Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Need to Ride Trails in Idaho, Wyoming, Montana?

Hey Fellas,

Some buddies and I are planning a trip for this spring/summer. We want to do a 6-8 day loop trip from Utah thru Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and back. We want to ride the best trails that these states have to offer. When is the best month to do this in these areas? Also need cheap or free places to camp or stay with showers. Suggestions? Thanks for any help given.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The SunValley and Stanley areas have a ton of wicked awesome trails. With the snow I would suggest June or later in the year like September. I am from Boise and my riding buddies and I have taken weekend trips up there and it's been a blast. For more detailed info on the best trails I would suggest calling any of the LBS up there. That's what we have done. If I remember the name of the hotel we stayed at I will let you know but it was about $30 per person per night for 2 King mattresses and a great complimentary breakfast. That was for 4 people and they let us store our bikes in a storage room next to the lobby that they kept locked. Hope that helps a little.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks for the info TLD80. That helps. So we are thinking we will start in Jackson, WY and loop up into Montana, then down into the Sun Valley area, and maybe over to Boise. If anyone has trail suggestions or any suggestions keep em coming.

mtbr member
    What kind of riding do you like to do? Jackson has a lot of trails, as does sun valley/Stanley. There is a sticky on Sun Valley and Stanley in this forum.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyspoke View Post
    What kind of riding do you like to do? Jackson has a lot of trails, as does sun valley/Stanley. There is a sticky on Sun Valley and Stanley in this forum.
    We like any type of riding other than super advanced tech and crazy downhill. We will be on 5" trail bikes. Looking for some must do trails, 7-20 miles in length, single track, good climbing, fast, rolly. I hope that helps.

mtbr member
    In Jackson, there is a nice loop eastt of town. Cache creek, game creek, west game and ferrins can be combined for a ~20 mile loop. I haven't had time but there is supposed to be some XC west of town on the pass (plus some techy downhill). Close to there also are several trails in the Victor-Driggs area. Hope to get back there this summer.

Sun Valley has tons of trails. Adventure maps has a good map, most rides you can stack or add on to make them longer if you want. Greenhorn-Mahoney or -Imperial is a good place to start on the south side of town. Adams Gulch is closer to Sun Valley itself. These are networks where you can literally go out for an hour or all day (or days). Additionally, check out Fox Creek, Chocolate and Oregon Gulchs. Good riding all of these. Stanley is generally more technical than Sun Valley but less crowded. A nice long ride goes from 4th of July to Ant's Basin down warm springs and up and out Williams creek. Fisher Williams is a classic. Potato mountain loop is great but I think it was affected by the fires last summer. Forest service should be able to tell you for sure.

In Montana, my experience is limited to Missoula. North of town in the Rattlesnake recreation area there are some sweet loops that again you can add on to make your ride anywhere from 5-20+ miles.

Hopefully other folks will chime in. If you have any more specific questions I'll do my best to answer.

mtbr member
    Forgot to add camping suggestions. If you want cheap, north of Sun Valley off of baker creek road there is free (or at least used to be free) camping. Back toward sunvalley a mile or so is Easly hot springs, a commercial hot springs run by a church of some sort. They have showers for a couple bucks or so. Closer to Stanley there are showers at Redfish lake. They take quarters, again, I think a couple bucks or so would get you a 5-10 minute shower. They have laundry close also.

It's a great area, I always love heading up there. I think July is the best month, wild flowers are going off but snow is generally gone.

mtbr member
    This link has Maps for Sun Valley, Boise, Stanley

and another link of Maps of Sun Valley Rides w/ trail status. Fisher/Williams is nice and pretty easy. If you like adventure, check out the East Fork rides.

This link has rides in Victor, Driggs, Jackson Area (I would suggest Ditch Creek to Horse Tail on the Gros Ventre side; Phillips Canyon on the Teton Pass side; good stuff in Driggs too)

This link has rides in Utah, Idaho, Colo, etc. and more rides added weekly it seems from all over the west.

mtbr member
    In Montana...

Red Lodge has a couple of classics...Line Creek Plateau for one.

Bozeman now has an Imba Epic ride in the Bangtail Divide. Other great rides in the area too...Beartooth Publishing has good maps (and a great book "Montana Singletrack", out of print, maybe you can find a copy somewhere)

There is public land everywhere, camp there for free. Free showers from jumping in the rivers too!!

