mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Once again, Montana is the center of the universe

There was a forest plan/travel plan comment period for an area near Eureka, MT. Some claim it could have the best quality trails in the state. Here is a link to the article in the Flathead Beacon.

http://www.flatheadbeacon.com/articl..._access/13101/
    I don't know what trail we're on, but at least it's getting dark

mtbr member
    I ride the trails by Dickey Lake every year. There are 3 routes down from the Mt Marston Lookout. Laughing Water is probably the best DH in the area.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Mike Vandeman you are ridiculous.

It is a BIG mistake and a BAD precedent to compromise Wilderness for the benefit of mountain bikers. Mountain bikers are a tiny minority of the recreation community, and every one of them is capable of walking! ...

Bicycles should not be allowed in any natural area. They are inanimate objects and have no rights. There is also no right to mountain bike. That was settled in federal court in 1994: http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande/mtb10 . Itís dishonest of mountain bikers to say that they donít have access to trails closed to bikes. They have EXACTLY the same access as everyone elseóON FOOT! Why isnít that good enough for mountain bikers? They are all capable of walkingÖ.

You go take a f'ing walk. Quit spouting off, you have thoroughly annoyed me today. It'll be a sad day if all of us bikers lose vast amounts of wonderful trails we've been riding for years because of close minded self proclaimed savants like this tool and stupid bureaucratic bs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    I see MV is still the same.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Sounds like a spoiled brat who's daddy owns the sandbox.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Mike V. has been spouting the same crud for quite some time now. He always references his own work as proof of his opinions and tries to get the mtn bikers riled up. Read the wiki link about him, very informative. If you feel compelled to respond to him, point out that his references are articles he has written and make sure to cleverly call him a mental midget. I have played with him in a couple comment wars and got him to leave. Once you know his game, it is pretty amusing really. What he wants is brash comments that reinforce negative stereotypes about mtn bikers that he then quotes in other forums to back up his opinions. Logic is wasted on him but if you get the crowd on your side, he will leave.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    What actually is tragic here is that Mike effectively won by preventing communication on the first day of the article.

Todd Tanner, who at one time was the US downhill champ, owns Grave Creek Cabins. He has a bike guiding permit on the forest there, and claims that due to weather patterns and a rocky soil type, this area may have the best combination of trails and biking potential in Montana. That is quite a claim, but worth checking out, especially if one were going to the Flathead or Fernie areas.

The way I see it, there is room for wilderness, horses, hiking and biking without making the gross restrictions that are in the Galton plan. It is pretty odd that in this case the FS has snowmobiling in a number of places that they restrict bikes from. Hopefully the public comments will make a difference.
    I don't know what trail we're on, but at least it's getting dark