KMRIA

New to the Boise Area...Hemmingway Butte?

Hello,

I've just relocated to the area and signed up for the Barking Spider race. I wanted to check out the course, Hemmingway Butte ORV area. I couldn't find much info on the web so I was hoping to get some feedback from this forum.

As its listed as an off road vehicle area, is the place packed w/motocrossers, etc? Do people generally bike out there? My co-worker was going to pre-run the course and she doesn't know anything about it either. If we go out there are we going to be mixing it up w/the motorsports folks?

I would just go check it out but its quite a haul down there.

Thanks very much in advance for any feedback.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Yes, HB is the first stop for OHV recreationalists crossing the Snake River headed down Highway 78 (it is 78, right?). You will find motorcycles, lots of them, out there on any given Sunday (pun intended).

Quote Originally Posted by Lunger
    Hello,

I've just relocated to the area and signed up for the Barking Spider race. I wanted to check out the course, Hemmingway Butte ORV area. I couldn't find much info on the web so I was hoping to get some feedback from this forum.

As its listed as an off road vehicle area, is the place packed w/motocrossers, etc? Do people generally bike out there? My co-worker was going to pre-run the course and she doesn't know anything about it either. If we go out there are we going to be mixing it up w/the motorsports folks?

Hi!!!
    I rode the course last year, but didn't race and when I did my ride I ran across a number of motorized users.

I think the only time people really bike out there is to pre-ride the course like the week or so before the race. I think if people want to ride out there, their best luck is the Wilson Creek area just down the road.

King of the Barneys
    Hello,

First, welcome to the area.

I've only raced it once, but I've ridden it probably 10x and it's not always easy to figure out the course without somebody showing you the way that really knows it, and for all I know, it probably changes a little bit year to year. Maybe it's just me not memorizing it. Even when it's marked you can get screwed up (personal experience).

I'd recommend talking to some shops or trying to put a group ride together to pre-ride it with folks that know their way around. I've not had any trouble with mc's on the race course part of it, because in my experience, they'll park in the same place but quickly head farther out, leaving the race course pretty barren. But, ymmv.

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

KMRIA
    Thanks very much for the feedback and the welcome. I'll just wing it race day, I don't need the drive and would rather not deal w/the motorcycles/etc.

Great forum, I've been lurking here since I've moved out a few months ago....informative and entertaining.

Thanks again.

Contagious Xian
    Thanks very much for the feedback and the welcome. I'll just wing it race day, I don't need the drive and would rather not deal w/the motorcycles/etc.

Great forum, I've been lurking here since I've moved out a few months ago....informative and entertaining.

Thanks again.
    It's not really that far to drive, there's no traffic getting there and it's a chance to check out the rural ID countryside. Maybe the next Wilson Creek ride you can meet up with some folks and get acquainted.

True of the board, especially the "entertaining" part. You've probably figured out "who's-who" then..

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Mmmmm...beer avatar. Beer good...at least when I get to drink it.

May the spackle not be with you.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

KMRIA
    That's true, 20+ miles isn't that bad if there is minimal traffic and I do need to get out and check the area out.

A Wilson Creek ride sounds good. I'm typically a dawn/pre-dawn rider though. I get out early so I still have plenty of time w/the kids on the weekend. My wife needs the break (stay-at-home-mom) so she doesn't go off the deep end and take me with her. As my wife points out I don't have a very "social" riding schedule.

I can get away occasionally though, I'll keep an eye out on the forum for scheduled rides....thanks for the offer.

the new Gilbert Grape
    I'll just wing it race day.
    I raced it last year, and like you I'd not done a pre-ride. The course is generally pretty flat, so there's not a lot to catch you off guard. There's one steep hill, and it's very short and only about a half mile form the start line. There's nothing overly technical on the course either - I rode it on a rigid single speed and did fine.

While you'll almost always benefit from a pre-ride, it's not as big a deal on this course as on some.

Good luck, and welcome to Idaho!
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

KMRIA
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    I raced it last year, and like you I'd not done a pre-ride. The course is generally pretty flat, so there's not a lot to catch you off guard. There's one steep hill, and it's very short and only about a half mile form the start line. There's nothing overly technical on the course either - I rode it on a rigid single speed and did fine.

While you'll almost always benefit from a pre-ride, it's not as big a deal on this course as on some.

Good luck, and welcome to Idaho!
    Thanks for the course description, that's good enough for me!

Hi!!!
    There's one steep hill, and it's very short and only about a half mile form the start line.
    Are you talking about the one before the finish line?

I saw a guy biff it HARD last year. He was coming down that mofo at a pretty good rate of speed when he got towards the bottom and lost control of his bike and went down pretty damn bad. When I first approached the lip I was scarred shitless but went ahead and did it. My ass was riding the rear tire, but I eventually made it down without crashing. When I got back to the parking lot I didn't see the guy who crashed then in the distance I saw a guy walking his bike and ran over to him. His front end was mangled and he was having problems with one of his arms. I loaded up his bike and offered to take him to Mercy Medical but he said he was OK and was just going to drive back home to the Wood River area . Ron came over to check on him too and told him to go to Mercy as well, but he declined.
    Idaho Biking Yahoo! Group
    Support these shops: www.CustomMtnCycles.com & Reed's Cycle

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    Are you talking about the one before the finish line?.
    No, there is nice hill there, but I didn't think that was a big deal. Maybe it's worse than I remember.

About 2 minutes into the race there's the only steep climb. It's not a big hill, but being on a singlespeed I remember it well. The elevation gain is not more than 100 feet (likely less), but it's steep (or else I was in worse shape than I thought).
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

King of the Barneys
    That's a common spot for biffs, since first-timers under-estimate the angle and composition of the hill, (especially toward the bottom) ie, steep, and lots of little rollers on the right you can't hardly see, so you have to stay left. I might have my lefts and rights mixed up, but there's an easy line, and a dangerous one, and the year I raced it, they packed a handful of seriously wounded warriors out of that section. A couple on back boards. IMO, it's so short a piece, really, you may as well take it at a safe pace and not risk your life to gain a few seconds for the love of pete.

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

King of the Barneys
    No, there is nice hill there, but I didn't think that was a big deal. Maybe it's worse than I remember.

About 2 minutes into the race there's the only steep climb. It's not a big hill, but being on a singlespeed I remember it well. The elevation gain is not more than 100 feet (likely less), but it's steep (or else I was in worse shape than I thought).
    Are you talking about that hill after you've made the silly little loop out into the desert right after the start, and it's a fairly long, steep climb that starts out on a jeep road in usually soft dirt, and gets steeper still by the top?? That would be a *trick* for me, at least, to clean on the SS and have much gas left over.

CDB

Hi!!!
    * RE: the steep hill before the finish line....

IIRC the dude that crashed said he went left and started hitting those rollers.

* RE: the steep hill after the start

OK know I know what you are talking about. I keep forgetting that the start heads back towards the farm and then makes a couple of lefts before going up a hill. Yeah that one would be a ***** on a SS.
    Idaho Biking Yahoo! Group
    Support these shops: www.CustomMtnCycles.com & Reed's Cycle

Contagious Xian

Check your PMs

Thanks for the course description, that's good enough for me!
    Lunger - I sent you a PM the other day. Family situations are very common for many here on the board.