beater

Pipestone conditions

Were pretty excellent yesterday. We weren't the only ones there.

Apparently it's February??

Pipestone conditions-pipestone.jpg
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    good news (except for the impending draught/forest fires this summer...)

If Pipestone is riding good, does that mean L&C Caverns should be too?

I wasn't sure if aspect/elevation was similar, as Pipestone feels a bit more 'open' (read: less tree covered...)

Thanks!

beater
    Don't have any beta on L&C trails. There was some snow in the shade here and there at Pipestone, but it wasn't frozen. It was well worth the drive from Helena.

Yeah, I hope this doesn't set us up for a bad fire season. I'm taking a bath on my Disco pass so far this winter.

mtbr member
    Would you be willing to point me in the direction of the trail that is in the photo? I've only ridden parts of pipestone that are south and east of spire rock, basically between spire rock and 90. I've seen a few photos that have terrain similar to this at pipestone... it'd be nice to find some new trails out there.

beater
    This was my first time riding there, actually. I was following someone, so I'm not sure how well I'd be able to describe it. We rode north and counter-clockwise. That picture was taken while headed south above the creek. Lots of fun rocky pitches that way. PM me your email address and I'll send you a GPX file if you'd like.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by stn112 View Post
    Would you be willing to point me in the direction of the trail that is in the photo? I've only ridden parts of pipestone that are south and east of spire rock, basically between spire rock and 90. I've seen a few photos that have terrain similar to this at pipestone... it'd be nice to find some new trails out there.
    As you know, it's a bit of a maze. This is the route that we followed. It's pretty much the area you describe, but by hugging the crest of the hill we got into the granite outcrops.

Pipestone conditions-pipestone020511.jpg

mtbr member
    interesting.... I haven't done too much riding along the creek, or south of delmoe lake road for that matter. i'll have to do some more exploring down that way. i don't have a gps so the gpx file wouldn't do me any good. thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I have a better map at home, but this link (pdf) shows most of the OHV trails... there's a few 'motorcycle' only trails which have tighter singletrack.

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial.../Pipestone.pdf

beater
    Thanks. I have a copy of that on my PC but had forgotten about it. So our route was north via junctions W, Z and O, then over to the motorcycle-only trail that brings you south to junction Y. That picture was taken somewhere along that M trail.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Here's the other map someone from MTBR emailed me a few years back...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pipestone conditions-pipestonemap_1_1.jpg  

beater
    Anyone got any idea on how Pipestone fared with the most recent system? I'd love to ride this weekend.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    Were pretty excellent yesterday. We weren't the only ones there.

Apparently it's February??

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pipestone.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	152.3 KB 
ID:	671849
    Is that your Yelli Screamy I see?? So you live in Helena? I just moved from Bozeman 5 months ago. I didn't ride Pipestone all that much, but when I did I enjoyed it.
    http://kevinboyer.zenfolio.com/

*2014 Knolly Endorphin...Custom Build*
    *2013 Intense Spider 29...Custom Build*

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinboyer View Post
    Is that your Yelli Screamy I see?? So you live in Helena? I just moved from Bozeman 5 months ago. I didn't ride Pipestone all that much, but when I did I enjoyed it.
    Yup and yup.

Nor I- most winters I'm happy skiing until mid-March, but this one has been screwy. Hoping to get down there again soon with the new bike, though.

beater

Wet

Today's weather was gorgeous, but the trails were still pretty wet in spots. A fair number of folks out on bikes and motos today, though.

Forecast sounds like it'll be in the 60s and dry through the week, so next weekend should be pretty dry, if loose.

Pipestone conditions-img_2650resize.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana Rider View Post
    good news (except for the impending draught/forest fires this summer...)

If Pipestone is riding good, does that mean L&C Caverns should be too?

I wasn't sure if aspect/elevation was similar, as Pipestone feels a bit more 'open' (read: less tree covered...)

Thanks!
    Pipestone is a bit of a banana Belt, has been for years, in the mountains our Snowpack is pretty close to normal, depending on area's, some are normal

ftp://ftp.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/data/snow/update/ws.txt

Lev
    You Guys Riding?
    Would someone mind posting where Pipestone is located? Going to be in Big Sky area for the next few weeks. Might be looking to do some riding if the snow is slush (which I hear it is...). Thanks.

Any other trail recs in the area?

beater
    One exit west of Whitehall, on the north side of I-90. Follow the slip road to the west, and stay left when you see the sign for the Pipestone OHV trailhead. You'll see parking as soon as you cross the railroad. From that description, you'll be able to figure it out on Google maps for yourself if anything is unclear.

It's something of a maze out there, but hopefully the maps we've already posted will help. It's starting to get soft and churned up by the moto traffic, though.

mtbr member
    OP thanks for the update, we may hope it dries up a bit and head over Sat or Sunday

As noted above it is something of a maze of trails, easy to find your way around for the most part.
    You can also once we actually have a spring take the homestake Exit at the top of the pass go right or left to ride the CDT trails.
    Should you go East on the trail system you will end up on the pipestone end of things.
    Really I rode up there quit a few times on fourwheelers and Im sure I never came anywhere close to exploring all the OHV trails little lone single track.