Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

New singletrack trail in Boise foothills - Shane's to Reserve

This morning, a group of about 30 of us cut a new 1 mile long singletrack that connects the bottom of Shane's loop to the top of the Military Reserve. This new trail goes across a parcel of land between Shane's and the Reserve that was recently purchased by the City as part of the foothills initiative. At the bottom of Shane's loop, take the old doubletrack on the other side of the fence where it has always said "Not a bike trail" (it is now!) to a newly cut singletrack that takes off to the right. The singletrack takes you to another doubletrack that will take you right to the top of the reserve. This should make Shane's Loop a lot more accessable - no longer will you have to ride up Rocky Canyon road to get there (or back from there). Enjoy!!!

Hi!!!
    Thanks guys!!! I'll be helping out on this trail on 10/16...CAN'T WAIT!!!

Just rode Shane's Last night....

Fort Boise --> Shaw Mtn. ---> Rocky Canyon --> Shane's (still can't get that damn start! ) and then dropped down onto Curlew ---> Mtn. Cove Rd. --> up to Central Ridge --> Freestone --> back to Fort Boise. FUN STUFF!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Struggled with that 90 deg turn at the entrance to Shane's for awhile myself, then watched somebody else do it with ease, now I get it just about everytime. The tip: make the turn as wide as you can. Rather than going straight up at the beginning, make it a round curve. Hopefully you'll come right around.

26er

a great connector

The trail came out looking great, although I am still feeling it in my back from swinging that pulaski for a couple of hours. Now once that other trail goes in it will make a nice little loop in itself.

Chris
    Live to ride!

Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

"The Miller Loop"

Quote Originally Posted by smilycook
    The trail came out looking great, although I am still feeling it in my back from swinging that pulaski for a couple of hours. Now once that other trail goes in it will make a nice little loop in itself.

Chris
    Yeah, my back is still aching today. Oh well, it was worth it. Hey, we've got unofficial names for the new trails there. The trail we cut Saturday has been unofficially christened "Tastes Great" and the other side (to be built on the 16th) will be called "Less Filling." Altogether, the new loop will be known as the "Miller Loop." I think it works!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    The champagne of Trails???

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

Dig it

Quote Originally Posted by TuffLove
    The champagne of Trails???
    Oh yeah, I dig that.

Hi!!!
    Finally rode this earlier tonight...FUN STUFF!!! I can't wait to work on the rest of it on the 16th!

26er

The new trail made for a nice night ride

Well it was very cool to come down the new central ridge trail tonight, the city was right in front of you the whole way down.

I also rode the new trail that runs near the road on the north side of military reserve. It is just a double track but it is a nice flat ride and definatly beats the road!

Chris
    Live to ride!

Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

mtbr member
    May 2004

Must have just missed you

Quote Originally Posted by smilycook
    Well it was very cool to come down the new central ridge trail tonight, the city was right in front of you the whole way down.

I also rode the new trail that runs near the road on the north side of military reserve. It is just a double track but it is a nice flat ride and definatly beats the road!

Chris
    Nice quick little ride, nice to get to Shanes that way rather than the former way
    Sound of Tires on Dirt - Sole Music; shared with friends - Soul Music.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

I've been riding the connector by headlamp

Shane's loop is a blast by headlamp because it doesn't have any surprises - I can usually do it as fast as I do it in daylight. Plus with the city lights below it's a really cool place to be at 5 in the morning (sic).

Ever since the availability from Miltary Reserve has opened, Shanes and 3 Beers have become part of my regular circuits because I can get there without touching pavement (except for the first 1/2 mile from my house). These simple connectors have practically doubled the amount of trail available in the lower foothills because you don't need to repeat certain sections.

One of my concerns though is that Shanes might take the kind of beating that Corrals and Sidewinder have experienced lately. It'll be interesting to see how this area evolves with its new availability.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.