Hoops - Big and Small

New Bike in the Boise Front

Kind of a X Post - I posted specs and stuff on the 29er forum. If anybody wants to try out a 29er or if you see me suffering on a climb. Can't miss the Big Green Apple.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hoops - Big and Small

Steel Is Real

Quote Originally Posted by Bombin4X
    What does a featherweight rig like that weigh in at?
    Looks lighter than it is - somewhere around 26lbs. It's an XL frame, oh and did I say it's steel baby!

Contagious Xian

That's a trip

What does a featherweight rig like that weigh in at?

mtbr member

Nice

Welcome to the club....

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_Burn
    Kind of a X Post - I posted specs and stuff on the 29er forum. If anybody wants to try out a 29er or if you see me suffering on a climb. Can't miss the Big Green Apple.
    Nice green dinglespeed! Have you taken her on dirt yet?

King of the Barneys
    Very nice. Nothing like a fully rigid steel singlespeed. And yours is cooler than most!

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by CBro
    Very nice. Nothing like a fully rigid steel singlespeed. And yours is cooler than most!

CDB
    Hold on a sec. Is that thing really fully rigid? Hmmm.... (Althought the cool factor is indeed right up there.)
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Hoops - Big and Small

Maybe Today

Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    Nice green dinglespeed! Have you taken her on dirt yet?
    If I can get my act together and get my do's done first.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    If I can get my act together and get my do's done first.
    Yeah, I remember you gave me some excuse about you having "party preparation" to do this afternoon. Good luck with that.

Hoops - Big and Small

All Dirty Now

Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    Welcome to the club....
    Good to see you and RRB on the trail friday - the seat adjustment made my ride, thanks.

I managed to blow a tube coming down Hulls and as you could see I was totally unprepared for trail side repairs. I walked/ran out to 8th where I got a ride home from a Gordy.

Just ordered my 38 tooth chainring so I won't be removing my rear brake anymore.

Good to see you two out on the trail!
    Ride On

roar
    Yeah, congrats. Thats a really pretty, eye-catching ride you have. It was fun to see it out on its first ride. Sorry to hear you blew a tire!
    Whenever I haul a$$ I have to take two trips.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Good to see you and RRB on the trail friday...
    Is "I'm booked for party preparation" a euphamism for "I'm riding solo on Friday"?

Hoops - Big and Small

Hooky Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    Is "I'm booked for party preparation" a euphamism for "I'm riding solo on Friday"?
    I was able to get out for some fat tire fun - I did cut it close on my party though.

You riding with Bombin4X and Michael tonight? I'am going to try and get in some more dirt time with my Slinger.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    I was able to get out for some fat tire fun - I did cut it close on my party though.

You riding with Bombin4X and Michael tonight? I'am going to try and get in some more dirt time with my Slinger.
    Ah, the life of a bachelor. Are you planning on the Peru trip? I hear that rideit is planning a trip for bachelors only.

Nope, can't make it tonight - gotta take the little guy to swim lessons. That, and my legs are kicked after 5 straight days of activity (running, mountain bike, road bike, mountain bike, snowboarding) and desperately need a break. I may get back on the bike this weekend.

mtbr member

Folding

I'm getting the red Slinger ready for the trip. I took photos (for insurance purposes) of the bike before and after I folded her up. I thought you may want to see what a folded Slinger looks like. I bought some 26x1.0 Specialized slicks for some road riding and brought knobbies for dirt...

mtbr member

One more

from the side... This folds up to a box about the 28X28X12...

Hoops - Big and Small

Slinging in the Philippines?

from the side... This folds up to a box about the 28X28X12...
    You headed overseas?

Did you get the Armadillos? That's a small looking form factor you got there.

I have some foam tubes that wrap around the frame tubing for packaging frames up for shipping, if you need some extra padding let me know.

mtbr member

Going home for a bit

You headed overseas?
    Going back to the PI for some R&R and also some road riding and some jungle riding. There are actually some good rides a few km's away from my hometown.

Did you get the Armadillos?
    No Armadillo's. Just the usual Specialized tires have the flak jacket protection which should be good enough. The worse I typically have to deal with are typically pinches fom pot holes.

I have some foam tubes that wrap around the frame tubing for packaging frames up for shipping, if you need some extra padding let me know.
    thanks for the offer. The case that the bike goes in is pretty well padded (and the wheels sandwich the frame). It was special ordered with the bike. I'll take a photo of how it fits in the bag tonight if you're interested. It's a pretty cool system.

Are you getting used to the ride of the Slinger?

Hoops - Big and Small

The Slinger Rocks!

Are you getting used to the ride of the Slinger?
    I went up Hulls down Freeway then reversed up Freeway and down Hulls, so is that a Double Dork?

Still dialing the bike in - but it's very fun to ride. Kinda reminds me of when I first started riding when I was stuck in my granny gear. SSing makes you enjoy the ride more, when on the flats you really take in the whole experience of just cruising along. Of course the uphill is a painful pleasure, I do feel stronger today.

More Pictures - Yes Please, the diggidy dog in the background is appreciated.

mtbr member

Will do

I’ll post a pic of the bike case with the bike in it this afternoon/evening.
    Man- so many options for travel bike these days. Have you seen the coupling system used by the custom framebuilders? For a few bucks (and a few ounces) more, you can have any custom bike built to uncouple and fit into custom cases. The next frame I build will probably use the coupling system.
    After you’ve been riding the Slinger for a while and then ride a hardtail, you’ll notice the “surging” effect of the spring at the dead part of your stroke (or at least, you’ll notice the hardtail’s lack of “surge”).

mtbr member

The case

Made by Pika Packworks out of SLC, UT

mtbr member

The wheels

fit in pockets on either side of the frame. Various pockets in the dividers hold the miscellaneous pieces such as QR, tubes, lube, tools, fork pump, etc...

Hoops - Big and Small

Spiffy Packer

fit in pockets on either side of the frame. Various pockets in the dividers hold the miscellaneous pieces such as QR, tubes, lube, tools, fork pump, etc...
    Looks like your all ready to go. Hope to see some nice pics from your travels!