will ride my CRF450R to a Vegas Drive-Thru marriage parlor and wed her by the authority of an Elvis Impersonator. Wait a minute. Been there done that already.

ANYHOO

Lost Lake is a prehistoric waterfall punched into the High Desert by the Missouri river and was several times larger than Niagra. Just outside of Shonkin. More dirt roads 'n double track. Ancient Peoples obviously carved the rocks there into mystical sculptures. Guarded by pits of slithering venomous vipers.

BEWARE!

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    Lost Lake, first cuz to Lost Trail in my imagination. If you can find this I will ride my CRF450R to a Vegas Drive-Thru marriage parlor and wed her by the authority of an Elvis Impersonator. Wait a minute. Been there done that already.

ANYHOO

Lost Lake is a prehistoric waterfall punched into the High Desert by the Missouri river and was several times larger than Niagra. Just outside of Shonkin. More dirt roads 'n double track. Ancient Peoples obviously carved the rocks there into mystical sculptures. Guarded by pits of slithering venomous vipers.

BEWARE!
    Bullsh!t.

The Shonkin Sag differentiated in place from single alkalic magmas to produce syenite and shonkinite through a gravity-controlled differentiation mechanism. The absence of rhythmic and cryptic layering and a lack of definite cumulate textures suggest that crystal settling did not produce syenite from shonkinite. Field relations strongly suggest coexistence of a mafic and a felsic magma. Both field relations and chemical trends, which are incompatible with a fractional crystallization model, can, on the other hand, be explained by magma immiscibility. During or following intrusion, immiscible syenite globules separated from a mafic shonkinite magma, coalesced, and rose to form a homogeneous upper layer of syenite. An increase in host viscosity, due to cooling, trapped late-rising syenite globules. These are preserved as isolated syenite segregations as much as 10 m in diameter enclosed in the lower shonkinite.

Not only that, but during the Bull Lake Ice Age between 70,000 and 130,000 years ago, the continental ice sheet spreading south from Canada blocked the Missouri River, backing up its water to form Glacial Lake Great Falls. The glacial meltwater poured eastward through the Highwoods to erode Shonkin Sag, the large valley extending west, north of Square Butte. Shonkin Sag is one of the most famous abandoned meltwater channels in the world.

You can float that little nugget at your next cocktail party.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    Bullsh!t.

You can float that little nugget at your next cocktail party.
    You got sh!t, nugget and cocktail all in the same post.

My love for you has no bounds.

In a manly "wow, you've got a cool 29'er fixie, can I touch it" sort of way.

I don't HAVE cocktail parties

I have horsey back riding parties. If Lost Lake, as the State Of Montana likes to refer to it in their geographic lexicon, or Shonkin Sag, for you rock heads out there, is an innie then Square Butte is definitely an outie. They is both heavy on the "shonkinite", some sort of compressed black lava I'm sure Dirk can enlighten us further as to the EXACT composition and history.

Yesss, the yang to Lost Lake's yin, Square Butte juts out of the High Dessert a massive erect pillar just a few short miles away. It features amongst other things such as enormous curtain walls of towering rock, a large population of mountain goats and the highest concentration of rattlesnakes per square mile in the entire state of Montana. Thanks to idiots who killed every rattling snake they could find over the decades Square Butte now features an extra expecially dangerous hybrid of viper who does NOT rattle before striking but instead simply sinks it's fangs into your tender flesh without hesitation. I one time witnessed a golden eagle on the north side of the butte swoop down upon a whitetail fawn, grab it by the spine with it's talons, ascended some forty feet in the air and then drop the fawn on a large boulder to kill it.

I must recommend the dirt roads around Shonkin to those of you who love riding long scenic dirt roads with rattlesnakes coiled upon them in the midday sun.

In spite of being public land, BLM, you can't visit Square Butte thanks to Leroy Strand and all the neighbor/relatives he has under his thumb. Access to the Butte has been closed for years now thus depriving you me and every Native American who might wish to visit the burial site of their ancient ancestors. I'd curse you Leroy but you've already done a fine job of that yourself.
    Last edited by davidarnott; 08-27-2009 at 09:39 AM.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Maybe you could feed Leroy to the eagle and vipers.

I'm just sayin.

PS, can you call Lost Lake the "Gulf of Shonkin"?

Because that would be hella cool.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Get Shonky wit it!

Yo.

Serious.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member

spell; what's the word's origin? what's the definition.alternative pronunciations?

Gulfo De La Shonkinite

Big secret here Gulfo De La Shonkite a.k.a. "The Missouri River Dry Falls" is actually a UFO crash site and only snorklers with the stomach to gurgle down into the bay's fetid stinking swampy waters will ever peer through it's crystal lattice diamond windshield. It has proven a fine landfill however and if historic rates of dumpage are maintained, Lost Lake won't be full until the year 3841.

Contagious Xian
    That "little birdie showing his vertical leap" shot was sweet nectar.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombin4X
    That "little birdie showing his vertical leap" shot was sweet nectar.
    I love the birdie too! Is he doing what will now be know as "The Shonkin"?

mtbr member
    Bird is the Word! foShonkin!
    You gotta Get Up to Get Down!