dblblack
    Apr 2012

Primitive Wyoming rides

I do a lot of riding in the Boise foothills, but I'm always looking for rides that are off the beaten path. Here is a couple of options that I thought I'd share that are in western Wyoming. The first is Wyoming Peak, (highest point in the Wyoming Range). Yes, you can ride down the entire peak but there is a little "push-a-bike" on the final ascent.

Second one is Shoal Creek, which has a trailhead in Hoback Canyon. You can ride in 12+ miles to the GV Wilderness boundary and then back out.

If you are looking for some primitive trail, "adventure" type rides, you may want to check these out.

mtbr member
    Check out Little Greys to Pickle Pass to Camp Creek (or Hoback Junction) sometime.

It is off the beaten path and primitive and in Wyoming. Check check and check.

dblblack
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by chukt View Post
    Check out Little Greys to Pickle Pass to Camp Creek (or Hoback Junction) sometime.

It is off the beaten path and primitive and in Wyoming. Check check and check.
    Hey Chukt, thanks for the tip! Little Greys and Camp Creek are familiar to me, (haven't mountain biked them yet, but i know the terrain). I hadn't heard of Pickle Pass, so did some research and it looks to be up in the Roosevelt Meadows area. I think from there to Camp Creek heading north, you are basically on the Wyoming Range Trail. Is that correct?
    IMO if somehow the Wyoming Range Trail could be developed for the full 80 miles, it would be one of the coolest mountain bike trails anywhere. I have found one documented case of someone actually doing it: A YouTube Video by Forrest McCarthy.

mtbr member
    We used to try to ride it once a year. I have not heard of anyone riding it since then (early 90s).

mtbr member
    Another good one is Mosquito Creek (s. of Wilson) to Big Elk Creek (east of Palisades Rez) via Starvation Peak.

Wyoming, Primitive, Off the beaten path...check check check.

Big shuttle to set up but a big ride too.
    Last edited by chukt; 10-04-2012 at 06:03 AM. Reason: spelling