Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Propsal to BLM- Radersburg, MT

Hey Everyone-
    I haven't been on here much recently- kinda got a canoe as an engagement ring and started loving the river life... got married...got foreign exchange students...turned 39 and started to, weirdly, slow down! (O no!!!)

So! I'm not sure if this has been brought to anyone's attention here or not, but I'm excited by this proposal! A friend of mine put it to the BLM to build some trails near Radersburg (desert area- trails would probably be bikable all year long). It would be on the western slope of Lone Mountain. My friend Tim is one of the most ON FIRE bikers and humble human being I've ever met, he's every where at once, always doing research for where to bike and when... it's always a great ride if Tim is involved!
    Take a look at the presentation he made up! (good job, Hawke and Dirt Concern!)
    Volunteers will be needed to help build the trails... I'm stoked to bike it!!!

https://docs.google.com/present/view...wxdj_1fkwm9wfb

Thanks for looking and sorry if this is just redundant.
    Woops
    Don't get even, get odd.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Did the BLM bite?

My questions are:

Has your friend reviewed any environmental assessments and travel management plans for the area? These are things the BLM would have to review/develop with any trail project.
    Does his proposal align with both?
    Has he had any other buy in by other groups? (Buy in and co-presenters would help his proposal.)

Just some food for thought.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

beater
    Glad to see Emmet on-board. It would certainly be a nice winter option for us in H-town.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

rth009
    May 2010
    this is a fantastic idea. Every time I drive by that section from cardwell to manhattan in the winter and see those hills without snow I think the same thing. Keep us posted on how it goes and let us know what we can do to help.

mtbr member

+1

Definetly has my vote. Pulaski and trail rake ready and willing.
    "Speed focuses the mind. It cuts through the fog of drab everyday living and keeps us on our toes."

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    The initial reception by the BLM is quite favorable. They will have to do an Environmental Assesment. They say it's a lot less of a process than an EIS. The beauty of this area is that it appears unwanted. We'll find out if there are unknown concerns as we go forward. They seem happy because Tim did half of their work up front.

The BLM doesn't have much in the way of recreational plans. We're just filling in some gaps, I hope.

Tim is a visionary kind of guy. I'm glad he persued this idea. It may open some doors for MT bikers. His plan is not close to I-90 though. That area near Cardwell is Doherty Mt. Maybe we can check it out someday as well.
    I don't know what trail we're on, but at least it's getting dark

Greg-

I was hoping you would chime in. The enviro assessment (EA) is a lot less painful. If the BLM is into it, I would have them include ALL possible trails you would want in the future so none of you have to go through another EA to get more trails. Y'all can just focus on building.

As you move forward, contact all possible users (and I do mean ALL...even the ones that could torpedo the project) up front. At least that way, you'll have initiated talks with them, hopefully brought up all the nasty issues, and no one can torpedo you in the last hour of the project.

And if you have done this already, my hat is off to you. Again, I am glad you chimed in.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher
    Greg-
    As you move forward, contact all possible users (and I do mean ALL...even the ones that could torpedo the project) up front. At least that way, you'll have initiated talks with them, hopefully brought up all the nasty issues, and no one can torpedo you in the last hour of the project.
    Excellent point. I think in this case neighboring landowners and grazing leassee's are the most critical. This is a small area, about 1 irregular section of land, surrounded by private property.

mtbr member
    Cool. I am glad I put this up.
    Are you saying that Doherty Mt is another possibility/worth looking into now, as part of the same project?
    Greg, should I ask Tim the questions posed here? Or are you in touch with him at all?
    I think there is a really good point in seeking out the tornado launchers before hand... Always an old grump out there, throwing wrenches.

~Woops
    Don't get even, get odd.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Woops, glad you posted as well. I've found it is dangerous to approach many of the codgers around here. They don't get anything and they can be frustratingly stubborn. My thought is to work with the BLM regarding the adjacent neighbors and contacting whoever holds the grazing lease on that parcel. The BLM should have that information.

Tim is gone for a few days. I can talk with him when he returns. I'll make him aware of this thread.

Steezy Steve
    Feb 2011

Watch out for radersberg folk

Quote Originally Posted by GregB406
    I've found it is dangerous to approach many of the codgers around here. They don't get anything and they can be frustratingly stubborn.
    Ya, I'm naturally a little weary of anyone who would paint a large piece of driftwood blue and stand it up in their front yard, or make an addition to their house by cutting an RV in half and sticking it to the house.

mtbr member
    not the status quo... that actually sounds kinda cool. I'm going to have to go check Radersburg out. We have 2-3 fresh inches of snow, fire-in-the-fireplace weather, here in uptown Butte. MIght be a good day to head over there.
    Don't get even, get odd.

Personally, I would have painted the driftwood like a big dragon....with lots of spots and glitter.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm in-
    Thanks for all of the kind responses. This has been a labor of love, and I'm just getting started. As Greg said, the initial response from the BLM was very positive. I will keep you all posted.Cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    This is an absolutely amazing idea. Having a trail system ridable in the winter months would be invaluable, especially for those of us that would rather bike on snow than ski or board.

beater
    I'm all for a winter riding spot.

But... I tried skibiking (sitting down, ski-bob style) at Showdown this winter. It was a full day of honest-to-God laugh-out-loud fun. I'd love to try real skibiking - feet on pegs, on something like a LenzSport with real suspension.

mtbr member
    I have seen people doing that- I am curious! There is someone at Discovery who has one,but I think he can only ride it with permission from the owners. ?
    Looks like fun, tho.
    Don't get even, get odd.

rth009
    May 2010
    Any updates on this proposal?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Just drove by this today on my way from Helena to the Gallatin. Any progress with the feds?

mtbr member
    Cool.

beater
    Any updates here? I've heard grapevine chatter about people riding, and the last time I talked to Emmett about it, he was really excited about the potential for quality trails. That was a month or so ago, and I haven't heard much since. I know he and the other Helena trail folks are gearing up to get things going closer to home in the Scratchgravels, with BLM's blessing. Any of you Bozo people have more recent updates?

rth009
    May 2010
    Is this proposal dead? I clicked the link from the first post and was "access denied." Just curious why such an excellent idea appears to have gone nowhere.

beater

Propsal to BLM- Radersburg, MT

My understanding is that the effort moved to Doherty Mountain. From a Helena perceptive, that works for me. I did send an email to the BLM in support of that proposal.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Update- Bad news folks. I was waiting for an EA from the BLM and moved on to another idea (Doherty Mountain). That one was seemingly going well, but imploded when a local group of trophy hunters chimed in. They want to put Bighorns up there to shoot. They managed to raise quite a stink locally. I have to put that one on the shelf for a couple of years and try to garner some better support from the community.
    As for Lone Mountain- I just got off the phone with the Archaeologist from the BLM. 4 different tribes hold ceremony at that spot. Deal breaker. That one I can respect. I am not about to go dig holes in their church...
    I have some other ideas in the works. Stay tuned!

rth009
    May 2010
    that sucks. Keep us posted and let us know if letters need to be written or calls need to be made. We need a good winter riding spot with purpose-built trails, especially one that is centrally located near I-90.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast