mtbr member

Riding around Great Falls?

I was just wondering what the riding is like around Great Falls. A buddy and I are thinking about trying to put in for orders to Malmstrom.

Toby
    Look out! He's got a board with a nail in it!

Beware the Blackbuck!
    Mar 2008
    I got here a couple months ago, PM me for info on whatever, bikes or otherwise.

There are a few great threads on riding around Great Falls, just search "Great Falls" and specify this forum only, otherwise you get a bunch of threads about crashing.

Here's some specifically:

Riding near Great Falls, MT

Great Falls Biking

Goodbye, Montana (part 1)

That last thread has some absolutely stunning scenery.

So far all I've ridden offroad has been the River's Edge trail. The eastern portions are almost exclusively single track, with some overgrown double track, and offer some decent challenges for me (the more difficult portions). The thing that makes it difficult is that in some areas crashing the wrong way could send you pretty painfully far down the river bank, or even into the river in a select few spots. Some areas I could probably clean on a normal woods trail, I bail out on because I don't want to chance a tumble down the bank. Most of the trail is really great stuff, but I'm already itching to try out some other areas around here.

Anyway PM me if you want any other info. Good luck with your orders.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I like the fact the the River's Edge trail isn't over crowded. I can ride to it from my house without even getting in the car if I choose. It stays rideable for a good portion of the winter. Night riding is a blast. It's improving all the time thanks to a dedicated few. Having missed the whole summer riding that trail and the rest in Montana, I really miss it. There are some great rides all across the state. Check out the book linked below. I don't see how anyone could come to Montana and be disappointed.

http://www.amazon.com/Montana-Single...8458490&sr=8-1