Best time to ride is Mid-July to Early-October; snow will be out of the high-country by then and no hunters aiming at you.

mtbr member
    GREAT info Chukt! Also, if you're spending any time in utah for biking, check out utahmountainbiking.com for trail descriptions.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks for all the info guys. I think we have enough there to make a good trip with some epic riding. We are all from Utah and love the riding here, just want to change it up a little. Utahmountainbikng.com is an awesome site. I wish someone in each state would do something similar. Bruce, the guy that does the site does an excellent job. Plus it must be really rough for him going around the state and riding all those trails. Wish I had the time and money to do that. Again, thanks for all the info. If anyone else has more, then bring it on.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Ok guys, I've been making some notes. Thanks to all your suggestions I have plenty of info for Jackson and Sun Valley/Stanley areas. Looking for must rides and places to stay in the Driggs/Victor area, and Big Sky/Bozeman area. I am also wondering about the Idaho City area. Are there good trails there, or should we skip that one? Thanks for any help.

dblblack
    Apr 2012
    I don't believe there is a lot of single track that is mountain bike specific in the Idaho City area. There are several rides in the Boise foothills that run literally from town up to Bogus Basin ski area. I've documented several on this site, (GPS Exchange) that are in your sweet spot of 7 - 20 miles. Plus there are a handful of rides across Idaho and in Western Wyoming.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dblblack View Post
    I don't believe there is a lot of single track that is mountain bike specific in the Idaho City area. There are several rides in the Boise foothills that run literally from town up to Bogus Basin ski area. I've documented several on this site, (GPS Exchange) that are in your sweet spot of 7 - 20 miles. Plus there are a handful of rides across Idaho and in Western Wyoming.
    Good to know. Thanks.

mtbr member
    What route are you planning on for the drive?

Wyoming has some good riding in the Green River area and good riding between Laramie and Cheyenne in the Happy Jack area and Curt Gowdy State Park. Happy Jack is close to Curt Gowdy and there is good camping at Curt Gowdy. I don't know if they have any showers available there. There might be. Boating and water skiing are popular. Of course there is a lake.

There are some new trails going in at Glendo State Park. They don't have a lot built yet, but what is there is pretty good. It isn't worth a trip to get to them, but if you were passing by on I-25 they are worth stopping and there are good camp sites at Glendo. Same deal on the showers as Curt Gowdy.

We ride year round, but honestly the best times of year are June through October. Earlier in the year can be real nice, but chance of cold weather and rain/mud are real concerns. Later in the year can be real nice too, but it can start getting pretty cold. It can get oppressive hot in August, but mornings and evenings are super.
    I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks for the info 11 Bravo. We won't be going that way though. The tentative plan is to drive up to Jackson from Provo, Utah on day 1. Day 2 we will ride Jackson area. Day 3 maybe Driggs/Victor area. Day 4 Big Sky/Bozeman area. Day 5 Sun Valley/Stanley area. Day 6 same as 5 and drive home. As already posted, I am still looking for trail suggestions for our days 3 and 4. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by neblackb View Post
    Thanks for the info 11 Bravo. We won't be going that way though. The tentative plan is to drive up to Jackson from Provo, Utah on day 1. Day 2 we will ride Jackson area. Day 3 maybe Driggs/Victor area. Day 4 Big Sky/Bozeman area. Day 5 Sun Valley/Stanley area. Day 6 same as 5 and drive home. As already posted, I am still looking for trail suggestions for our days 3 and 4. Thanks.
    Are you teleporting to these areas? I just ask because you're not leaving much time to get from one place to another, bike, find a place to stay, eat, and sleep.

For instance, let's look at Day 4. You wake up in Driggs at 7am, pack up the car and head out for Bozeman at 7:30. You eat during the drive and show up in Bozeman at 10:30. You know for a fact that you want to ride Bangtail Divide so you go straight to the trailhead. You get to the Stone Ck trailhead, unload bikes, slip into your riding clothes and start pedalling by 11. You only have one car so you have to ride the loop. And you're starving since you haven't eaten lunch yet. So your ride takes about 5 hours (a pretty reasonable estimate) and you're back to your car at 4pm. Awesome, now to find a place to stay and eat dinner...

Now here's the thing. You really don't have anymore time to spend in Bozeman because you need to be in Sun Valley in time to start all over again tomorrow. You still have 5 or 6 hours of driving to do to reach Hailey/Ketchum (if you speed through the Arco desert and don't take the scenic route through Salmon).

Give yourselves more than a day in each place so you can actually enjoy your rides and not be exhuasted and cramped from sitting in a car for hours each day.

And come in late July/early September. Trails around Bzn/Big Sky often aren't clear of snow until after 4th of July.

Editted to add - Wifey and I have spent most of our vacations during the past 15 years mtb riding in places within 12 to 15 hours of driving from Bozeman (the places you're looking at). We typically set up basecamp and spend a week riding within a short distance of that spot. We've never become bored. You could easily spend a week in Sun Valley or Bzn/Big Sky and never ride the same trail twice. The same is probably true for everywhere else on your list.
    Last edited by dir-T; 12-31-2012 at 12:27 PM.

beater
    dir-T speaks truth. I think the plan you've lined out so far is a logistical impossibility unless you're willing to set up camp in the dark ever night and pull pole shortly after dawn. Consider that some trailheads take a while to get to once you turn off the main roads, too.

Other rides to look into:

One of the XC-ish rides in the Teton Pass area (west of Jackson) to look at is Phillips Ridge. And there are hundreds of miles to choose from on the other side of the divide, in the Teton Valley. Stop in at Fitzgerald's in Victor and pick up a trail map.

Other options for big, destination-worthy, most-of-the-day rides in Montana between the Tetons and Bozeman are in the southern Madison range (Mile Creek and Sheep Creek are some keywords to help you search the forum) and the Curly Lake Highline.

Helena has plenty of quality riding right outside town, but we're a bit outside the route you're considering so far.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Good words all. FYI, for years I planned multi day trips starting and ending in Boise with Sunvalley/Stanley in route. Biggest lesson learned...Each day needs to be sun rise to sun set doable - pleanty of time to swim in a lake, river or shower - drink beer and eat - get a massage and get to bed before midnight - To do it all again the next day - dawn, breakfast, tune bikes dry clothes shuttle etc. I rode one year 15 days straight - had to have hot springs in route and all doable in Idaho.

Lesson learned - Plan on progressive rides. Some that build to be harder and some that are easy day off rides to chill and take in the sights. We plan at leat 2 nights in the same spot so we only move twice in a week.

Just some ideas...PM me I'll let you in on some proven iteneraries.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Edit: Didn't see your spring/summer note -- most of the above treeline rides aren't ridable until later-June... depending on winter, so if you're earlier than that then Bangtail and the lower rides might make more sense....

If it were me, I would ride Sheep/Mile and the new CDT reroute off Targhee Pass (in the Lionhead/Henry's Mountains just West of West Yellowstone) before Bangtail or anything else in Bozeman.

Those 3 rides along with Curly Lake Highline are the best of the best (in my opinion) of the southwestern part of our state...

Assuming you're strong riders, with good navigational skills and bear aware there's nthing wrong with Bangtail, Chestnut, Emerald and the other BZN rides recommended in the beartooth mtn biking guide, but I don't think any of those rides compare to the scenery / elevation of the other options listed above.

+++++
    Other options for big, destination-worthy, most-of-the-day rides in Montana between the Tetons and Bozeman are in the southern Madison range (Mile Creek and Sheep Creek are some keywords to help you search the forum) and the Curly Lake Highline.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    You guys all have good points. Have never been up past Jackson, so I have Ben guessing travel times. This is the reason that I am here asking for help now. We all have families with young children, so a 6 day trip is all we could do without one of us ending up divorced. So the question is what would be a valid 6 day trip for the area? Could we still manage all 3 states, or do we need to only go with 2? Howley, I will pm you.

beater
    Well, nearly all of the Teton Valley is in Idaho, so you'll get two states just riding between there and Jackson.

If I were you, I'd divide my time between Teton Valley/Teton Pass area and the southern Madison range. Those two destinations are closer to each other, making the drive times much more manageable. Google Maps URLs in those links. Even if you haven't driven beyond Jackson, you should be able to get a sense of scale.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    A few hundred questions for everyone. What is time driving between Jackson and the TetonValley? 1.5 to 2 hrs? Time driving between Big Sky and Bozeman? 2 hrs? Time driving between Sun Valley and Stanley? 1 hr? How many and which of the following areas should we ride to make it a fun, reasonable, and epic trip? Jackson, Teton Valley, the area west of West Yellowstone that has been mentioned, Big Sky, Bozeman, Sun Valley, Stanley? Are there any that I am forgeting that is better than the above mentioned? Remember we want to ride the best trails that you have. Again, I thank everyone or your help. When we get his thing planned, you are all invited to join us on our epic adventure.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Jackson/ TV idaho is anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour, Max. They are basically one community divided by a little hill that happens to have sick riding on both sides of it.
    check out my friend dana's site for local beta:
    Teton MTB

You will be blown away by the riding in our area, IMO. give me a shout when you get closer (late June early July at the earliest, I hope, not that much to ride before then!) and I will be happy to give some suggestions on both sides of the pass, or go out for a spin.

We have ~ 400 miles of stuff like this in the area

This

This

This

This
    Sept 2011 Teton Pass on Vimeo

this

etc...You guys could ride here for six days straight on new trails every day, and still come away thinking you shouldn't tell anyone about this.
    Last edited by rideit; 01-03-2013 at 10:39 AM.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

26er
    I agree with others that six days is better spent in one area. I think the riding is better in the Sun Valley/ Stanley area and this is best done at the beginning of July. You could do Sun Valley in June also if you stayed off the really high trails.

The sticky is the best place for info on the Sun Valley/Stanley area.
    Live to ride!

Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast