Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 38 of 38
  1. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    220
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    Well, nearly all of the Teton Valley is in Idaho, so you'll get two states just riding between there and Jackson.

    If I were you, I'd divide my time between Teton Valley/Teton Pass area and the southern Madison range. Those two destinations are closer to each other, making the drive times much more manageable. Google Maps URLs in those links. Even if you haven't driven beyond Jackson, you should be able to get a sense of scale.
    Ditto this.

    Day 1, drive to Jackson, ride Ferrins-W. Game-Hagens
    Day 2, Teton Pass, ride Snotel-Phillips Ridge, do a shuttle lap on Jimmy's Mom (easy to ride around the big boy stuff.)
    Day 3 Teton Valley, Targhee area Ride Mill Creek-ColdSprings-RicksBasin-Lighting Ridge-back down Mill Creek.
    Day 4 Teton Valley, Big Holes - Shorter: Ride Horseshoe loops, Channel lock-Southbound-Cody's-Shark Belly-Bovine or
    Medium: Corral-Red Creek
    Longer: South F. Horseshoe-Elk Flats-S. Canyon-N.Canyon-S. Horseshoe
    Day 5 Madison Range, Sheep Creek out and back
    Day 6 Madison Range, Targhee Pass to Mile Creek.

    That would be a crusher week for me, but it's good to aim high. As others have said, late June would be the earliest to try this, especially the alpine stuff in the Madison Range. Bring bear spray.

  2. #27
    beater
    Reputation: evasive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,773
    The OP asked about showers: Teton County's sweet recreation center in downtown Jackson. Great place to get a shower for $8 or whatever a day pass is now even if you're camping.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

    Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

  3. #28
    Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,833
    Quote Originally Posted by smilycook View Post
    I agree with others that six days is better spent in one area. I think the riding is better in the Sun Valley/ Stanley area and this is best done at the beginning of July. You could do Sun Valley in June also if you stayed off the really high trails.

    The sticky is the best place for info on the Sun Valley/Stanley area.
    SV certainly does have good riding. But if you haven't ridden here in the last 5-6 years, you will be astounded. There is much more variety available here for aggressive rides, and more 'epics' where you would likely not run into anyone for hours upon hours (in the Big Holes). There is incredible riding all over the state, for sure, but with the trails on Teton Pass, DH a Targhee, and lift served Nerf DH at Teton Village, this place is now in a. Entirely different class, IMO.
    You have to come back, Smiley, I could take you on some 50 miles of new trails designed, built, and maintained by and for (principally) Mt. bikes. It fairly absurd.
    But hey, I am admittedly biased.
    This offer goes for any SV/Stanley/Ketchum folks, btw, I'll show you mine if you show me yours!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

    And then we eat them."

  4. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    265

    Hope

    Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    Ditto this.

    Day 1, drive to Jackson, ride Ferrins-W. Game-Hagens
    Day 2, Teton Pass, ride Snotel-Phillips Ridge, do a shuttle lap on Jimmy's Mom (easy to ride around the big boy stuff.)
    Day 3 Teton Valley, Targhee area Ride Mill Creek-ColdSprings-RicksBasin-Lighting Ridge-back down Mill Creek.
    Day 4 Teton Valley, Big Holes - Shorter: Ride Horseshoe loops, Channel lock-Southbound-Cody's-Shark Belly-Bovine or
    Medium: Corral-Red Creek
    Longer: South F. Horseshoe-Elk Flats-S. Canyon-N.Canyon-S. Horseshoe
    Day 5 Madison Range, Sheep Creek out and back
    Day 6 Madison Range, Targhee Pass to Mile Creek.

    That would be a crusher week for me, but it's good to aim high. As others have said, late June would be the earliest to try this, especially the alpine stuff in the Madison Range. Bring bear spray.
    I can't recall if you and the family were camping, but if you follow Pancho's advice (and I suggest you do or at least cut back on some of the driving), you can camp at Cliff & Wade Lakes.

    http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/bdnf/...=5714&actid=82

    It's a really pretty set of lakes and very family friendly camping that is super close to the Sheep/Mile rides in the Henry's Fork/Lionhead, and theres even riding (to Hidden lake, though I haven't done it yet) from your campsite.

    Otherwise, I've found really good (and free) camping on the south side of hebgen lake (a few miles W of West Yellowstone).

    I did Sheep->Watkins last summer and while the mile/sheep/cdt sections are better than watkins it was nice to get dropped off at the TH and ride back to camp / cold beers (aka spousal shuttle)

  5. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    14
    Boise has a terrific trail system, but I'm not sure you could put it in the same class as some of the more famous destinations. There are lots of loops and the variety is decent if you come in the summer when the Shafer Butte system is dried out. There is a huge mountain biking community here and it's a snap to find friendly locals to show you around.

    I think Boise is worth considering, but Sun Valley definitely has the wow factor for scenery.

  6. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Howley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    626
    Day 1 drive 5 hr Provo to SV. Stop in Hailey for dinner at SV brewery on the way into town. Drive another 12 miles to Deer Creek end of dirt road and camp.

    Day 2 Ride Big - N Fork of Deer Creak to Howard's Trail to Greenhorn to Mars Ridge to Main Fork of Deer Creek - 5-8 hours.

    Day 3 Kinsey Creek to Curran (not as big-very scenic-great downhill back to camp)

    Day 4 Drive into Ketchum/SV go to YMCA for $5 showers - Drink schooners at Grumpy's
    Take lift to top of Baldy or ride Adams Gulch loop as easy day.

    30 mile big day ride from town ride south to Greenhorn up Mahony to Lodge Pole and down Red Warrior for happy ending at Frenchmen's Hot springs. 10 miles of dirt road back to town or arrange shuttle/pickup at hot springs.

    Keep going over the hill to Stanley or...call it and come back again with more time beer and a professional massage therapist ;-)

  7. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    283
    Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    Ditto this.

    Day 1, drive to Jackson, ride Ferrins-W. Game-Hagens
    Day 2, Teton Pass, ride Snotel-Phillips Ridge, do a shuttle lap on Jimmy's Mom (easy to ride around the big boy stuff.)
    Day 3 Teton Valley, Targhee area Ride Mill Creek-ColdSprings-RicksBasin-Lighting Ridge-back down Mill Creek.
    Day 4 Teton Valley, Big Holes - Shorter: Ride Horseshoe loops, Channel lock-Southbound-Cody's-Shark Belly-Bovine or
    Medium: Corral-Red Creek
    Longer: South F. Horseshoe-Elk Flats-S. Canyon-N.Canyon-S. Horseshoe
    Day 5 Madison Range, Sheep Creek out and back
    Day 6 Madison Range, Targhee Pass to Mile Creek.

    That would be a crusher week for me, but it's good to aim high. As others have said, late June would be the earliest to try this, especially the alpine stuff in the Madison Range. Bring bear spray.
    I am really liking this plan right now. Not a lot of driving and we will still hit all 3 states. I need to look into the trails more, but it seems like some awesome riding.

  8. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dir-T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,304
    Quote Originally Posted by Howley View Post
    Day 1 drive 5 hr Provo to SV. Stop in Hailey for dinner at SV brewery on the way into town. Drive another 12 miles to Deer Creek end of dirt road and camp.

    Day 2 Ride Big - N Fork of Deer Creak to Howard's Trail to Greenhorn to Mars Ridge to Main Fork of Deer Creek - 5-8 hours.

    Day 3 Kinsey Creek to Curran (not as big-very scenic-great downhill back to camp)

    Day 4 Drive into Ketchum/SV go to YMCA for $5 showers - Drink schooners at Grumpy's
    Take lift to top of Baldy or ride Adams Gulch loop as easy day.

    30 mile big day ride from town ride south to Greenhorn up Mahony to Lodge Pole and down Red Warrior for happy ending at Frenchmen's Hot springs. 10 miles of dirt road back to town or arrange shuttle/pickup at hot springs.

    Keep going over the hill to Stanley or...call it and come back again with more time beer and a professional massage therapist ;-)
    This is a great itenerary and very similar to me and my wife's last trip to SV. Only difference is that we're a bit more self-contained and use a solar shower at camp to avoid the extra driving.

  9. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    283
    I am really liking the Jackson, Teton, and Madison Range idea. It all seems pretty close, and the trails sound fun. Plus we will hit all 3 states. Right now that will be the plan. Would middle to late June work for these areas? I really like the Teton mtb page for trails. Is there an online map for the the Madison range trails? I haven' t been able to find one.

  10. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    265
    Recreational Topo Maps and Guidebooks,Beartooth Publishing, Bozeman, Big Sky, West Yellowstone, Montana

    this map shows the Madison area trails and there's tons of archived ride reports with pixels from previous summers archived on MTBR.

    You might want to use google search not MTBR search as older stuff is harder to find.

  11. #36
    beater
    Reputation: evasive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,773
    Quote Originally Posted by Howley View Post
    Day 1 drive 5 hr Provo to SV. Stop in Hailey for dinner at SV brewery on the way into town. Drive another 12 miles to Deer Creek end of dirt road and camp.

    Day 2 Ride Big - N Fork of Deer Creak to Howard's Trail to Greenhorn to Mars Ridge to Main Fork of Deer Creek - 5-8 hours.

    Day 3 Kinsey Creek to Curran (not as big-very scenic-great downhill back to camp)

    Day 4 Drive into Ketchum/SV go to YMCA for $5 showers - Drink schooners at Grumpy's
    Take lift to top of Baldy or ride Adams Gulch loop as easy day.

    30 mile big day ride from town ride south to Greenhorn up Mahony to Lodge Pole and down Red Warrior for happy ending at Frenchmen's Hot springs. 10 miles of dirt road back to town or arrange shuttle/pickup at hot springs.

    Keep going over the hill to Stanley or...call it and come back again with more time beer and a professional massage therapist ;-)
    Bookmarked for my own summer getaway.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

    Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

  12. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chukt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    101

    Montana Sticky Worthy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Montana Rider View Post
    this map shows the Madison area trails and there's tons of archived ride reports with pixels from previous summers archived on MTBR.
    Could you dig some of those old reports and resources up and make a Sticky for the ID/WY/MT board?

  13. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    220
    Quote Originally Posted by neblackb View Post
    Would middle to late June work for these areas? .
    Depends on the year. Last year yes, two years ago no. You'd probably be able to do some of the rides but not all. You're better off planning on coming later if you can.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •