mtbr member

New to East Idaho

Just moved up to Rexburg Idaho and was wondering if there are any folks on here from the area. Maybe someone can show me around onece the snow melts back. All this snow is driving me crazy hopefully by May I can start ridding.
    Get out there and ride!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I'm on a work assignment out of the area for the next year but have lived in IF for the past 6 years. . . I'm not familiar with riding options right in Rexburg but there are a lot of options nearby. Unfortunately it's going to be a bit longer before things are dry, I was just visiting friends in Pocatello last weekend, there was still a bit of snow there.

Pocatello:
    City Creek will dry up first. Mink Creek and Scout Mountain won't dry until May. Check with Scotts Sports on trail conditions: 208-232-1449.

West Yellowstone:
    Again, not until May will the riding open up. Continental Divide is fun. Rendezvous trail system is good too. Freeheel and Wheel will have trail conditions and ideas for rides. Kelli and Melissa love to share their favorite trails. (406) 646-7744. Not sure what's going on with the park this year with the sequestration. They usually plow the road and make it available to pedestrian traffic only for several weeks. It's a nice place to ride during this time. You can ride from West to Old Faithful, or Madison sometimes. Be prepared to encounter moose and other wildlife. Freeheel and Wheel will have the latest information on this.

Salmon:
    Continental Divide trail. May, June.

Ketchum/Sun Valley/Stanley:
    Some of the lower rides will dry in Late April/May. Most won't dry until May/June. Elephant's Perch (208-726-3497) and Backwoods Mountain Sports (208-726-8826) know the trails and conditions. Also, the Blaine County Recreation District has a new web mapping app for trail conditions and trail descriptions. A wealth of knowledge in here: BCRD Summer TraiLink - Home

Heise/Kelly Canyon area:
    Still lots of snow here. Stinking Springs dries up first. The rest of the trails won't be rideable until May. Waterfall loop, etc.

Asthon:
    Rail to Trail. Should dry up by April. Will have some great views of the Tetons on a clear day. You can ride as far as Tetonia if you're ambitious. http://www.co.fremont.id.us/departme...Bike%20Map.pdf

Victor/Driggs:
    Quite a few options here. More if you venture to Teton Pass/Wilson or further to Jackson. Trails won't be rideable until May. There is a great rail to trail between Victor and Driggs. Fitzgerald's (208.787.2453) and Peaked Sports(208-354-2354) will have trail conditions.
    Grand Targhee has some XC riding as well as lift-served DH stuff. I've ridden Rick's Basin and the Mill trail, both are fun, Mill was more advanced, Rick's is pretty tame. I've heard they're charging to ride on the Rick's Basin trails.
    Grand Teton National Park usually plows the road from Teton Village to Signal Mountain early in the season and restricts access to just pedestrians for a period of time. Again, with the sequestration I don't know if this will be happening.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info I'll have to start looking into these spots.
    Get out there and ride!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by koudja View Post
    Salmon:
    Continental Divide trail. May, June.
    Salmon riding is so much more than the CDT... Check it in the signature link below.

Trails on the edge of Salmon still need a couple weeks, the foothills will be longer this year.

The are some good rides near Birch Creek in the Lemhi Mtns...and near Dubois in the Italian Peaks...look on SkidMap for some of those.

I have a couple friends in Rexburg that ride and will try to get them in touch.

mtbr member
    The TetonMTB website has Driggs and JHole ride (link seems to be broken in the Driggs Sticky post).

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by chukt View Post
    Salmon riding is so much more than the CDT...
    Can only agree 100%. I've only done a small section of the CDT there long before I moved to IF and it was a blast. I looked into riding there again but never made a trip and had since forgotten all the research I did. I figured a mention of it would at least spur him to do some research into the trails there. It's high on my list to spend more time there when I move back in a year.
    Last edited by koudja; 03-12-2013 at 03:03 PM. Reason: shpelling errar

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by koudja View Post

Victor/Driggs:
    Quite a few options here. More if you venture to Teton Pass/Wilson or further to Jackson. Trails won't be rideable until May. There is a great rail to trail between Victor and Driggs. Fitzgerald's (208.787.2453) and Peaked Sports(208-354-2354) will have trail conditions.
    Grand Targhee has some XC riding as well as lift-served DH stuff. I've ridden Rick's Basin and the Mill trail, both are fun, Mill was more advanced, Rick's is pretty tame. I've heard they're charging to ride on the Rick's Basin trails.
    Grand Teton National Park usually plows the road from Teton Village to Signal Mountain early in the season and restricts access to just pedestrians for a period of time. Again, with the sequestration I don't know if this will be happening.
    News to me that Targhee is charging, and I ride up there a lot. They do charge to use the lifts. Great info other wise in this post.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    News to me that Targhee is charging, and I ride up there a lot. They do charge to use the lifts. Great info other wise in this post.
    Yeah, I was surprised too when a friend told me. It was three years ago. He went up to ride Rick's, not an avid rider, maybe he didn't know what he was asking for and mistakenly thought he needed to pay, which he did. As I said, only 'heard'. I've never been asked to pay, nor have I ever stopped in the office or base area to ask.

mtbr member
    Looks like I have a lot of homework to do, thanks everyone for the 411.
    Get out there and ride!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I live in Rexburg and have learned to drive to the trails....later in spring there are many trails in the Moody, Kelly, and points in between. Horseshoe Canyon west of Driggs has a great trail system that will dry sometime in May. There are also several rides south of Horseshoe Canyon....Jackson area has some great riding if you can dodge the tourists. Poky will be your best bet early in the season...watch the tv weather cams looking west of town for the snow to leave...

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Afaik, you don't have to pay to ride Ricks or Mill or anything.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    almost forgot, there's a bike club out of IF that rides regularly on Thursdays once the season starts. They know the new trails up at Kelly Canyon well. They sometimes also do a ride on the weekend.
    Snake River Mountain BIke Club

mtbr member

Sticks and Stones plus

Quote Originally Posted by bigpete61 View Post
    Rexburg Idaho and was wondering if there are any folks on here from the area.
    Hey bigpete,

Just happened upon this website for Sticks and Stones/Sled Shed in Rexburg. Looks like good info and folks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chukt View Post
    Hey bigpete,

Just happened upon this website for Sticks and Stones/Sled Shed in Rexburg. Looks like good info and folks.
    Thanks chukt! The weather has been really nice I have been riding on the road about 3 times a week. I'm thinking of going up to Kelly Canyon in two weeks when I have my break in between semesters at BYUI.
    Get out there and ride!

mtbr member
    hey, im in rexburg too, kellys wont open up till mid may, and there will still be snow here and there, your best bet is pocatello.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    We had a great day last weekend on the Waterfall Trail up out of Kelly Canyon. Fully melted out, but probably a little muddy from the rain right now.