Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Look out!

New trails coming to Bogus Basin

Ridge to Rivers receives grant to build 7-mile trail around Bogus Basin

Ridge to Rivers received a $65,000 grant from the Non-motorized Recreational Trails Program Fund to construct a 7-mile trail that will circumnavigate the Bogus Basin Ski Area.

The grant will be matched with additional funding from Ridge to Rivers, the Southwest Idaho Mountain Bike Association, Bogus Basin, the Boise National Forest and the following Treasure Valley Retailers: World Cycle, Shu’s Idaho Running Company, Ken’s Bicycles, The Pulse Running and Fitness, Reed Cycles, Bandanna Running, Joyride Cycles, Eastside Cycles, George’s Cycles and Fitness and Bob’s Cycles.

“This trail will be a great addition to the Ridge to Rivers system. It has been designed with bikes in mind, though it will be equally fun and challenging for hiking and trail running,” said David Gordon, Ridge to Rivers Trails Coordinator.

The trail was identified as a future route in the 2006 Shafer Butte Trails Plan that was developed collaboratively in by Ridge to Rivers, the Boise National Forest, Bogus Basin Recreational Association, the National Park Service and the Southwest Idaho Mountain Bike Association. Construction is planned to take place during the summer of 2013. See a map of the area.

Ridge to Rivers is a collaborative effort of local, state and federal partners that work together to maintain trails and open space in the Boise Foothills. Funding for the program comes from the City of Boise, Bureau of Land Management, Boise National Forest, and Ada County. Ridge to Rivers currently maintains 139 miles of trails in the Boise Foothills.

For information, call David Gordon at 208-493-2531 or email him at dgordon@cityofboise.org.
    Ride the bike.

mtnjam
    Map:
    http://www.ridgetorivers.org/media/4...l_overview.pdf

There has to be a .kmz file somewhere of this so I can check it out on Google Earth for some elevation profile.
    Just ride down there and jump off something for crying out loud...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    looks sweet!
    It's all downhill from here.
    (There's a **** of a lot of climbing left.)

mtbr member
    Am I the only one having a tough time figure out where it goes? My guess is one end is at pioneer lodge, the other is the radio towers by the top of deer point chair. From pioneer, it seems to wind its way up and across the face. Cant tell if it ties into existing face trail. Then, seems to dip over toward Garnet peak (maybe Mahalo 2?) and then winds down toward bogus road. Kind of dead ends by the chair 1 radio towers. Not sure what it ties into.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Here's a quick kmz digitized from the map. Obviously it's not very precise, as I was limited by the resolution of the map. In other words, don't worry about the jagged smaller dips and rises, but the overall profile should be pretty accurate. The elevation profile runs clockwise from just above Pioneer Lodge to (I think) the switchback on Deer Point trail. It should serve till someone posts an official version.

EDIT: should read clockwise, not counter-clockwise
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New trails coming to Bogus Basin-bogusloop.jpg  

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Crayfish McCorduroy; 10-13-2012 at 08:23 AM. Reason: CLOCKWISE (not counter)

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Around The Mountain trail

The trail actually starts off the switch back in the trees on Deer Point trail and then climbs up and across to the Ridge Rd. Then it goes up and down around the back of Bogus Basin coming out around the Upper lodge. SWIMBA thought this was a much needed trail and will be providing $5,000 in matching funds to pay for the construction of this trail. Just more of your membership dollars going to work for you. If you like trails and you live in the Treasure Valley you should be a SWIMBA member!

David Gordon was kind enough to send me a kmz file so we (SWIMBA) could determine where the the around the mountain trail was in relation to our proposed trail route for Mahalo II. I have attached a file showing both trails. As you can see the trail gets us close to Mahalo trail but would require some trail work to connect down to Mahalo. SWIMBA has been working on getting this trail approved for the past several years. Let's hope the Around the Mountain trail will be the first step in getting a connection to Mahalo.

If you are interested in the plan that is mentioned on the Ridges to Rivers website about the Shaffer Butte Plan, it's availabe on SWIMBA's website (Our Mission | SWIMBA – Southwest Idaho Mountain Biking Association) under "trails" and click on documents.

Hope your all enjoying the fall colors and trail conditions.

Mike e.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New trails coming to Bogus Basin-around_the_mountain_mahaloii.jpg  

dblblack
    Apr 2012
    Yeah, based on the google earth view above, this should be a pretty cool ride. It looks like it starts at Pioneer Lodge, follows the Sumgler ski run north, cuts across the Chair 3 ski runs about mid way, it looks like it aims for the saddle between Shaffer and Mores, then follows close to a ski cat track that goes thru the Triangle and into the Pine Creek area, (should be some cool terrain in there with creeks and gullies). Then hits the transition from Upper to Lower Nugget and goes out of the ski area boundary below the Nugget cat track. From there it hits another saddle between Clear Creek and Dry creek. The ride across the upper Dry Creek basin will also provide some "don't go off the downhill side" terrain.
    By gettin close to the Mahalo trail, it is getting almost to the point of being able to ride single track from Camelsback park in the city, to the top of Bogus Basin. Sweeeet.

jalepenio jimenez
    to see where it is on a usgs topo map, look for the 6600-6700 foot contour and follow it around the mountain...that is pretty much the trail. starts at upper lodge @ 6750 feet. ends at switchback a mile up Deer Point trail @6500 feet.
    should be easy connecting to Mahalo somewhere in the Clear creek watershed.
    I dig, chop, strangle, yank, stomp, annihilate, mutilate, eradicate, and FU goatheads

mtnjam
    BIZUMP!...looking forward to seeing this trail started.

Plenty of bare ground on Pine Creek now, especially the south facing slopes. Would guess, just waiting for ground to dry out a little and access to become available to get in there to work.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Bumping this back up. I have seen that some people are riding parts of this now. Does anyone know which parts are rideable and any other info on this?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Some more info on the Ridge To Rivers Facebook page...scroll down to the June 7 posts.

https://www.facebook.com/boisefoothillstrailconditions

jalepenio jimenez
    a week ago the trail was complete from Deer Point trail, across 275 and the head of Dry creek, across 275 again and a mile and 1/2 into N fork of Clear creek heading for the Nugget cat track, where they thought they would be by the end of last week/beginning of this week.
    sweet ride. so far it's all ridable, right up to the equipment working the trail.
    I dig, chop, strangle, yank, stomp, annihilate, mutilate, eradicate, and FU goatheads

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Where on Deer Point trail does it start?

mtbr member
    About half way up the Deer Point Trail on the N. W. switch back. Did it Sunday-About one hour out and one hour back from the parking lot to the equipment at trail end...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Rode the trail tonight, they are making great progress and I had a super good time on it. There are some fantastic berm sections and the views are amazing. Such a great addition to the network up there and hope the building never stops as the potential is incredible. Seriously good time on the bike and can't wait for its completion. Here is what they have so far.

New trails coming to Bogus Basin-around-mountain.jpg

Related note, anybody up for doing some trimming on Morningstar? Looking to organize a group as if the same builders that are making the new trail are responsible for maintenance then I would rather they keep building and let some volunteers trim back the vegetation. We came down that tonight and it is getting pretty hairy in spots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New trails coming to Bogus Basin-around-mountain.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2011

Awesome trail, awesome views

New trails coming to Bogus Basin-img_0847.jpgNew trails coming to Bogus Basin-img_0850.jpg

Trying to post some photos from my maiden voyage on Around the Mountain today. Hopefully it works.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Bermy Goodness

New trails coming to Bogus Basin-img_0840.jpg

This is one of a series of berms on the backside -- there's also a handful right near the connection with Deer Point.

mtbr member

Any new beta?

We are thinking about making one last trip up to Bogus this weekend and are thinking about exploring the new trail.

Does anyboyd know if it is complete? I thought that I had heard at one point that it was close, but not finished.

Does anybody have a better map? I have looked at some of the available links and it doesn't seem to show things very well.

Is it best to start at the lower lodge and take it in a clockwise direction?
    Does it actually hook up to Maholo or do you just have to ride the ridge road down a bit to loop it in as well, then return back to the original trail?

Thanks in advance.
    BoiseBoy

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I don't think it's done yet; it doesn't connect clockwise. For that reason, it's better to start from the lodge and go counterclockwise (up Deer Point) and then just take the new trail until it ends. You can make it a loop by climbing the access road (not sure which one it is) up to the beginning of Elk Meadows, then taking Elk Meadows around the backside, evenutally connecting with Tempest/Face.

What's on your plate?
    Jan 2004
    Dave G. at Ridge to Rivers reported yesterday that ATM will be complete "in the next 10 - 14 days."

mtnjam
    The trail is completely cut in all the way around Superior (Chair 3) side. The mini ex is still parked under Pine Creek (Chair 6) as is a box of tools on the side of Lightning. There are a couple of parts of the trail that are swampy near Superior, but it looks like those are going to get armored. Watch out for the phone/power wire that crosses and parallells the trail near the berms near Superior, it's on the ground, but kinda sketched me out at the moment I saw it. The trail should be good to ride either way, CW or CCW.

Wow, there is some huge alder brush under Superior that needs to go in a bad way. Not really sure why Bogus is using the brush cutter to mow the runs...just a side note.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ryman View Post
    The trail is completely cut in all the way around Superior (Chair 3) side. The mini ex is still parked under Pine Creek (Chair 6) as is a box of tools on the side of Lightning. There are a couple of parts of the trail that are swampy near Superior, but it looks like those are going to get armored. Watch out for the phone/power wire that crosses and parallells the trail near the berms near Superior, it's on the ground, but kinda sketched me out at the moment I saw it. The trail should be good to ride either way, CW or CCW.

Wow, there is some huge alder brush under Superior that needs to go in a bad way. Not really sure why Bogus is using the brush cutter to mow the runs...just a side note.
    We rode the whole loop today, awesome ride other than being a little bumpy on the newer sections I would say it is done. Hope to ride it a couple of more times before the snow starts flying.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New trails coming to Bogus Basin-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Does anyone have a current trail profile (miles, elevation gain) for the new trail? Or better yet a .GPX file?

mtbr member
    For those that have done it, do you recommend starting at deer point and going counter clockwise, or starting high and going clockwise?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast