Thread: New Wheelset

mtbr member

New Wheelset

just wanted to get some opinions from the crew on here. unfortunately, i ruined my front wheel this weekend. it's a crossmax xl. so, no more system wheelsets for me. i just want a traditional wheelset. figure i can get a complete wheelset for the price of a new front wheel...and rebuilding the crossmax around the hub is an option, but i think that will be pricey too...

so, i wanted a ust rim. and something that is strong enough to hold up over time and stay tru., etc...i.e. a wheelset that isn't gonna give me problems..

anybody riding the mavic xm 819 disc rim? any problems running them tubeless? ...just want to know how they perform...

on a budget..so i was thinking of xt disc hubs...DB spokes with brass nipples...guess that's it..

if anyone has an opinion on these rims or hub alternatives, please comment.

thanks in advance..
    Last edited by garnetspur; 03-01-2006 at 01:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Give Brian a call........

I've had Brian (Brian's Pro Bike Services) build three wheelsets for me.....never had a problem with one of his wheels.

He's a Mavic dealer and he builds more than 500 wheels a year these days.....

939-1705

mtbr member

thanks mark

thanks mark...you're the second person to tell me to see brian. i'll give him a call.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by garnetspur
    just wanted to get some opinions from the crew on here. unfortunately, i ruined my front wheel this weekend. it's a crossmax xl. so, no more system wheelsets for me. i just want a traditional wheelset. figure i can get a complete wheelset for the price of a new front wheel...and rebuilding the crossmax around the hub is an option, but i think that will be pricey too...

so, i wanted a ust rim. and something that is strong enough to hold up over time and stay tru., etc...i.e. a wheelset that isn't gonna give me problems..

anybody riding the mavic xm 819 disc rim? any problems running them tubeless? ...just want to know how they perform...

on a budget..so i was thinking of xt disc hubs...straight 14g spokes with brass nipples...guess that's it..

thanks in advance..
    The mavix XM 819 idsc rim is the same extrusion as your Crossmax XL with different inserts for the spokes and a different number of spokes. This is the only true separate UST rim you can buy and will give you the most reliable, easy to use UST system you can get.

XT hubs are great, other than the weight. You could buy a HOPE XC frot hub from Jenson for only a few dollars more that the XT and it would be much lighter weight.

Also, DB 2.0-1.8-2.0 (14-15-14) spokes would be better and most wheel builders will charge the same price for these as straight 14 gauge.
    There is no added value to my participation - in fact, just more confusion.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    If you destroyed a crossmax xl you might want to check out the 823 hoop. Been using an xt hub for quite a while with no problems.

Hoops - Big and Small

CrossMax XL's

just wanted to get some opinions from the crew on here. unfortunately, i ruined my front wheel this weekend. it's a crossmax xl. so, no more system wheelsets for me. i just want a traditional wheelset...
    Care to share your experiences how you ruined your front wheel? I've been looking at getting a pair of XL's for a Pike setup, maybe you can steer me away from a system wheelset.

I've been using the 819's w/XT hubs for two years - When I first put on the wheelset I could instantly feel a difference, they just feel solid, helped the handling of my bike.

I've used them tubed only - I can't run tire pressure lower than 45 psi, so I've always gone for the budget (non UST) tire. I usually get Vert Pro's or Mutano's.

I may go with the BPB build also, let us know how your build goes and pics are always appreciated!

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Garnet (Carey) - go see Brian. He can rebuild your XLs. It should save you some $$$ as you won't need to buy a new hub. Also, he is a Vizsla nut. I think he has 3 or 4 right now. His newest V puppy comes from the same litter as my puppy. He is super picky about V bloodlines and very proud of his dogs, but then again who wouldn't be.

Oh...smokin39 is right. The 823 is beefy. It is more all mountain/freeride. If you don't mind the weight penalty, it would work well for those situations. Still though, talk to Brian.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    crash. i never had any trouble with the crossmax xl's. i weigh in at 185 el-beez and they've always felt stable for me. never out of tru or anything.

i just had a stupid wipe out coming down corral's heading towards bobs trail. don't know how it happened, but i escaped with a couple nice strawberries and some bruises. not too bad really. so, i wasn't jumping or dropping or anything. i'm a puzz. just cruising pretty fast down the trail and lost it. but, i think my front rim is toast.

i'm not here to steer you away from the system wheelset or the crossmax xls. i think the crossmax xl is an awesome wheel and they are bomber for xc riding. like i said, no problems whatsoever in 3 years on them.

i just can't drop the money on the system...just want a budget wheelset that can be easily built back up. just a simple, universal, traditional wheelset.

a new complete crossmax xl wheel would be around 300 bucks....to rebuild it around my hub, it would be around 200 bucks or so. so, i'm thinking of just getting the less flashy, but serviceable xt/819 setup.

if you have the cash. i say get them if you want them. but, for the same amount of money, i'd get a chris king/819 wheel...i think...that's my only opinion i would throw out there.

also, i may have a rear crossmax xl for sale. maybe a front crossmax hub too. i'm meeting with brian today to let him look at the front wheel. it's wasted, i know, but i'll let him look at it and then check out my options from there.

oh yeah...crash...they have that MP3 program at mavic...sounds like a good "replacement" plan...no matter what you do to the wheel, mavic will replace it....that's a pretty cool deal...don't know how much it cost..anybody know?

mtbr member
    cool. maybe i'll bring my dogs over there then. always cool to see a bunch of vizsla's runnin' around.

they are a special breed of dog.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    oh yeah...crash...they have that MP3 program at mavic...sounds like a good "replacement" plan...no matter what you do to the wheel, mavic will replace it....that's a pretty cool deal...don't know how much it cost..anybody know?
    I think it's about 10 banana skins for the MP3 enrollment. The catch is that you have to buy a set (front and rear) at the same time to be eligible. At least that's how it worked about year ago.

