mtbr member
    Jan 2006

R2R trails meeting & my own bully pulpit

I got invited to a Ridge to Rivers meeting about trail damage last night that was pretty interesting. One of the highlights of the evening was that I finally got to meet IrishBuddha in person!

One thing that BuddhaBoy said was that all of the groups ought to bring up some positive accomplishments instead of telling people what they shouldn’t do. The great thing was that there were a lot of positive comments to go around. Dog issues have declined, there’s more general awareness about maintaining a good trail system, and every user group admitted that we are all collectively part of the problem (and therefore, the solution). That’s a far cry from when I last worked on trail issues in Boise.

One of the key points was that messages from peers would be most effective when trying to spread the word to a particular user group. For instance, a runner telling a fellow runner how to minimize trail damage would probably be more effective than a biker telling a runner, or that advice from another recreational user might be more effective than a word from an “official” source. That doesn’t lessen the importance of TFloyd and the other rangers in any way; it’s just one more channel for keeping our singletrack single.

I recently signed on with examiner.com to write a blog about mountain biking Boise. In a somewhat shameless plug, here’s a link to an article I wrote about the meeting.

HH

Barneys Unite!
    I was impressed both by the number of attendees and the number of organized groups that were represented. I hope that we can all continue to work together.

TF

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TFloyd
    I was impressed both by the number of attendees and the number of organized groups that were represented. I hope that we can all continue to work together.
    Yeah, I was impressed, too. I was a bit disappointed that Brad's comments about more technical trails got glossed over, but I think it was just because it was a little outside last night's topic. The only time I thought that people got a bit territorial was about trail condition reports. I think it would be best to have one conditions list that everyone else could link to. But what do I know? (Don't answer that.)
    Last edited by Double H; 04-03-2009 at 02:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Sugar and spice

I thought it was a great meeting and very positive. The primary focus of last nights meeting was education and outreach. Brad's idea was a little outside that arena as were a couple of other excellent ideas. None the less they were all great ideas.

Now we need to put some sugar and spice back on Brads concept and resell it under another bag of trips we develop for R2. We need to provide so may tools and options for Ridges to Rivers that people start thinking David Gordon looks like Santa Claus with the tools in the big bag over his shoulders.

I really want to thank David Gordon with Ridges to Rivers and all those involved for getting out in front of these issues and bringing all the users togather to identify the solutions. It is soooo much better for the users to define the solutions rather than having others do it for us!

Thanks David

King of the Barneys
    Quote Originally Posted by TFloyd

TF
    Glad you were there, Terry. I'd gotten an invite to represent the Barney rides, but couldn't make it.
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

BMX:Our Shining Future

Was The Meeting Horsey Friendly?

cowgirls want to know
    Attached Images Attached Images