pain intolerant
    Apr 2006

Riding From Echo Lake, MT: MTB Resources

Hi-
    I'm coming up to Montana from Fort Collins, CO this Friday for a week long family vacation. We've rented a house on Echo Lake. I've been scouring the interwebz for mtb resources and haven't come up with much.

Wondering if someone can point me to a map/guide book/shop...anything to help me get an idea of the type of riding I can do from the Echo Lake house (I prefer not to drive to a TH, but would if the riding is MUCH better somewhere else). I'm looking for 20-30 mile rides. A mix of dirt roads and trail are fine. I'm a mid-pack endurance racer kinda guy, FWIW.

Jordan

mtbr member
    May 2011
    For shops in the area check out Glacier Cyclery and Great Northern Cyclery in Whitefish and Sportsman and Ski Haus in Kalispell and Whitefish. They are on the web and have some rides listed. Also the Sportsman and Ski Haus has a cycling team on facebook. If nothing else, the Flathead National Forest map available shows dirt roads and trails in the Echo Lake area. Also Everytrail.com may have some mtn bike rides listed in that area. Pig farm, Whitefish Trail, and Reid Divide are popular trails for that area. Have a great trip.

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    Thanks sidehiller, that's very helpful!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I rode Alpine Trail #7 once 10 years ago. We did it as a point to point from Strawberry Lake north to the top of Columbia Mountain, and then about 3,000 vertical feet down to Columbia Falls. It was something like 20-25 miles point to point. One of the most scenic rides I've ever done. It is totally remote and in grizzly country so this ride is not to be taken lightly. We actually had to descend Columbia Mountain after dark because the ride took way longer than we thought. It is a ridgeline trail that ascends towards the top of a few peaks on its way north.

Alternatively, I think locals do a much shorter loop by going up Peters Ridge and down Strawberry Lake trail (clockwise loop).

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    Thanks rippling. The Peters Ridge - Strawberry Lake loop looks like something I can do from Echo Lake with some good options to make it a longer ride if I want.

Appreciate the advice!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Riding From Echo Lake, MT: MTB Resources

Hey I live in kalispell, just got into the MTB scene but am very active and athletic, if your lookn for some company and I'm home I'd love to go out. Just PM me