mtbr member
    Apr 2010

pipestone pass to lime kiln road info

I am heading to Fairmont hotsprings for meetings this weekend. I have ridden the homestake pass to pipestone pass a couple of times.
    Is the CDT trail out of pipestone pass to lime kiln road any good?
    I am looking to make the homestake to pipestone pass route a little longer and was thinking of heading out that way?

any other kickass rides in the butte area I should do instead?

thanks
    tim

mtbr member
    Tim, I believe my wife and I met you about this time last year at Homestake Pass. We were the couple in th ered VW van.

We're going to be there this weekend too because my wife and some friends are running in the Wolf Man trail running race on Saturday - so expect lots of runners on the trail between Pipestone and Homestake until about 11am. I'm not familiar with Lime Kiln road but riding the Toll Canyon loop south of Pipestone Pass would tack on some additional mileage to the ride you're describing. It's a fun downhill to the bottom (east side) of Pipestone Pass road and then about 3 miles to climb back up the paved road to the top of Pipestone before for the returning to Homestake. I want to say that extra loop is about 8 miles or so.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Dir-t

I remember.
    Obviously your wifes race and my meetings are the same time. I will probably ride the north side on Saturday.
    Thanks for the info on the toll canyon.

tim

mtbr member
    We may ride the north side too and then something on Sunday although our plans are up in air at this point. It depends which of our other friends stick around / show up to ride that weekend.

If you see us you should stop by and I can at least give you better directions for Toll Canyon.

Shane

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I usually ride CDT (South side) from Homestake Pass, loop into Beaver Pond downhill, climb back to Pipestone Pass and rejoin CDT back to Homestake.

IIRC, it's 18 miles or so.

If you wanted to make it longer you could take the Toll Road climb/downhill from the Pass (as dir-T) suggested.

I think the Guidebook has Toll Canyon beta, but this is a snippet...

I prefer the CDT loop, but adding Toll would make for a long day.

Toll Canyon Mountain Bike Trail in Butte, Montana || SINGLETRACKS.COM

Start with an extended climb at a moderate grade for a few miles. Be sure to take the short spurs to lookouts, first on the right, then on the left. Once back on the main trail, you'll top out and have some great singletrack. Then you get a super descent, complete with switchbacks, back to the highway. Then it's a gradual three mile climb back to the summit of the pass. Combine this with the Beaver Ponds loop for a great, 15 mile figure eight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    dir-t if i see you i will say hello. I am probably getting over there saturday afternoon and was wanting to grab a 2-3 hour ride and than i had all day sunday to ride.

How do you get to the toll canyon trail? I got to get better maps of the area.

montana rider i do like your idea of adding the beaver ponds.
    kinda cool to have options.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tim208 View Post
    How do you get to the toll canyon trail? .
    The trailhead is at the top of Pipestone Pass on the south side of Route 2. From there, the dirt trail heads into the woods going south. There is a trail that drops down to the left and hooks back toward the paved road, don't take that trail. There is another trail that branches off to the right, don't take that either. Those trails occur within the first 50 yards of so from the trailhead.

Once you pass those trail junctions just follow the trail for a good long while. You eventually come to a fork with a sign that may say something about Fish Creek and/or Highlands Camp/Road (not the "vista" signs) . Turn left and descend. Follow the creek back out to the paved road and climb back up to the top to pick up the CDT.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I only rode there on sunday, but sweet riding area, i will be back.