Thread: Road Trippin

Muy Borracho

Road Trippin

I'm driving over from Central Oregon to the Mccall area this weekend to meet up with some friends. looking for three solid rides. Loon Lake was one we already decided on. I was hoping some of you Idahoe's could let me know how the conditions are and what you would recomend we ride. We are all pretty much cross country riders looking for some singletrack and scenery.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

mtbr member
    Conditions are great right now- no fires, a little rain last night, not too hot, but warm enough to go for a swim in the lake. I'd nominate Eagle's Nest and 20 Mile to the top tier list with Loon Lake. 2nd tier Goose Creek Falls and Bear Pete. 3rd tier East Fork of Lake Fork, and Bear Basin.

FYI- Chinook CG is closed and you should check with the Payette NF to see if they'll let you ride in through it or if you have to go to Loon Lake by the Ruby Meadows way.

mtbr member
    These guys post awsome weekly rides... CIMBA

and loon lake info:
    >This was in the McCall paper this week about Loon Lake. I thought you might want to share it with other bikers. Chinook Campground to close for renovation. The McCall Ranger District will close Chinook Campground and Forest >Road 378 from Monday through Aug 24 to reconstruct the entire campground. No foot traffic or car traffic will be allowed during the project.
    >
    >Alternative routes: Ruby Meadows, Victor Creek Trail, Seceash River Trail from Ponderosa campground, or call
    >
    >Gary Elliot at 634-0415

mtbr member
    Oh yeah- look up Central Idaho Mountain Bike Association on Facebook and become a fan too.

Muy Borracho
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayndar
    I'd nominate Eagle's Nest and 20 Mile to the top tier list with Loon Lake. 2nd tier Goose Creek Falls and Bear Pete. 3rd tier East Fork of Lake Fork, and Bear Basin.

FYI- Chinook CG is closed and you should check with the Payette NF to see if they'll let you ride in through it or if you have to go to Loon Lake by the Ruby Meadows way.

Thanks for the tip. I did read that about the Chinook CG being closed. I'll check it with the Forest Service.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Apparently the renovation of Chinnok campground has also included a calamitous smoothing of most of the rock sections going down the Secesh. The section under the cliff is now dirt instead of boulder. UNHOLY!
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Muy Borracho
    Quote Originally Posted by Howley
    These guys post awsome weekly rides... CIMBA

and loon lake info:
    >This was in the McCall paper this week about Loon Lake. I thought you might want to share it with other bikers. Chinook Campground to close for renovation. The McCall Ranger District will close Chinook Campground and Forest >Road 378 from Monday through Aug 24 to reconstruct the entire campground. No foot traffic or car traffic will be allowed during the project.
    >
    >Alternative routes: Ruby Meadows, Victor Creek Trail, Seceash River Trail from Ponderosa campground, or call
    >
    >Gary Elliot at 634-0415

Thanks for this info as well. Which of the alternative routes would you reccomend?

mtbr member
    The best alternate route is from Ruby Meadows. Depending on how long you want to ride you can do it as an out-and-back or a lollipop. I posted a map a few weeks ago that should still be searchable.

mtbr member
    We rode Loon Lake a couple of weeks ago and you are correct. After the fire, there was a good deal of erosion that they had to fix. It appeared that some of these areas were cleansed a bit to build up the trail again. The major rock section on the outcropping is now riding like Crestline. It is wide and sanded over. There are still a decent number of rocks and terrain that makes the ride worth it.
    BoiseBoy

aaarrrggghh!

No on 20 Mile

20 mile is hammered right now with the early summer rains. Lots of ruts and down trees. Don't bother, there are better rides in the area.

Muy Borracho
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan the Terrible
    20 mile is hammered right now with the early summer rains. Lots of ruts and down trees. Don't bother, there are better rides in the area.
    What do you suggest?

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by El Guapo
    What do you suggest?
    1. Loon Lake lollypop ride from the Ruby Meadows entrance. Saves the 16 mile out and back car trip on dirt to the Campground and adds mileage to the basic loop.

2. Eagle's Nest outside Cascade. 5+ miles of uninterrupted fantastic, buff, swoopy, narrow singletrack on the downhill. You can do it as an out and back or loop it via the FS road. I've done both. It's a grunt of a climb if you out and back it and you get some nice views if you loop it. I say get loopy.

3. Bear Basin road to the top of Brundage, down Elk Trail, back to the top of Brundage, back down Bear Basin road, and then hit the new singletrack loops off Bear Basin or take the Rim Trail back down to Warren Wagon road.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Payette Rim trail is a good option. Many different ways to ride this & can be a bit of route finding problem so get directions. It's close to town and doesn't require any driving. You can either ride up Bear Basin Road to start (I usually access Bear Basin Rd off of Warren Wagon via Meadow) or start at the Bear Basin TH parking area about 3 miles west of town on Hwy 55 to add more singletrack.

aaarrrggghh!
    I think the other fellas covered it.

Muy Borracho
    Thanks a bunch to all. Let me know if any of you make it out to Bend anytime. I'll return the favor.

mtbr member
    Rim Ride has been logged pretty heavily in the last year or so- I hear its coming back, but I've avoided it for a while. I heard that 20 Mile has been cleared from top to bottom, but that doesn't mean new trees aren't down on it since the dead standing trees from '94 are now rotting and falling left and right.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I just did it a few weeks ago. The logging hasn't affected the best parts. Seems most of logging is along Rd 451. I usually just drop down to Warren Wagon Rd via the single track routes, those are unaffected but you do have to do a bit of brush-busting to pick up the trail just as you enter the logged area; there's bunch of slash covering the intersection to the trail, but it's visible.