How much further ???

Phoenix to Boise

Hello all,

I have spent some time in the sticky thread poking around and I really like what I have seen about Boise. I was wondering if any of you have lived in both Phoenix and Boise and can give comparisions. Even if you havent lived in Boise, I'd love to hear your opinion as well. Here is some info on me.

I grew up in Chicago. After 30 years I could not stand the cold, sloppy winters. No sun for weeks. Humid and nasty summers. And no opportunities for outdoor activity. So we moved to Phoenix.

My wife and I love the mountains. The mountan biking is year around with tons of techy, rocky, chunky goodness.

But something doesnt feel right and we are looking to find a new place to call home. Something has always drawn me to the northwest and I cant seem to find one bad thing for my family in Boise.

Im in IT/engineering and we have a 3 year old and twin 9 month old babies.

Thanks ahead of time.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    You'll like it here. We ain't got pebbles like they got on South Mountain, though. Just chuck your suspension and yul be fine.

Besides in Phoenix it's like what, 158 degrees today?
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank View Post
    You'll like it here. We ain't got pebbles like they got on South Mountain, though. Just chuck your suspension and yul be fine.

Besides in Phoenix it's like what, 158 degrees today?
    Yeah once its over 105 its just f'n hot to me. The longer Im here the less I can stand it. Anyway so as far as I can tell as cool as the foothills are the picture Im getting is smooth buff, wide trails with a ton of hikers. Sounds good for a pre-work workout but is there any good technical riding within reasonable driving distance?
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Idaho Delight

I grew up in north Idaho, went to Valley of the Sun for 3 years of college, been living in Boise since. Wife grew up in Chandler, AZ. We go back once a year and both agree it's a nice place to visit but that's where it ends. I sent you a private message with links to all the good information you might be looking for.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I lived in Phoenix for a few years. I much prefer Boise. More than 2 seasons and lots to do. Definitely more of a family town.
    Idaho

dblblack
    Apr 2012
    Once you get up to any serious vertical, the hikers and the majority of the riders get weeded out pretty quick. The upper trails in the Foothills get narrower and are more challenging. I like the Dry Creek ride for some great scenery and lots of technical on the downhill. You can ride to this from the city on mostly single track. I haven't lived in Phoenix, but i've spent a little time there and the really nice thing about Boise compared to that area is you really do get all four seasons, (although the snow doesn't accumulate much in the valley, you can see it all winter on the mountains around Boise).

mtbr member
    Douger, I grew up in IL as well. After getting out of that place, Phoenix was one of the places I called home for a while. I still have family in AZ, but dont know if I could live there (ok, maybe, but it wouldn't be phoenix, that's for sure) About the only things I miss are the rugged terrain, the month of March and the tamales I used to buy in Guadalupe next to the I-10 overpass. Lol!

I'm not going to lie to you, if you love trails like National and Holbert on South Mtn, you are going to go through some withdrawal in Boise...and as much of a joke as the town of Sedona has turned into, I still miss what IMO is maybe the best singletrack in the country-Flagstaff too! Beyond that, I doubt there is much you would ever miss about life in Phoenix.

There are some nice places around the country, but every time I travel I wonder how people can live in many other places and I come back to Boise and its like a dramatic step up in the quality of life.
    There is definitely the quality of life, and all the things going on, the clean city, low crime, small and easy to get around (although it has grown allot though in the 12 years I've been here. The arid climate and hot summers with plenty of sun are nice.

The only real technical offering in Boise is the Table Rock trails, which are fun and never crowded. Some of this will feel a little like the SW stuff. Trails like Mahalo, Eastside, Dry Cr, Shindig, Morning Star, while not technical, are WAY fun and will keep you happy. Those are all higher up on the Mtn offering shade and a break from the circus of the lower trails. The riding scene seems to get better every year here. More positive changes are happening. The biggest plus is probably the trail access, as well as a bike friendly town. Live on the east or north side of town and ride your bike out for dinner, store, the market, festivals etc. Then ride your mtn bike to the trail without dodging crazy traffic. As for having kids, this one is a no brainer, Boise is a great place to raise a family. I'm not the mayor, or I would offer you a money back guarantee...but I am pretty sure you would love it.
    Hey, is that a Huffy? That's a nice-lookin' bike, boy!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

The Boise Perfecta

I always like to shoot for a Boise Perfecta at least once a year. This includes any combo of "winter" sports (snow skiing/boarding/XC, etc) and "summer" sport (MTB, golfing, water skiing, etc) in one day. A trifecta is even more worthwhile & ambitious.

For example, April 13, 2012. Left my office ~2pm, went home, jumped on MTB and rode a great section of singletrack near my house for 1.5hrs. Headed home. Wife had babysitter lined-up and car loaded with snow skis/boards. Headed to Bogus and skied for 2 hours. Returned to town and enjoyed one of the best sandwiches in town- lamb grinder from Bar Gernika. Home by 11pm. It was a good day.