About the 819 - another thumbs up from me - I've got a rear 819 UST laced to a Surly hub that's as stable as anything I've ridden. Run Conti Verts and Gravitys (both UST) at 21 lbs. I had an 819 laced to an ENO hub before that.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

on a budget..so i was thinking of xt disc hubs...straight 14g spokes with brass nipples...guess that's it..

thanks in advance..
    GS - Before you pull the trigger on the 819s, consider the DT Swiss 4.1d or 5.1d. I've never heard bad comments about either, and I hear that the DT rim strip for the 4.1d works as well for a tubeless conversion as the 819's. The 5.1d is stouter and beefier than the 4.1d, and apparently the rim strips for those are coming out any day now. As for hubs, I've had good and bad experiences with XT disc hubs. The first set I had was pretty bomber, but the most recent set I bought seems to get loose pretty easy. Plus, they're heavy. I'd put in another vote for the Hope XC hubs over the Shimano XT. Also, another vote for 14/15 double butted spokes over 14's.

mtbr member

Met up with Brian

very cool guy. super nice. i brought my dogs over, so there were 6 vizslas running around.

Visicypher - his new pup "Ricky" was tearing them all up.

so, anyway, he's rebuilding my xl for me for a very reasonable...actually a killer deal.

the crossmax spokes are on a little backorder from mavic, so it's gonna take a little waiting to get the parts. but, it should be as good as new, once he rebuilds it. so, in the meantime, i would be out a front, disc compatible, tubeless wheel. i'd have to tune up the old ibis (what a pity, right?) unless i wanted to switch a few things around to my IF. no big deal. probably not a lot of riding to be had in the next couple weeks after this weekend's rain.

but, he made me take a loner wheel from him. king laced to an 819 ust rim. that's service! so, my bike is ready to go, just like that.

i'm definately going to have him build a wheelset for my wife when she says it's cool to buy it for her. of course, i don't have my rebuilt wheel back from him yet...but from the recommendations of others, the quality of the rebuild is the least of my worries. he's got my business from here on out.

so...MarkV, Visicypher, the guy i talked with on the trail when walking out (whoever you are) and others..thanks for the advice to talk to brian.
    Last edited by garnetspur; 03-01-2006 at 05:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Brian's great, I have six wheel sets he has built up for me, A + work and always fair.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

No worries.........

...but from the recommendations of others, the quality of the rebuild is the least of my worries. he's got my business from here on out.

so...MarkV, Visicypher, the guy i talked with on the trail when walking out (whoever you are) and others..thanks for the advice to talk to brian.
    Brian is more of a friend than just the best bike mechanic in the valley......

A number of folks I ride with are mechanics/former bike mechanics who can build a bike from scratch.....and they still have Brian build their wheels......he's a wheelbuilding god.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Markv
    Brian is more of a friend than just the best bike mechanic in the valley......

A number of folks I ride with are mechanics/former bike mechanics who can build a bike from scratch.....and they still have Brian build their wheels......he's a wheelbuilding god.
    Anyone remember when Brian worked at the shop in the Glenwood shopping center next to Albertsons? Boise Cycle or something. He built my road wheels from there, and the guy who bought my bike says they are still going strong. He'll even give you his opinion on builds whether he's building the hoops or not. Great guy! And good dogs.

Al is the name. My two Vs are Ty and Theia. Brian and I talk about dogs a lot. I'll see him on Sunday.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher
    My two Vs are Ty and Theia.
    What is it with the Viszla fetish on this board? One of my buddies has two of them and they are the most ridiculously hyper, out of control, freakishly dumb dogs I've ever known. One of them has a "control" problem and pi$$es all over the place whenever he gets excited. Just what I want - an overexcitable breed of dog that pi$$es everywhere. I'll stick with my ultra-mellow basset hound. Not the best trail dog, but he can slobber and spackle with the best of them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    EP...it's viZsla....just so you know.

they're just great dogs. as are basset hounds. what kind of dog is the other one in the background...another basset?

as for vizslas being out of control, hyper...yeah..but in more control than you think.

not dumb at all.

and the "control" problem sounds more like a cocker spanial (or similar) than a vizsla.

i'm actually surprised at the number of people that own vizslas in boise. and out west for that matter. and the number of people that know what the breed is called is surprising too...even if they do mispronounce it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    EP...it's viZsla....just so you know.

they're just great dogs. as are basset hounds. what kind of dog is the other one in the background...another basset?

as for vizslas being out of control, hyper...yeah..but in more control than you think.

not dumb at all.

and the "control" problem sounds more like a cocker spanial (or similar) than a vizsla.

i'm actually surprised at the number of people that own vizslas in boise. and out west for that matter. and the number of people that know what the breed is called is surprising too...even if they do mispronounce it.
    Brian's dog are always in control when I'm there. The nose nudging is the most they do. So cute!

Geoff - sounds like those that male V has an issue, but I've seen other breeds mark every vertical object in sight. Upbringing also factors in the loose bladder/excitement issue. As for dumb, that is all in the breeding...

My male is super mellow. Friends have said he is mellow by any breed's standards. My previous V could ride in a pack without getting in the way. On the downhill, she could do pulls at nearly 30mph for a mile plus.

As for the spacke related content (SRC), grape leaves are a great way to turn your favorite canine into a spackle gun.