lidless ascender

riding info for a roadtrip

Hi!
    Damjana and I liked our 2008 roadtrip through W USA so much we decided to do a repeat this year.
    This time we're taking a different route though.The plan is to go from San Francisco through lake Tahoe (again, but it's got lots of trails and is on the way), more or less straight through Nevada on I-80, go through north Utah past Salt Lake City and check out the Wasatch mountains while we're there and then go more or less straight to Yellowstone NP, probably through Wyoming.The plan from there on is to cross Idaho (maybe do a short stop in Montana if there's good stuff to ride somewhere near the border) east to west (Sun Valley maybe?), continue through Oregon on U.S. 20 to Bend and then head south on U.S. 97 towards California and go to Lassen NP on the way back to San Francisco.
    So, my question on this forum is obviously about riding in the Wyoming, Montana (the south west tip of the state) and Idaho part of the trip.We have more or less no information about riding in these three states, we did hear about good riding in Sun Valley, but that's it.
    As far as our preferences go, we like rolling singletrack and technical stuff, too.Elevation is not a problem, as isn't an elevation gain in the range of 3000-5000 ft.

thanks
    Marko
    I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.

Pictography

Don't worry, be happy!
    Wow you are in for a treat. Check the Sun Valley/Stanley stickies - lots of good trail and camping info there... as for the rest, I guess stay tuned.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    What time of year is your trip?
    I don't know what trail we're on, but at least it's getting dark

lidless ascender
    Quote Originally Posted by GregB406
    What time of year is your trip?
    We're coming to SF this friday (18th) and returning on october 6th.The roadtrip will take place from a couple of days after our arrival up to a few days before take off.
    We do realize it can probably get cold up north, but have no idea about the weather patterns for this part of the year.How probable is it to get rained (or even snowed) on this time of year?

Marko
    I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.

Pictography

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    The weather may be anything. Bring warm clothes. Snow is a reality, but it melts. When the weather is real bad, that is a great time to soak in a hot spring or hang out in one of the nice towns.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Yep, weather is a crap shoot this time of year. I think you'll be safe, just bring good foul weather gear.

I posted to the Sun Valley/Hailey/Ketchum sticky a couple days ago. There's some info on rides I think are worth a stop.

In Utah, I'd check out Park City. The Mid Mountain and Wasatch Crest trails are some of the cruisiest, funnest single track rides around.

Also, the Glenwild trail system is a nice ride and a good trail to get a feel for the local riding conditions, altitude, etc.

Lift assisted riding at Deer Valley is also a good time if you're feeling like some downhill practice or stunt riding - it's not that outer limits, there's something for everyone. A really great ride is to catch a lift ride up Deer Valley and then ride the Mid Mountain trail all the way north until you end up near I-80 in the Pinebrook subdivision. This would require a vehicle shuttle though.

An Adventure Map of the trail systems is a good idea - the ski resorts are kind of spider webbed with trails and it gets confusing.

A classic, long loop ride is to start on Rob's trail and catch the Mid Mountain trail and ride it all the way south across The Canyons and Park City ski resorts until you hit the Spiro trail and then use that to access the Wasatch Crest and work your way back north to catch Rob's trail. If you want more specifics, I could give them to you or you could just walk into any of the PC bike shops and explain you want to catch the Mid Mountain via Robs (the church parking lot) and then the Wasatch Crest trail back and I'm sure they'd point it out on your map.

Enjoy.

lidless ascender
    Yeah, we always buy maps for the areas we'll be riding.Picking the brains of local bike shop employees is another good way to get pointers where to go.
    As for the weather, I guess we'll just keep our fingers crossed it's going to be ok.We don't really plan to ride in the rain, so I guess if that happens, we'll just follow GregB406's advice and find a hot spring somewhere
    I'll check the stickies out, thanks for the advice, formica.

Marko

Pictography

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Actually, Park City has some of the best hotsprings I've ever visited...they're called hot tubs. There are so many condos in the area that it's easy to find a tub where you can act natural and blend in.

lidless ascender
    So you're saying it's hard to act natural and blend in without the hot tubs?

Marko

Pictography

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    That's funny.

We have a ton of great riding in the Teton Valley- Teton Pass- Jackson Hole area. A couple of good maps around. Check out the Friends of Pathways web site for the J-hole/ Teton Pass stuff, and www.tvtap.org site for Teton Valley.

Fitzgeralds bike shop in Jackson, Peaked Sports in Driggs for info/ stoke. Pop a note up on this thread if you stop in and are looking to be shown around- we'd be happy to do so.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by problematiks
    Hi!
    ... (maybe do a short stop in Montana if there's good stuff to ride somewhere near the border) ...
    Actually, the border between Idaho and Montana, the Continental Divide Trail, is super spectacular. Lionhead near West Yellowstone. The Centenniel Range, west of Island Park. Lima Peaks and Italian Peak, near Lima on I-15.

lidless ascender
    Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa
    That's funny.

We have a ton of great riding in the Teton Valley- Teton Pass- Jackson Hole area. A couple of good maps around. Check out the Friends of Pathways web site for the J-hole/ Teton Pass stuff, and www.tvtap.org site for Teton Valley.

Fitzgeralds bike shop in Jackson, Peaked Sports in Driggs for info/ stoke. Pop a note up on this thread if you stop in and are looking to be shown around- we'd be happy to do so.
    Will do.Right now I just need to gather enough info and start making a more definitive plan.Everything is already planned out until Salt Lake City, so connecting the dots from there on is all I need to do now.Obviously we'll leave out lots of good riding, but it's always like this with a limited amount of time on your hands.

Marko

Pictography

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I've done a bunch of riding in the Park City, Tetons, Sun Valley, Sawtooths and Bend. Sounds like you are hitting the right spots. Regarding Sun Valley vs Sawtooths, I think the Sawtooths are spectacular but a number of rides include 2-4 miles of paved and or dirt road (boring) so I recommend Sun Valley. Fantastic scenery, great camping and close to creature comforts, miles of trails with access close to campgrounds and town. Many big climbs 3000+ feet if you want or routes with shorter climbs and descents. Two Weeks ago I met some big groups of riders from Oregon and Utah at the North Fork Campground, 7 miles up the road from Ketchum. They all loved the trails – deep woods, open sage, aspens, big mountains, and broad vistas.

Do a image web search for “sun valley Idaho mountain biking” and you will find lots of great photos of the area. I found this: http://stat.ethz.ch/~dettling/rockymt4.html
    It has a copy of the most recent trail map and you’ll see just how close the trailheads are to Sun Valley/Ketchum. I dig the Oregon Gulch/Saddle Trail/Chocolate Gulch/Fox Creek Loops.

Also image search “sawtooth national recreation area” has photos of both Stanley and Ketchum/Sun Valley area. I like pictures. Enjoy.