mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Proposed Foothills Development: Harrison Hollow / Kastera

Say goodbye to another great close-in trail system. I hope this cut & paste works. I tried to edit out the drop-outs between this pdf file and my posting. Any typos are my fault and not the developers. The vicinity map, which didn't paste in, indicates the area is between 36th St and Bogus Basin Rd, and between Cartwright & Hill Rd. The cover letter I received indicated their intention is to build "estate homesites".

If you would like the actual pdf including a coarse-resolution map, PM me.

March 15,2006

RE: Neighborhood Meeting Invitation - March 30,2006 - 7:OOpm to 8:OOpm at the Boise
    City Fire Station #2,3551 Cartwright Road, Boise, Idaho.

Dear Property Owner:

My name is Wayne S. Forrey and I am an Urban Planner with Kastera Homes of Boise, Idaho.
    Kastera Homes recently acquired a 270 acre parcel of land which is generally between Hillside
    Junior High School and Bogus Basin Road along the north side of Hill Road in Boise. See
    vicinity map below:

We acquired this property to develop estate homesites and dedicated open space that will include
    hiking and biking trails. It is our desire to develop one of the finest new additions to Boise
    within this neighborhood.

We are writing to invite you to attend a neighborhood meeting on Thursday evening, March 30,
    2006 from 7:OOpm to 8:OOpm at the Boise City Fire Station #2 community meeting room. The
    Boise City Fire Station #2 is located at 3551 Cartwright Road in Boise.

At this time we are proposing to apply for annexation into Boise City. We are open to
    development ideas so we are hoping you can attend and give us your thoughts about
    development concepts for this property. If you want to call me, I can be reached at Kastera
    Homes at 208-472-0300. You can call me at any time.
    We look forward to meeting you at the March 30th neighborhood meeting.

Wayne S. Forrey, AICP
    Director of Planning and Entitlements
    372 S. Eagle Road, Suite 375, Eagle, Idaho 83616 Tel: 208.472.0300 Fax: 208.472.0320 www.Kastera.com

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    I wondered when they would finally post their intent. The 32st Loops have had survey stakes on them for a couple years now. The trail to Cartwright Rd was lost a couple years ago.

Ride 'em while you still can...and submit a lot of requests for trail.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    First is was the Quail Ridge houses, then it was that Homan guy with the fence and the miniture tree farm, now this.

Adam: Is there a way you can post the map or point us to a link where the map is? PM me if you prefer to email it.

I think some of the north facing slopes over the ridge from Hill are too steep to build on but that doesn't mean the estate (ie McMansion and Starter Castle) owners won't fence off their own private Idahos. Shame.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Hi!!!
    Damn. I like the Harrison Hollow trails.

mtbr member
    i don't know any specifics about this development..

but, i'm guessing that it will fall under the newly adopted Foothills plan. i'm not an expert on the foothills plan either..but, i'll try to contribute some info/opinion.

here's a link:

http://www.cityofboise.org/pds/CompP...x?id=foothills

the foothills plan is a tough plan to develop under, for multiple good reasons. there are lots of requirements and restrictions that don't apply to building on flat land. so, that's a good thing for trail users....

it sucks to lose trails. but, this guy owns the land and can do whatever he wants. however, because the foothills plan is in play here, he will be restricted on what he can do..

i.e you will not see 0.5 acre type lots..i.e. this doesn't sound like a very dense developement like a somerset or quail ridge, etc...

he even uses the words "estate" and "open spaces".

one of the main things i've notice about the foothills plan is that the city wants to see minimal disturbance/minimal cut/fill. due to the steep nature of the foothills, this makes it hard to get roads and buildable lots in place. also, gravity is sewer/stormwaters best friend...so, lots of varying topo makes it tough/expensive to develop. also, the foothills plan calls for open spaces a lot..don't know how much open space, specifics...but, it does require such and i think it's pretty stringent..

bottom line here...the guy wants to put as many lots as possible up there. that's the truth behind it all.

but, he going to try to be everyone's best friend during the planning process to get what he wants too.
    Last edited by garnetspur; 03-21-2006 at 12:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    [ATTACH][/ATTACH]
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    Adam: Is there a way you can post the map or point us to a link where the map is?
    Voila!

kastera letter.jpg

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamW
    [ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Voila!

kastera letter.jpg
    Dat ugly. Dat real ugly.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member

looks like one big hill....probably build around the base of the hill...it's a big sucker..

Look out!
    A sad day indeed.
    Ride the bike.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Last year, I saw lots of survey stakes on the ridge above Ussery...right by the trail on top of that ridge....
    ...building wherever they'll let me...