Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2011

New Highlands Trail

Roger Phillips has a column up today stating that the new Highlands trail is open. I want to go check it out this afternoon, starting from the bottom. Is the trailhead obvious from the end of Highlands Drive? Does it break off of Bob's immediately from the pavement or later on?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

mtbr member
    May 2011
    FYI, I found it no problem. Right out of the culdesac on Hearthstone Drive (I accidentally said Highlands above). It's still soft on the edges but will be a fantastic trail when it settles. A great alternative to Corrals, which is riddled with brake bumps this time of year.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Was hoping to ride it last night, but ride partner nixed the idea. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to incorporate this trail into some usual routes. The old Crane Creek trail to Forbidden Love to Corrals was a great way to avoid BB Road and get in additional singletrack on the Camelsback - Corrals - Camelsback route, but I'm not sure what this trail does in particular. An out and back as part of the Corrals loop ride? A separate short loop ride? The ride to the bottom of Bob's is a ton of pavement from Camelsback.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I rode up 8th street and down the 8th street to Bob's connector. Not pavement, but definitely not singletrack. I then rode up Highlands, up Corrals, connected to Hulls and back to the bottom of 8th street.

Corrals down is in rough shape these days. So many brake bumps.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by stalking_horse View Post
    I rode up 8th street and down the 8th street to Bob's connector. Not pavement, but definitely not singletrack. I then rode up Highlands, up Corrals, connected to Hulls and back to the bottom of 8th street.
    Good suggested route. Thanks!

dblblack
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out the best way to incorporate this trail into some usual routes.
    Here are two that I was thinking of.
    1 - if you are hauling your bike in from somewhere, just go up to Corrals parking and then I would do Corrals - Bob's - Highlands - back to Corrals TH.
    2 - Bigger loop, but no pavement. Start at Camelsback or bottom of Hulls, take your pick to get to Trail 4, up over 8th street to Bob's, Highlands, Corrals, back to Trail 4 and take your pick back down to start (Hulls, Red Cliffs, Kestral).
    I'm going to head out and do the 2nd option this afternoon - probably will use Red Cliff route.

dblblack
    Apr 2012

Highlands Trail beta

I did the Camelsback loop option yesterday, riding out on Red Cliffs, making the Bob's - Highlands - Corrals loop clockwise and returning via Hulls Gulch. This was a great ride!! I wrote up a full Highlands Trail review and posted beta including GPS maps on my Hi-Adventure site. The trail is new, but I think it is a great addition to the system.

mtbr member
    On Mon. 10/14/13 w/ Jerry W. we did:
    Camels to Creastline>trail4>8th St> Scotts> down Corrals to the new Highlands Trial>Bob's up to 8th St> down the Rad trail with all the jumps to Hulls and back to Camels.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Howley View Post
    On Mon. 10/14/13 w/ Jerry W. we did:
    Camels to Creastline>trail4>8th St> Scotts> down Corrals to the new Highlands Trial>Bob's up to 8th St> down the Rad trail with all the jumps to Hulls and back to Camels.
    What's the rad trail with all the jumps? You don't mean trail 4 from 8th street to hulls, do you?

mtbr member
    It must have a name - car wreck ?

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by Howley View Post
    It must have a name - car wreck ?
    The so-called freeride community has historically called it "The Crack". They are into anatomical references. Coiler, Stinky, Unit, Douche, Urethra, Uvula, Roid, Nip, Puss, Schegma, Cheese, etc.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

dblblack
    Apr 2012

Trail connecting 8th St to Bob's

Is this the one that Twisted and Howley are referring to? (the one marked in red drops into Hulls lower down than #4, after the canyon widens up a bit).
    New Highlands Trail-hullsgoogleshot.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2011
    sweet, i'll have to check it out.

