Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

For Nick -

1K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  drtyride 
#1 · (Edited)
Nick was amongst friends and fellow riders, and help was close, but not everybody is that lucky. So I think a rider ID program, maybe administered through SWIMBA, another organiztion, or just by the riding/mtbr community, in Nick's honor, is fitting. Tied in with the ID card, SWIMBA might assist in donations to the Raganit family by adding having their webmaster add in a field in their online and printed sign up/renewal forms where new/renewing members can have the opton to contribute an extra amount to Nick's memorial fund if they choose. (SWIMBA would transfer any contributions to the existing US Bank memorial fund or directly to Nick's family).

Can someone from SWIMBA please step up and either approve this now, if possible, get this on the agenda for board vote at the next meeting, or let us know if it cannot be done through that organization? Maybe I can come up with free printing and lamination for these. I've gotten free stuff before for Blue Cross of Idaho's Blue Cruise - Wheels for Wellness. I'll probably ask Brett, our resident graphics professional if he has the time to take my crappy Photoshop attempt and produce a cool design for printing and lamination. Brett, with due respect to your time man.

Harley or someone on board, can you rock this please? Please let me know. I'll be back on the board a week from next Tuesday. You can email me at my Yahoo account. I'll do any footwork required to help make it happen. Also, the other organization I am a member of, SHARE (www.sharemtb.com), has a similar card, in memory of a biker, and I've emailed them to see if they can provide assistance, etc to SWIMBA or any of us that can organize and make this happen. I'm thinking we might be able to piggyback on their stuff.

My awesome Photoshop skills, rough idea for the front and back of a card:

Front - ID & Medical Information.
Back - memorial text, SWIMBA's URL (needs to be centered), would go on if they sponsor this. Design: Some cool blend of green and browns, maybe or better yet, Yeti orange! :) SWIMBA logo might go on there - maybe as a background watermark or printed vertically on one end? I'm sure that Brett can rock this into something awesome looking!

If the place exists, Nick is there for sure, grinning wide on flowing singletrack.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
lightbulb!

i think this is a great idea daryl! i always carry my drivers license and cell phone with me when i ride. i joke that its to identify the body! :thumbsup: this type of card would be nice because you could have insurance, allergies, hospital preference, d.n.r. etc info on it. i'm sure emergency personel would love to see this on people as well. i would really like to have one of these cards for all my packs.

#6 ·
Ditto.... where do I sign up? Maybe make it capable of hooking to a camelback with a carabiner or something like that? It would make it more accessable to EMT's than having to dig through pockets or in to a pack. Just my $.02.

#7 · (Edited)
Dutchboy said:
Ditto.... where do I sign up? Maybe make it capable of hooking to a camelback with a carabiner or something like that? It would make it more accessable to EMT's than having to dig through pockets or in to a pack. Just my $.02.
I was explaining this very thing to 98 - I've made some laminated name badges with the metal clip and thought something like this would be a cheap (I've already got a couple I could use) solution, putting everything above, including blood type, emergency contact info, etc.)
EDIT: I just made one in about 5 minutes - one side has my info, the other a copy of my insurance card. It's got a metal clip so I can move it from one hydration pack to another.

#9 ·
I used DAN Tags for years for SCUBA Diving. They are very tough and have all the info. needed for EMTs. We could use an organization like DAN. As far as I know none exist for MTBing.
Those look pretty durable. They should be able to withstand a bit of trail abuse put to them. How would they stand up to a bit of summer sun beating down on them? Would the print fade?

#10 ·
I spoke with Harley, who recommended I present the idea to Ted Tokomoto for board consideration next SWIMBA meeting. I emailed him this morning. I also briefly touched base with Ian who said he will look at the idea. I am hoping SWIMBA sponsors this, as I feel it will prove good all the way around.

#11 ·
FYI

Emergency Medical Personnel are trained to look for jewelry or pendants displaying the Caduceus logo, the Universal Medical Alert symbol.

So if you are going to make something up, I'd go with a bracelet or necklace with a Caduceus logo, as first responders are trained to look for those first.

I highly recommend a med ID bracelet or necklace, if you have a pre-existing condition. The bracelets look like this:

http://www.medids.com/order.html

#12 ·
BOOM! Visicypher brings BANK!

My mom used to sew my name in my jacket. Once I lost my jacket and I had no idea who I was. I wandered around Riverside for several days until I was befriended by an ex-pro wrestler who owned a hardware store. He gave me $15 and drove me to Ontario where I hopped a freight to Chicago. It was there that I made boocoo bucks in hog futures.

Is someone trying to grow a mullet?

#13 ·
It's just that I didn't think everyone would want to wear one of those. I guess the question seems to be how prominent and easy it is for EMT's, etc to find some information - one would think they would search for it in pockets of an Camelbak or other item but who knows. Myself, I have an existing card from another mtb organzation, and like the one proposed; I I keep it the small inner pocket and I'm happy with that. To be honest, I would prefer not to wear any jewelry type id and probably never would, nor would I hang something from my Camelbak - but that is just me. If people have specific conditions that need to be made prominent, they can purchase one of those, and I agree and recommend it - but this project, as proposed has to do simply with an ID card with all that infomration (medical, etc), some text on the back about the memorial, Nick, swimba, etc - and hopefully a tie in with SWIMBAs member/renewing member registration thanks

Finally, let's not vibe anything bad to happen to anyone, let's ride hard and safe whether xc, dh, freeride, etc. I wish everybody good safe rides!!!!

#15 ·
Visicypher said:
FYI

Emergency Medical Personnel are trained to look for jewelry or pendants displaying the Caduceus logo, the Universal Medical Alert symbol.

So if you are going to make something up, I'd go with a bracelet or necklace with a Caduceus logo, as first responders are trained to look for those first.

I highly recommend a med ID bracelet or necklace, if you have a pre-existing condition. The bracelets look like this:

http://www.medids.com/order.html
Good idea Al, I'll be putting the symbol of The Rod of Asclepius on my homemade medical tag...

#16 ·
Straw Poll

Bombin4X said:
Good idea Al, I'll be putting the symbol of The Rod of Asclepius on my homemade medical tag...
Pick your Greek God

Asclepius - medicine and healing

Hermes - everything else, most importantly Sports!

Leave it to the Army to get it wrong - I'm onboard with turning this thing around lets go for a bad ass single snake, kind of reminds me of single track.

Attachments

#17 ·
Crash_Burn said:
Pick your Greek God

Asclepius - medicine and healing

Hermes - everything else, most importantly Sports!

Leave it to the Army to get it wrong - I'm onboard with turning this thing around lets go for a bad ass single snake, kind of reminds me of single track.
Sorry I am lame to even have brought it up! I read wikipedia as well!
Bret come join us tonight!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.