mtbr member

Pipestone/ Lewis & Clark Caverns

Any snow info on this area? It's been about a month since I've been on a bike and I've got that itch to ride. Thinking about heading over that way later this week/ weekend if things are clear.

Harshing my mellow, man..
    Jun 2008
    we just got a big dump of rain the past 12 hours. it's wet.

beater
    L&C Caverns is almost completely dry. There were minor stretches of muddy/snowy trail at the very top and in the deepest parts of the gulch. It was great today (and really busy).
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

rth009
    May 2010
    It may be a bit early for dirt at Pipestone/lewis and clark, but I have to ask? Does anybody have any intel? Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Anyone? I'm itching for dirt even though it's still early.

beater

Pipestone/ Lewis & Clark Caverns

I don't know any one who's been down there yet. Haven't seen any social media activity from there.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1637...4346155948744/
    Probably not quite ready.
    You can always call the visitors center directly @ 406.287.3541 If it is during business hours someone typically will pick up. I think it is important to let them know you are mt biking, it really helps our cause to let them know we care enough to call. Check in with them in person too.

mtbr member
    Rode pipestone two weeks ago. Singletrack up high wasnt really rideable. 4 wheeler trails were fun on a fatbike. I have frinds who have been there on motos and said it was sloppy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Rode LC this am. Called on Friday, they did receive snow on Thurs. I was there pretty early, snow up high still. On the uphill right trail hit snow 1/2 way up, but all ride-able. But again this was only because i was there early, by the 3rd lap it was 1030 and time to call it a day as everything started to warm up.
    Left hand side (campground) there is a little more snow. High up on the left not even worth it.
    If you are willing to just ride the right hand side up and back, then its worth it. but go early, anything after 10'ish will start to cause damage for the next couple of weeks.
    I did get a report from Pipestone from today. Clear up to 4-corners, then snow the higher up you go. Homestake pass is a fair amount of snow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fleboz View Post
    Rode LC this am. Called on Friday, they did receive snow on Thurs. I was there pretty early, snow up high still. On the uphill right trail hit snow 1/2 way up, but all ride-able. But again this was only because i was there early, by the 3rd lap it was 1030 and time to call it a day as everything started to warm up.
    Left hand side (campground) there is a little more snow. High up on the left not even worth it.
    If you are willing to just ride the right hand side up and back, then its worth it. but go early, anything after 10'ish will start to cause damage for the next couple of weeks.
    I did get a report from Pipestone from today. Clear up to 4-corners, then snow the higher up you go. Homestake pass is a fair amount of snow.
    Where are trails at LC? Single track? More xc type of trails or is there some up and downs?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    LC=Lewis and Clark....

mtbr member
    LC=Lewis and Clark....
    Ya I figured that, just didn't know where the TH was.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Sorry i figured you had been there, my bad! This area has been improved a lot over the past years for riding; but tread lightly as it could be taken away just as quickly. I would consider it xc, but not sure what you mean by xc or up and down. Its not a downhill course if that helps.
    Once you get there it is pretty self explanatory. And a little hard to explain. You have 2 choices for parking. At the visitor center (aka "right) or the campground (aka left).
    the two trails do connect, but not right now for bikes due to snow. If it was dry, you can do a figure 8 type loop.
    Since you havent been there, start at the visitor center. The trail starts there and kicks you out pretty quickly back on the road at the gate. Take a right and just go up. In a few weeks you will be able to connect the left trail by going under a bridge. For now i just suggest riding up to the top, then continue down until you hit snow. Turn around and head back to your car. There are maps and signs everywhere. If the visitor center is open, stop in they are great.
    You'll figure it out, its a pretty small area and like i said above plenty of signs.

mtbr member
    Sorry i figured you had been there, my bad! This area has been improved a lot over the past years for riding; but tread lightly as it could be taken away just as quickly. I would consider it xc, but not sure what you mean by xc or up and down. Its not a downhill course if that helps.
    Once you get there it is pretty self explanatory. And a little hard to explain. You have 2 choices for parking. At the visitor center (aka "right) or the campground (aka left).
    the two trails do connect, but not right now for bikes due to snow. If it was dry, you can do a figure 8 type loop.
    Since you havent been there, start at the visitor center. The trail starts there and kicks you out pretty quickly back on the road at the gate. Take a right and just go up. In a few weeks you will be able to connect the left trail by going under a bridge. For now i just suggest riding up to the top, then continue down until you hit snow. Turn around and head back to your car. There are maps and signs everywhere. If the visitor center is open, stop in they are great.
    You'll figure it out, its a pretty small area and like i said above plenty of signs.
    Awesome thanks!

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chukt View Post
    Awesome, thanks. I'll check it out one of these days. Maybe take the fatbike.