Look out!
    I have heard it referred as "Teenage Wasteland"
    Ride the bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    New connector trail to corrals to hard guy to ridge road then down dry creek, over to hardguy and a short trip down corrals and back down the new connector. 3.5 Hour quality ride and no pavement.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dblblack View Post
    I did the Camelsback loop option yesterday, riding out on Red Cliffs, making the Bob's - Highlands - Corrals loop clockwise and returning via Hulls Gulch. This was a great ride!! I wrote up a full Highlands Trail review and posted beta including GPS maps on my Hi-Adventure site. The trail is new, but I think it is a great addition to the system.
    I saw that posted on your website. Seems like a logical route from Camelsback - no pavement, singletrack, good amount of miles and elevation and not a 3.5 hour sufferfest. Thanks for the suggestion!

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    dblblack - Thanks for the suggestion. I rode up Hulls instead of Red Cliffs (mostly for time savings - darn late October short evenings) but did the rest of the route as described. Mr. Garmin sez 17.06 miles with an elevation-corrected 3420 feet (roughly) of gain. The Highlands trail was more "interesting" than I had expected. I thought it would be just sort of your usual go-up-a-hill sort of boring grind, but it had nice ups downs and turns. Another good addition to the trail system and this route is a great way to get DH runs on Bob's, Corrals and Hulls and never have to hit pavement.

dblblack
    Apr 2012
    Earthpig - I agree with you on the Highlands trail. It is a nice little section of canyon and ridges that it links up. Interesting side-note; our GPS distances were very similar if you factor in my slightly longer route by taking Red Cliffs, but our vertical was dramatically different. ~3400 for yours vs. ~2600 for mine. Seems odd. That might be an interesting topic over on the GPS threads in this forum.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    It's nice to see Earthpig spending less time manning the glory hole at Neurolux and more time on his bike.

But reporting trail mileages in hundreds of a mile? A hundredth of a mile is, like, 52.8 feet. WTF, over?
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dblblack View Post
    Earthpig - I agree with you on the Highlands trail. It is a nice little section of canyon and ridges that it links up. Interesting side-note; our GPS distances were very similar if you factor in my slightly longer route by taking Red Cliffs, but our vertical was dramatically different. ~3400 for yours vs. ~2600 for mine. Seems odd. That might be an interesting topic over on the GPS threads in this forum.
    Garmin Connect has the "elevation correction" feature that aligns elevation with waypoints. Gives, I think, a more accurate reading of every up and down in the trail than pure barometric readings on the Garmin 500. I think without the correction, it's about the same as yours.

As for you Dirk, I'm surprised you're not out on one of your 9 hour cross bike rides and then telling everybody about it and what a great hardcore rider you are and how anybody who rides a bike with suspension is lame. Get a life.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I was looking to get in a ride on Sunday and was wondering if down Highlands and up bobs seemed do-able? I know Bob's has some tech but not sure if it is as rideable up as down. Was hoping to hit Around the World, but the drive will take too much time for our window (side note: may just have to ride that myself tomorrow).

Would riding BB (a sin as this trail should eliminate pavement from corals loops) down highlands be a decent ride? Haven't rode Red Cliffs in awhile so that would be another bonus.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    FYI, highlands is really loose still, but you can tell it'll be a great trail when it settles. It's pretty easy to wash out a tire on the way down.

dblblack
    Apr 2012
    Riding up Bob's would be easy. There are only a couple of rock areas that might require a dismount. There aren't any sustained steep climbs. Two other observations: 1st, I think a trail like Bob's is just more fun riding down and 2nd, I think most of the traffic on Bob's is DH, so you would want to be careful on the blind corners because you'd be riding against the natural flow.
    Regarding the Highlands downhill, I agree with stalking horse; I'd be very cautious on that downhill. The new corners and the edges of the trail are pretty unstable.

mtbr member
    I rode from Camel's Back up the freeway, over to the 8th street connector, down Bob's, up the highland's connector, around corral's, and back down Hull's Gulch and it was a great ride. My computer said 18.5 miles and it seemed like a lot more climbing versus going up BBR.

I will never complain about any new addition of trail to your Boise foothills, however, Dave Gordon did miss one rock with his trail sanitization crew. Is it so bad to build in a little natural terrain to our trails?
    BoiseBoy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast