mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Opinion on a new Bike rack...

Looking for a new rack and considering the Yakima Hookup or Sportworks/Thule T2. Anybody use either of these racks? What would you recommend?

Contagious Xian

Thule T2 - a solid choice

I bought this about a year ago (when it was still Sportworks) for my first trip to Moab and I love it. I bought the necessaries to haul 4 bikes and the riser hitch bar to make sure I had enough ground clearance. The anti-wobble bolt and threaded locking hitch pin make it solid. Quick load/unload and it looks killer too. It folds up and near the vehicle when not in use and also drops down with the pull of a pin if you have van or truck w/sheel and you need to access the rear of the vehicle.

www.rackoutfitters.com had the best prices and their customer service was great.
    Last edited by Bombin4X; 03-06-2006 at 09:04 AM.

Barneys Unite!

I have a very nice Thule . . .

that I need to get rid of because my new bike has cables under the top tube.

Pretty much like this -

http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/prod...id=8&sku=996XT

But mine also has the third swing-arm at the bottom for strapping your bike down tight.

About two years old.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    I second the Sportworks. I've used 2 different models. Newest model is easiest to use and can accomodate any type of bike.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Sportsworks

Can't say enough good things about the Sportsworks rack. It is quick and easy to use so you can get to that post ride beverage a little faster.

Unfortunately, the price may force you to drink cheap beer for a while. But then again, what is wrong with drinking $10 a case PBRs!

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    I just lay my bike on the roof of the Vista Cruiser and use some bungee chords to attached it to the windows. I also bungee down a couple of styrofoam coolers so I can fit all the kids in back while I pull the bass fishing boat on the trailer.

And once again ceasing to be facetious you might look at the product reviews: http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/bike_rack/
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Thule

Quote Originally Posted by jimi1114
    Looking for a new rack and considering the Yakima Hookup or Sportworks/Thule T2. Anybody use either of these racks? What would you recommend?
    Very good rack and the retention mechanism for your fork dropouts is solid and really easy to use. The rack looks good too

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    the nice thing about the sportworks hitch rack....it accommodates any shape frame easily since holds your bike by the wheels and not the frame. It is especially nice for FS frames and DH bikes.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

Contagious Xian

Even a dingo can load bikes easily

A little real-world application, CBro in his fashionable garb (nothing new) next to the amber alert van before our first trip up to Brundage last summer. Agree with above, can carry up to 160lbs of bikes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2004

Yeah

Quote Originally Posted by Bombin4X
    A little real-world application, CBro in his fashionable garb (nothing new) next to the amber alert van before our first trip up to Brundage last summer. Agree with above, can carry up to 160lbs of bikes.
    I think he was commenting on hook ups and not a roof rack.
    Oh well, my good plug for Thule anyway!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Thanks..

for all the feedback. I purchased the Thule T2 today. This seems to be the overwhelming rack of choice out there. Bought it at agees.com for $324 (no charge for shipping) if anyone else is looking.