mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Riding near Cody?

Gonna be in Cody for a few days and just wondering about a couple rides close to town? 1-2 hrs for a fit couple, I love techy stuff but the wife not so much so less techy would be better damner

mtbr member
    Check with the bike shop in town Absaroka bikes. I don't think there's anybody in Cody that posts here. I grew up there but moved away a loooong time ago, but I've been back to visit (but not bike) and I picked up a little map/pamplet from the bike shop. Seems like you could find something you like and I bet they could give you some recommendations also.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Right on! Thanks I will check them out.

Vanilla Gorilla
    Definitely try to get your hands on the local bike shop trail guide mentioned earlier. Ping me via private message if you can't.

Watch the weather and this time of year demands an early start with plenty of water to manage the heat. I learned about them via the Park County Pedalers website and they are on the map from the bike shop.

If you are a GPS geek, you can see two rides I have done a couple times the past year or two. Here they are with a few notes...

Outlaw Trails
    Fun trails with a mix of techie and and friendly stuff. Must do ride for the area... Wife can split off and you can ride the "black diamond" routes and meet mid ride back to car.

Outlaw Trails - Cody, WY by popper1101 at Garmin Connect - Details

Cody's Version of Fruita
    This is a good popsicle route, not as much techie riding as Outlaw, my wife enjoyed it. Trail is faint in places, but keep looking ahead and it's not tough to stay on it. Cool slick rock features and good views.

Cody, WY Mountain Biking by popper1101 at Garmin Connect - Details
    Last edited by popper1101; 07-09-2013 at 09:02 PM.

This is how it started...

Yowza! You gotta ride Outlaw if you are in Cody WY

Picked up on this thread a couple weeks ago before I headed to Cody for a family wedding. That's to the OP for posting.

The Outlaw Trail system is the shizzz! I rode from town and spent part of the day exploring the system...just my kind of riding! You Park County Pedalers know how to build a swoopy, techy, au natural, off the seat kind of single track.

A little scary hearing gun fire on my first climb as I didn't know there was a target range over the east ridge.

The only part of the trail I didn't like was coming of the nose of the ridge as it appears to be a trail that is to steep of line to hold any kind of continuity and the erosion created by it was disheartening. But from the looks of how the locals build trail, my guess is they may have plans to rework a couple of the lines.

Kudos! Park County Pedalers!
    Life is about the ride.