mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Red Canyon (new to me) Hebgen Lake trail -- no pixels

I did ride from Taylor Fork to Hebgen via Red Canyon last Sunday.

Afraid actually rode from BS (!!) and we met up along the cabin creek trail after Sage Basin.

Anwyays, it was my first time riding those trails on the North Side of Hebgen, and Red Canyon had a VERY SWEET downhill.

It's definitely worth riding -- probably better as an out-and-back -- if you're in the area to do Mile/Sheep.

I've heard Kirkwood can be fun too depending on horse travel / trail conditions.

Now if only the smoke would leave...
    Last edited by Montana Rider; 08-23-2012 at 08:30 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Looking at the Beartooth Publishing map, that looks like a great ride!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Cool! Now that guiding season is winding down we can come up and check them out. Any bear sign?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post
    Cool! Now that guiding season is winding down we can come up and check them out. Any bear sign?
    I thought I saw one (older) scat pile on the downhill, but didn't stop to investigate.

Afraid was very vocal on the downhill -- I was just trying to keep up!

His Bear Spay was secured by "mop handle style" slide-in clamps on his downtube where a water bottle would go...

Mine stayed in my right pocket.

Saw a dog walker near the bottom, so the lower reaches must get regular recreational traffic.

The trail from Kirkwood to Red Canyon is said to be worthy and would add to the singletrack and road miles as opposed to RC as out-n-back.

We've been family camping on the SW side of Hebgen for free around Rumbaugh Ridge Cmpgrnd @ 44.767894,-111.269934) but next trip will be off the Beaver Creek FS road on the west-most side of Hebgen so I can explore these trails some more.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    i get loud in Cabin Creek, not Red Canyon. I saw a fresh bear print in the mud with big claw marks in Lightning on Saturday, a dust print of a griz in 1st Yellow Mule a week ago, and lots of small poop in 2nd yellow mule lately. Oh, and in Tamphrey i saw poop with pine nut shells in it, griz? I imagine the dry summer and lack of many live whitebarks could make the bears crazy this fall...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana Rider View Post
    ...We've been family camping on the SW side of Hebgen for free around Rumbaugh Ridge Cmpgrnd @ 44.767894,-111.269934) but next trip will be off the Beaver Creek FS road on the west-most side of Hebgen so I can explore these trails some more.
    We make a family trip to Yellowstone every few years and have enjoyed parking our camper up Beaver Creek rd and commuting to the park. I took a short ride this last time just to explore and was definitely hungry for more! I was very loud to scare off any bears and carried bear spray in a jersey pocket. I also had my smartphone playing music through its speaker with the volume all the way up. I ran into a pair of mtbers and the guy seemed shocked to see another rider. He said the ride I was on seems like it would make a good loop from Beaver Creek to Cabin Creek, but the last part of the trail into Cabin Creek wasn't finished yet so it was hike-a-bike.

Here is my Strava file.

It looks like the other guy on the Fs 985 B Climb segment leadboard was on quite a loop. Here's a link to his loop. Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Beaver Ck, Cub Ck, Cabin Ck. Crazy tough ride due to mud and snow. Lucky no hunters shot us. near West Yellowstone | Times and Records | Strava

[It looks like the other guy on the Fs 985 B Climb segment leadboard was on quite a loop. Here's a link to his loop. Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Beaver Ck, Cub Ck, Cabin Ck. Crazy tough ride due to mud and snow. Lucky no hunters shot us. near West Yellowstone | Times and Records | Strava[/QUOTE]

Oh hey, that's my strava post. Wife and I saw a ridiculous amount of griz track near Axolotl lake. Kept us spooked for the rest of the day.
    It all looked so flat on Google Earth!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by avion.nomad View Post
    [It looks like the other guy on the Fs 985 B Climb segment leadboard was on quite a loop. Here's a link to his loop. Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Beaver Ck, Cub Ck, Cabin Ck. Crazy tough ride due to mud and snow. Lucky no hunters shot us. near West Yellowstone | Times and Records | Strava
    Oh hey, that's my strava post. Wife and I saw a ridiculous amount of griz track near Axolotl lake. Kept us spooked for the rest of the day.[/QUOTE]

Wow, small world! That loop looks like a great adventure.

We picked the smokiest day of the week so I won't bother with pictures, but the Cub Creek to Red Canyon shuttle was an enjoyable adventure. The miles between Kirkwood Trail junction and the meadows are pretty tough, well actually you could say things get tough right after crossing Cabin Creek. Mountain Bike Ride Profile | West Yellowstone, MT - Cub Creek to Red Canyon shuttle near Gallatin Gtwy | Times and Records | Strava We did go back on a clearer day, rode in from Tepee Creek and hiked Skyline Ridge to White Stripe Peak. Good times.

Almost forgot - Yes there were fresh bear tracks. First tracks showed-up while we were still on the ATV trail.
    It all looked so flat on Google Earth!