Phoenix to Boise-broken-horn2.jpg
    Phoenix to Boise-bogus.jpg

Name:  home_splash.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  32.2 KB

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Our kids live in the PHX area. Everytime we visit I always say " Why in the hell would anyone want to live here" Other than the best Elk hunting in the US and some incredible deer hunts north of the ditch..............I don't get it and they don't even hunt.
    The quality of life and all around living is so much better here. Traffic is a breeze except for Eagle Rd.
    We don't have illegals and drug runners marching through on a daily basis killing people. Violence/ major crime is pretty much non existant here.
    Sure we had the warmest temps I've seen since we moved here this week but overall the weather here is pretty nice. We hit 108 a couple times this week.

The Bike trails here are pretty awesome. I'm just a newbie MTB'er but I've been riding the trails and having a blast. Idaho isn't bad.

How much further ???
    I just saw a video on the Table Rock area trails. That is definitely more of what Im looking for. Looks like they would be nice intermediate level trails. Do you see mountain biking progressing in Idaho like in some other areas? Is there talk of Bogus Basin getting lift service? A possible future bike park the likes of AngleFire NM etc etc.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I was born and raised in Tempe and went to ASU for undergrad & grad school. My brother's in Flagstaff, parents are now in Sierra Vista, rest of the family is in the East Valley. My wife and I moved to Boise 6 years ago with our 3 young kids without knowing a single person here. I miss AZ, but I do not miss Phx. Phx just plain sucks (except having your own swimming pool). Moving here was one of the best choices we ever made. In fact, if you are into the outdoors other than just mtn biking, it is overwhelming with all the places to go and things to do (hiking, camping, backpacking, skiing, whitewater, fishing, hunting).

I was just back in AZ in May visiting family and riding South Mtn every other day and I thought "I miss this, but it's freakin 111F today -- and it's May." I was more than ready to come home to Idaho after two weeks. As someone else mentioned, you might miss the technical and year-round riding, but the trails here are still good and I love having 4 seasons now. I love being able to take the kids up for night skiing at Bogus after work in the winter and on summer weekends take them camping and fishing in a thousand different places. I'm an E.E. and one drawback is there's not nearly as much to fall back on here job-wise as in Phx, but you're probably aware of that. Hope that helps.

Other than the best Elk hunting in the US and some incredible deer hunts north of the ditch
    If you are ever lucky enough to draw those tags of course.

dblblack
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    I just saw a video on the Table Rock area trails. That is definitely more of what Im looking for. Looks like they would be nice intermediate level trails. Do you see mountain biking progressing in Idaho like in some other areas? Is there talk of Bogus Basin getting lift service? A possible future bike park the likes of AngleFire NM etc etc.
    Current Bogus Basin Management is convinced that once a year is enough for lift service: This year's BIG MOUNTAIN event is posted here.

Here is the link to the local Bike Park. Not sure how it compares to AngleFire, but it has great community support and a strong volunteer biking group that is improving on an on-going basis.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I live in Boise, but have a family vacatin home in Awatukee right on one of the trail heads for SoMo. South Mountain is rad for sure. I absolutely love going to get my technical fix and to be honest Boise doesn't have anything close to that kind of riding. There are bits and pieces of trails that remind me of National or some of the other great trails at SoMo. Boise is buffed out flowie single track with a ton of vertical if you want it. however even If I only looked at Mountain Biking I still would choose Boise over Pheonix. It's not even close. Though it may take you a while once you're here to find; ther is a ton more to ride (from town) then just about anywhere I've been. If you factor in the city, quality of life and other out door recreation Boise blows Pheonix away. As mentioned above not many places that you can ski, mountain bike and golf all in the same day. Probably one of the most unique things about this town is you can start your rides from a bar or restraint in the hart of down town. If you move here just try to live IN BOISE. You can rid to trails or downtown from North, norheast and southeast Boise. If you need a technical fix Twin Falls/Kimberly has some South Mountain type rocky tech. Its an hour and a half away.

mtbr member
    We move here from Phoenix about 7 years ago. If you are an outdoors type of family then you will love it here. I would compare it as a wierd mix between Prescott & Flag on a grander scale.
    When will you learn that I am always right sometimes?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hi Douger - I am a Chandler resident and have been riding all over the valley and to the North for the last year! I ride SOMO, Hawes, User Pass, Gold Canyon Sedona etc.

I have been working in Boise for the last four weeks and working my way across the foothills sampling the trails and while I am enjoying the trails for a workout with more elev gain than I normally like to ride. I would be bored if I lived here and wanted to continue my riding especially if I wanted to ride year round. I did enjoy riding Bogus Basin and plan to go up there again this week and the Table Rock area is fun. Other trails I have come across are Hulls Gulch and I am sure there are some that I have not made around to yet!

The people have been nice here and having the trails more or less centralized is great compared to the trails around the PHX area all over the metro outskirts. I like riding year round so PHX suits me and I did draw one of those elusive ELK TAGS for the Flagstaff area in December.

Planning to go to Avimor this Saturday for a Demo Day extravaganza they are having up there with some trail rides.