King of the Barneys

Ride: Taming the Coward Within

This is slightly off-topic, based on my usual southern Sunday road ride. But I couldn't believe the racket the weanie in my head put up when it came time to do the little hill up Happy Valley toward the prison, so here you go:

I just got back from my Sunday ride in the desert, and I have this personal nemesis climb that I have a love/hate relationship with. It's not that big a deal, except my old road bike is geared really high, and I'm no spring chicken.

When I come to a "T" about halfway into my usual route, I can go right up this long swooping hill that goes for a little over a mile, or turn left for a nice undulating ride back to civilization.

Within a mile of my weekly critical choice, I was amazed at what this chicken weanie inside my head started screaming at me:

"Save your legs, this is your third day in a row riding!"

"You already added the climb to the World Center for Birds of Prey-- That was enough!"

"It's getting cold, turn left and head home!"

"It's getting dark, now's a great time to bail--[hint, hint]"

"You're going to work out tomorrow night, so save your legs!"

"You're tired, and haven't taken a drink in 10 miles, so don't push it!"

"Nobody knows where you are, don't risk it!"

"Your cell phone's dead, take the safe route!"

"You've got nothing to prove, and besides, your wife wants you home!"

On and on this no-load, pencil-necked invertebrae coward in my head was screaming for the easy way out, begging me to turn left at the junction and just, ahhhhhh, coast....

The closer I got to the "T" junction, the madder I got. Snarling like a cornered cat, I took out my frame pump, strung that coward up between my bars and whipped him, beat him and reminded him that this is MY ride, not his, and I'M NOT A QUITTER! AAARRRGGH!!

Fire in my eyes, fight in my belly, and acid burning through my veins!

It was almost like a wind came into my back, (I kid you not), and every nerve and cell oriented itself into turning right and making that climb submit to the Paladin, demanding that not only the coward in my head surrender, but that ***** of a climb yield to me on bended knee.

hehehe.

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

mtbr member

Aaah, the Weenie Angel

I've got one of those on my shoulder too, who tries the talk the Courageous Angel out of steep rocky drops and fast descents. The C.A. tells me to lay off the brake, let 'er rip, carry more speed, go for it, you'll just kick yourself if you don't...

We all know what the W.A. says. Sometimes that keeps me safe, but most of the time it keeps me too safe. Disappointment sucks, especially when directed at yourself.

Good for you that you can both keep your sense of humor about challenges and see that they can almost always be taken on if you can get up the gumption. If I'm tired or feeling puny I always try to squeeze out just a little more than I think I've got. Nothing better than showing that inner weenie who's boss.
    Idaho dirt, river, sky

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    hmmmm...
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Hmmmmm

and they say bike riding is such a lonely sport...who can be lonely with all that talking going on?
    I just don't understand my wife....she thinks its nuts to ride when the temperature is in the 20's....go figure

roar
    All my angels right now are pissed off. They keep looking out the window and going "how we gonna do our jobs if we cant go ride" I know everyone is sick of the constant theme of "b!tch about the weather," but GEEZ what happened to living in a freakin desert?
    Whenever I haul a$$ I have to take two trips.

King of the Barneys
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollbarbie
    All my angels right now are pissed off. They keep looking out the window and going "how we gonna do our jobs if we cant go ride" I know everyone is sick of the constant theme of "b!tch about the weather," but GEEZ what happened to living in a freakin desert?
    Well said.

It was that sentiment exactly that encouraged me to keep going and take the long way home, even if it was getting dark and cold. At least I was out riding, not spinning in a sweaty dungeon with lousy music....

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    The meds keep the lil' voices quiet...whether they be angels or devils...

It was fun to ride into the wind and rain today....maybe it was meds....
    ...building wherever they'll let me...