mtbr member

New-Old SS for the foothills

Rocknrollbarbie (RRB) tried my SS a few days ago and liked it a lot. She has been looking for a SS frame/bike on eBay and mtbr.com (small, 22.5" or less TT, 29" or less Standover-in case someone has or knows of a frame laying around). In the meanwhile, to get her legs ready for SS riding, I rebuilt my Jester again for her to ride. As you can see, it's a frankenbike...
    Stem from the Mantra (120 mm cheap Kalloy)
    Handlebar from the Attitude (Easton carbon)
    Seatpost and saddle from the Yeti (Thompson Elite 27.2 and WTB Yeti)
    Wheels from the wheel pile (Nukeproof Carbon front, Mavic Crossland 8spd rear)
    Tires from the tire pile (used Python 2.0 Airlights with patched up tubes)
    Pedals from the pedal pile (Rebuilt 747's)
    The only original Dean items are the brakes (XT V's), bb crankset (Raceface) and fork (Judy with Englunds air cartridges-lighter than a SID).
    Brake levers are Tektro cheapies.
    Weight is around 23 or 22 lbs.
    Gearing is 32X20 with a Rennen Tensioner.
    Total Cost: $30 (DX cog and spacers).
    Introducing a hottie to the pain and satisfaction of SS'ing: Priceless

I feel sorry for her other bikes. They will be very lonely.

Here is the Rennen Setup:
    Last edited by flipnidaho; 01-18-2006 at 06:49 AM.

mtbr member

Old wheel

Mavic Crossland (8 speed) with spacers and cog.

mtbr member

The complete bike...

Ain't she pretty? Hmmm, I may have to ride her today.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Siiiiick!!!!
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

Hi!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    Introducing a hottie to the pain and satisfaction of SS'ing: Priceless
    I need to find me a SS'ing hottie!!!

Nice bike!!! Have fun with it RRB!!!!

roar
    Yah thanks! Im excited out of my mind. With the sun out today, riding it soon is a good possibility. You will recognize me on the trails. I will be the one on the pretty bike yelling in pain, but with a huge grin on my face.
    Whenever I haul a$$ I have to take two trips.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Some wider bars will make the climbing easier on you.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

roar
    G mentioned that too. Im sure youre right. Maybe I can bribe him into putting some on....

mtbr member

Hmmmm

in looking at the handlebar bin, I have about 5 or 6 bars. All flat, half carbon, half al. All are an old-school 21" wide. I run 23" on the Ionic SS but a lot of people run 25" or 26".
    This maybe what you want: Easton Monkey Lite on sale at Bob's
    We can always move it to your new SS frame once you get it...

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    in looking at the handlebar bin, I have about 5 or 6 bars. All flat, half carbon, half al. All are an old-school 21" wide. I run 23" on the Ionic SS but a lot of people run 25" or 26".
    This maybe what you want: Easton Monkey Lite on sale at Bob's
    We can always move it to your new SS frame once you get it...
    I've got a RaceFace 26" riser that I got from EP before I put on the Mary Bars. I put many happy miles on it. Ten dollars.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

roar
    So I got the Dean out on dirt yesterday. So fun! We climbed up 8th street and rode back down... pretty much all we could do with the muddy conditions. I really dig it. G's right, my other bikes are gonna be pretty lonely for a while. The bike is of course waaaay lighter than my fuel and like Im sure has been said a million times, the simplicity is really the best part. I have always been a runner and SSing reminds me of running, only better...

Im still wanting to build my own singlespeed (with G's help of course since I pretty much know nothing) the pretty gold bike is on loan until I get my own (sigh). So if you guys have frames/parts that would work for me, let me know.

King of the Barneys
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollbarbie
    So I got the Dean out on dirt yesterday. So fun! We climbed up 8th street and rode back down... pretty much all we could do with the muddy conditions. I really dig it. G's right, my other bikes are gonna be pretty lonely for a while. The bike is of course waaaay lighter than my fuel and like Im sure has been said a million times, the simplicity is really the best part. I have always been a runner and SSing reminds me of running, only better...

Im still wanting to build my own singlespeed (with G's help of course since I pretty much know nothing) the pretty gold bike is on loan until I get my own (sigh). So if you guys have frames/parts that would work for me, let me know.
    I have a steel Bridgestone MB-4 Frame (heck, the whole bike) you could have for $15. It looks a lot, well, almost exactly, like this one, which is my main ride. The extra I have for a good home is a spare I found in really good shape. It took a little work, with Brian in Eagle welding me horiz dropouts and brake bosses, but I love the final product.

