Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Save Crystal Lake

716 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  montanabiker 
#1 ·
Crystal Lake is a beautiful campround located in the Big snowy mountains of central Montana that has epic singletrack trails. This is a non-motorized area that receives very little horse use so the trails stay in excellent shape. There is currently a proposal to build a horsecamp at the lower end of the lake. This will cause horse use to increase and the trails and shoreline to become eroded and filled with horse manure. Sure they might try and create rules keeping horses off the shores but they won't be followed. With increased horse use there comes conflict with other trail users. Dogs and mountain bikes will end up getting banned from this area because of the possibility of them spooking the horses. Please help us stop this from happening. Please write the (Lewis and Clark National Forest 1101 15th Street N. Great Falls, MT 59401) and tell them please no horse camp.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
me and some of my buddies were planning an epic trip to crystal lake in late july!!! that would blow if they took aeay the ability to bike there. btw: its nice to see some other people from montana on this site. i though i was one of the only ones. what do you ride? im an xc/all mountain guy. i just got back from a trip to holland lake with my buddies. the trail up to the waterfall was sweet.

#3 ·
holy ****! i zoomed in on your picture of crystal lake..and look at this!

it's jason voorhees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

just kiddin'.

i do not want to derail your serious thread. horses and atvs just can't get along with the rest of us it seems. i ride with my dogs all the time. and there have been issues with horses. usually because the rider freaks out, which freaks out the horse, which freaks out my dogs....etc... seems like these horse people get awfully generous treatment with land managers...

#4 ·
Crystal Lake is nice but the switchbacks to the top and the trails on the spine are money. Ride from Crystal Lake to Half Moon Pass for top dollar. It's 35 or 40 miles. The ice caves are worth visiting too.

As for the horse-MTB debate, unfortunately the MT horse crowd outnumbers the MTB crowd (ever been to a ranch supply shop there) and the new Montunans (i.e., transplants) come with deep pockets.

#5 ·
XCKing820

I've been riding my singlespeed 29er mostly and am lovin it. The big wheels are great. I've rode up near Holland lake before. I thought the trail to the falls was closed to bikes? That was years ago though. Have you ridden the loop around clearwater lake? I also remember riding to a waterfall that passed two small lakes right near the town of seely lake. Real nice area.

TwistedCrank

Yeah riding up on the big snowies ridge is amazing. You can see for miles. I've never rode the entire length from crystal lake to halfmoon pass, you? I go up halfmoon and cottonwood creek, both nice trails, that connect with the ridge trail often,they are in much better shape now than years ago. Yeah the Horse crowd has a lot of power but I honestly think there are more mtbrs and definetly more hikers. We just need to unite so we have a voice thousands strong. Please go here

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=310697

For more pictures of crystal lake go here

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=310705

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.