mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Riding near Kelly Creek Idaho

Hey guys - headed camping out in Kelly Creek..it's the middle of nowhere but will br going in through Orifino.

Anyway, debating on if I should bring the bikes or not...any riding to be had around there thats worth it?

Mike

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I haven't been on the ground on these trails but looking on topo maps and google earth, a potential ride up the Junction Mountain trail 106 to Junction Mtn Lookout looks like a good grade. Potential to make a loop by coming down on trail 191. Trail head for both trails looks to be approximately 1 mile east of Kelly Forks Work Center.

Another potential ride to check out is Pot Mountain Ridge trail 169 northeast of Mush Saddle toward Cold Springs Peak.

Or Pot Mountain trail 144 to Pot Mountain and Buckingham Point which are southwest of Mush Saddle.

Mush Saddle is accessed via Cold Springs Creek Road 711 which starts approximately 1 and 1/2 miles west of Kelly Forks Work Center.

I have no on the ground knowledge of these trails but have been checking them out on the maps and air photo's for potential rides if I get up that way.

Let us know if you find any good riding in that area.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Kelly Creek trail is awesome. You can also ride the stateline trail from Hoodoo Pass south, take the cutoff to little goose lake and have a nice ride ( leave a rig at the bottom off the road up to Hoodoo Pass. I hope that's enough detail - you should be able to see all this. Also, and out and back to Little Goose like is a nice ride...

Don't worry, be happy!
    found this link while poking around for Lolo pass info...
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/nezp...16470&actid=24

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    formica describes a great ride, except it is illegal now. the great burn is off limits to mtn bikes. the new maps are not out yet, but the order has been signed.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by tim208 View Post
    formica describes a great ride, except it is illegal now. the great burn is off limits to mtn bikes. the new maps are not out yet, but the order has been signed.
    Well crap. I guess I knew that. Sorry!

mtbr member
    What makes it illegal? Wilderness or some other designation or temp closure?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    region 1 of the forest service is treating proposed wilderness as wilderness. Bikes are illegal in wilderness. This has been an on going battle in the area for many years that finally came to a finish. So techinically speaking you can still ride it, until the maps are out, which is supposed to be any day now. But i have been hearing that for a couple of months. I got one last winter snowmobiling in there because of this technicality. But the order has been signed. Get involoved in the planning process of the forest in your area when it comes around.

I have been fighting this fight in either the lolo or clearwater natl forest for over a decade. Sad to see such a magnificent place closed down to my main 2 passions right now. There are many big backcountry rides in the area. The stateline trail and all it's spurs are pretty cool.

I don't recall if the road into fish lake is closed though. This might have been the concession. If it is good to go, that is a pretty double track up to an alpine lake. Cool spot. Lots of bike packing oppurtunities where there also.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I rode Junction last fall to the lookout and back down the same way, it's super steep granny gear most of the way up, so you're on the brakes a lot on the way down. Hopefully the Montana Conservation Corps extreme water bars are beat down by now, they worked the trail in late June 2012.. The loop option looks better, I would do the Junction side up first, so, counterclockwise. Those trails west of Kelly Forks, Pot Mnt., etc look enticing, but probably super steep. Trailhead at Bungalow would be closest to Orofino. Motorcycles use the 4th of July trail a lot, which is good and bad, heard it's rutted.