mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Old Dude on Idaho/Montana trip

Only 55 so I guess I'm just relatively old! Hope I didn't wait to long to post this up but I just got serious about checking out some trails for this trip. My wife and I are pulling our trailer mostly through Idaho and a few nights in Missoula starting Monday. We live in SoCal and anxiously look forward to getting the heck outta here each summer!

I'll just tell ya where and when I'm staying and ask for any trail info you can offer. If anybody wants to join me for a ride that would be great too! I am in decent shape and though I climb slowly, I'll always get to the top eventually and descend quickly though with due caution. I ride a Trek EX9 and don't mind a little chunk but I'm not into major drops, jumps and DH features where the tires leave the ground! I can take off well but landing is the problem!

Here's where I'll be and what I plan to ride. Much appreciation for any tidbits of info you can send my way!

6/24-27 Boise Area; Bogus Basin (I live in a high desert so I gotta go to the mountains) East Side & Freddies stack loop, Deer Point-Elk Meadows

6/28-30 McCall; Is Brundage worth checking out? They're offering free lift rides on the 28th for a can of food! Loon Lake too.

7/2-3 Cour d 'Alene; Canfield Mountain. What's the easiest climb to the top and best trails down?

7/6-8 Missoula; Up Stuart Peak to the wilderness boundary, down Curry Gulch, Up Spring Gulch, down Wallman. Is the Montana Snowbowl any good and is it really only $10 for an all-day lift ticket?

Any info on these rides, good bike shops, maps and places to eat will be much appreciated! Sorry I didn't give you much time to respond but I'm a procrastinator! PM me this weekend if any of you want to ride with me 'cuz I'm a technological cave man! No smart phone, no laptop, no internet once we leave on Monday! Thanks for your time spent reading this!

mtbr member
    snowbowl, u can ride up access rd for free, then down singletrack, great ride, check the missula biking club page for a map, watch for bears, got charged by a sow black bear with cubs two years ago, during weekdays i have been only rider last three years, didnt even know they did lift access.
    great riding around Stanley and Ketchum Id, but I havent ridden Mcall or Boise

jalepenio jimenez
    in the Boise area (including bogus basin ski area,) this should get you started:

Ridge to Rivers - City of Boise

forecast for next week: mon, tues, wed mid 70"s to mid 80"s, thursday mid 90's, and 100 by Friday.
    I dig, chop, strangle, yank, stomp, annihilate, mutilate, eradicate, and FU goatheads

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    I might be able to go for a ride on 7/2 or 7/3 when your in CDA. PM me.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Thanks for the replies people! Maybe I should get some bear spray! Seen a few around here but not that close! I got the Bogus Basin (shafer butte) map from that site. It looks pretty easy to follow.

Visicypher, thanks for the possible ride! I'll pm you in the morning.

26er
    You might enjoy eagles nest more than loon lake.
    Live to ride!

Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

mtbr member
    For the McCall area, pick up a copy of the Adventure Map. Eagle's Nest is just 10 mins off Hwy 55 on Warm Lake Road and is a perfect stop between Boise and McCall. Then, a free can of food in order to ride Elk Trail at Brundage is too good of a deal to pass up. You could fit in another ride before or after if it doesn't float your boat. I'd probably throw in Bear Basin or Jug Mountain Ranch on the same day. Loon Lake needs at least a 1/2 day and is better if you add a soak at Burgdorf Hot Springs.