The Gray Lady (by request)

I'll measure the size, and post the specs tomorrow, but its fairly compact. I usually ride a large, but this fits like a medium and is a really nicely balanced bike.

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

Hi!!!
    Hell if RRD doesn't want it, I'll take it (provided it fits me...ain't we about the same size roughly)?

mtbr member

All I can do

to keep up with RRB going up 8th. She's fast and getting faster... Dang, pretty soon, she'll be waiting up for me on all the climbs...
    Check out the pic. Doesn't she look like a natural...

CBro
    Let me know what the bike measures at. I love old Bridgestones! I've been looking for an MBZip also just for my personal collection...
    Attached Images Attached Images

King of the Barneys
    Quote Originally Posted by CBro
    I have a steel Bridgestone MB-4 Frame (heck, the whole bike) you could have for $15. It looks a lot, well, almost exactly, like this one, which is my main ride. The extra I have for a good home is a spare I found in really good shape. It took a little work, with Brian in Eagle welding me horiz dropouts and brake bosses, but I love the final product.

The Gray Lady (by request)

I'll measure the size, and post the specs tomorrow, but its fairly compact. I usually ride a large, but this fits like a medium and is a really nicely balanced bike.

CDB
    OK, here's my specs, as best I could measure with my wife's sewing tape:

TT: 20.5"
    DT: 23.75"
    BB to Seat Collar: 18.5"

It's an old Bridgestone large, but as you can tell from the photo, it's a tight cockpit and fits me more like a traditional medium.

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

mtbr member

Yo CBro

We'll pass on the frame. I'm trying to find her a frame with a bit more standover... We'll probably hold off until the swap...
    Thanks a bunch for the offer though!

You should convert the Bridgestone to a pseudo-Xbike... Kinda like this old lady that I "ressurected"...

King of the Barneys
    We'll pass on the frame. I'm trying to find her a frame with a bit more standover... We'll probably hold off until the swap...
    Thanks a bunch for the offer though!

You should convert the Bridgestone to a pseudo-Xbike... Kinda like this old lady that I "ressurected"...
    Now that's an interesting looking franken bike. I might throw $40 at the MB-4 and keep it as another loaner, or sell it. Whatever. Good luck in finding the right rig. There are lots of cool choices out there. Mrazek?

CDB

Contagious Xian

Quite a quiver

Gary - How many flippin' (pun intended) bikes do you have at your house? I guess the car stays outside and the bikes stay cozy in the garage??!!

Hi!!!
    Hey CBro...you still interested in selling that bike!?!? If so I'd like to try it out to see if it fits me!

I want a CX bike like flip's Stumpy!!!!

mtbr member

The standard answer...

Gary - How many flippin' (pun intended) bikes do you have at your house? I guess the car stays outside and the bikes stay cozy in the garage??!!
    Is I can always use one more bike... hehe... I have a hard time parting with bikes (I can't imagine selling them) so I end up with a LOT of bikes. However, I do ride them all at least once a year . Well except for this one. I haven't ridden it since I've had it (7 years). I've restored it but it has sew ups and it's a fixie-track bike so I'm working up the nerve.
    Luckily, my house has a "guest house" for the bikes attached to the garage so the HoopT stays covered up in the garage and the truck stays outside... So many toys, so little time...

King of the Barneys

... and if we just ...

Is I can always use one more bike... hehe... I have a hard time parting with bikes (I can't imagine selling them) so I end up with a LOT of bikes. However, I do ride them all at least once a year . Well except for this one. I haven't ridden it since I've had it (7 years). I've restored it but it has sew ups and it's a fixie-track bike so I'm working up the nerve.
    Luckily, my house has a "guest house" for the bikes attached to the garage so the HoopT stays covered up in the garage and the truck stays outside... So many toys, so little time...

so if you don't sell bikes, you can hand that Serotta off to me if its somewhere around a 56 or 57cm.. exactly what I'm looking for D)

CDB

King of the Barneys
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    Hey CBro...you still interested in selling that bike!?!? If so I'd like to try it out to see if it fits me!

I want a CX bike like flip's Stumpy!!!!
    Hey Belay--- forgot about this. You're welcome to look at this hombre and see if you'd like it. I'll still let it go for $15, about what I have in to it. If you can use it, it's a great frame.

you can call me at home or work, if you still have my numbers, or email at work, brown law at quik dot com, or cbro77@yahoo.com and we'll hook up.

CDB