mtbr member

Pica Pt Big Sky MT

Yeah Greg, you had a better title but if I don't put up some pictures now I won't do it at all.

First of all, if anyone doesn't already know, and is interested in geology or landscape shaping events, you NEED to check out the Taylor Fk landslide. This happened sometime between Memorial Day and 4th of July 2011. You can now see it on Google Earth, 1/2 mile up Meadow Ck Trail, about a 1/4 to 1/2 mile wide and at least a mile long. On geological time this happens all the time in the Taylor Fork, on human time, you only see this every few generations.

Wifey is standing on the undisturbed surface to the north of the slide. She's 5" 1", the edge of the slide piled up about 8' high. She hates walking across this crap.

Here's the scarp face. This is where the mountain collapsed and slid on down the hill. The grey rock at the bottom is sediment from the shallow inland sea that covered this part of the continent waaaaay long ago, the yellow at the top is volcanic ash from the last time the Y-stone volcano blew up.

Here's a picture of a TINY sliver of another arm of the slide for scale. For real, if this interests you GO THERE AND CHECK IT OUT. We spent about 4 hours poking around and a real earth science geek could spend all day.

Then we rode.

Grizzly bear on the trail, licking his lips looking at Greg and the rest of our crew, 2.5 miles into the ride. He was TOTALLY uninterested in our screeching yells warning the rest of the crew. All that BS about making noise and wearing bells is TOTALLY unfounded. I'm looking forward to the next gun show.

Where we roll.

This is what we call singletrack.

The end of the climb. The downhill was too much fun for pictures - except for all the &*^%&^ downed trees - about 20+ of them.

Wifey won't let me make beaver jokes so here's a picture.

Have a fun summer!!

Greg, tag, you're it!

beater
    Nice!
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Really great shots. Thanks for sharing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    cool pics, nice meating you at homestake pass.

those bells are known as dinner bells for bears. when the bear hears them, they know dinner is coming.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Good write up Dir-T! I'm going to have to get up to the landslide.

The ride was awesome, but it would have been better if the trees were cut out. Guess I better get to work, again. That last windstorm put us backwards a full season in 3 days of blowin.

I'd put the Pica Point ride up at the top of any scenic Montana ride list. The views are 360 degree and stunning and frequent. The trail itself is only poor to fair. And everyone be warned, if it rains or threatens to rain, get out of there, the mud is the worst. You'll have trouble carrying your bike.

Nothing like being bogged down while a grizzly is giving you the eye.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pica Pt Big Sky MT-dscn6820f.jpg  

Pica Pt Big Sky MT-dscn6836f.jpg  

I don't know what trail we're on, but at least it's getting dark

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Wet wildlife. I could say something positively tasteless, But I won't.

Here are some other photos. It sure was a great day for weather. I'd take another just like it. Plus my bike felt good. Mmmmm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pica Pt Big Sky MT-dscn6853f.jpg  

Pica Pt Big Sky MT-dscn6874f.jpg  

Pica Pt Big Sky MT-dscn6880f.jpg  

Pica Pt Big Sky MT-dscn6887f.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Hey Greg,

Re: trail itself is only poor to fair.

How does the downhill compare to Wapiti -- I've been meaning to try Pika route, but if it's not as much fun as Wapiti Creek (which had gotten pretty bad in terms of erosion the last time I rode it) I'll stick to that

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    i like Pika better, Little Wapiti is the one we take our wives or girlfriends on, or use it as the uphill instead of Oil Well. Don't know why Greg doesn't like Pika.

mtbr member
    Speaking for myself, and it's been a few years since I did Wapiti, Wapiti is a faster more flowy decent. Pika is more technical with some rocky sections that require some sporty line selections and more finess of the brakes. All good but different. Pika was also really boggy in spots when we rode it. With some re-routing you could avoid that stuff and get a longer downhill - maybe dreaming on that though.

Tim, it was nice meeting you too! Once you mentioned hunting with your Bob I was pretty sure I had read your posts. I hope you had a great time in MT. Next time you're in town you should let us know and we can show you around some other areas.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I better clarify. I liked Pica scenery (a lot), the uphill that we traveled, and the lower part of the descent is fun and flowy. I thought the first mile off of Pica was poorly routed, too steep to be sustainable, too steep to use as an uphill, and didn't have to go through the wet meadows. Kind of a waste of a good mountain. Just needs a reroute to be funner and more enviro friendly. (yeah, I'm an enviro). I rode it just fine. Also needs a big effort of tree clearing, we had to lift over or detour about 20 locations. The trees just flat screwed with the good flow on the bottom part.

I haven't ridden around Taylor Fork enough to be able to compare trails so I can't comment.

Tag, someone else can be it for tree clearing. Been doing trail work for two months now. Gonna take a break for a few weeks.